Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Dreams That Glitter
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 9
2010/11/30 16:42:40 (permalink)

How To Sugar Detox?

Hello everone :)

So,i have the sweetest sweet tooth ever.I just cant go a day without.In fact i know i haven't gone a day without something sugary sinfully sweet "usually choclately too" in forever.So i was thinking i need to have a sort of sugary sweet detox.Im not saying i wont ever have anything sweet again because i don't think its healthy to "Ban" foods but i do think i need it too much."Needing" something sweet daily is not ok to me.And i think most of us could agree its definitely not healthy,right? I shouldn't need it,it should be a treat once in awhile not daily.So i would like to do a detox for i dont know how long...a month or two? Just to get myself off the routine of allowing myself sweets daily sometimes multiple times daily "hangs head shamefully" lol I think going a long time without having it at all will remind my body its a treat not a daily requirement.So i was wondering if anybody has done this sort of thing and how i could do it? I think its the same as a person stopping them self drinking too much coffee ,tea or soda.For me though i only drink water so my food addiction is sweets instead of soda or coffee drinks.So i was hoping you might have some tips on avoiding it.Or what to do when the urge gets strong etc Or any experience youve had like this. Thank you for reading and i hope some of you have some advice to share :)

20 Replies Related Threads

Lilac
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/05 16:48:42 (permalink)
    I've never done a sugar detox, but I also have a big sweet tooth. I don't eat it every day, but would if I kept it in the house. So I just don't keep it in the house.
    I think eating fruit helps--grapes, cherries, etc... It's sweet, but still good for you.
    I'm sure you will have cravings since you are used to it. You say you don't drink coffee, etc... But if I get big cravings, sometimes a cup of sugar-free General Foods International coffee will help, or a cup of tea (I usually drink mine with a bit of sugar and skim milk, but the sugar isn't as much as would be in say, a candy bar or some cookies.) Maybe something else would work for you.
    I guess my only tips for avoiding it would be, don't keep sweets in the house and have other snacks in your purse (raisins, nuts, fruit) in case a craving hits while you are out.
    I think the more days you go without sweets, the easier it will get, until it gets to be a habit not eating it regularly.
    Good luck (and welcome to the forum)!
    meadowsmom
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/05 22:50:57 (permalink)
    I have a huge sweet tooth!  I eat treats every single day!  But I HAVE gone without.  You just have to be VERY strict at first and over time you will crave it less and less.  I got to the point where I turned down treats brought in by coworkers (Krispy Kreme, Christmas cookies) with NO hesitation.  i think part of this desire to snack is just habit, or boredom.  When do you generally eat your sweets?  There may be some pattern associated with it.  If I am busy I don't think about eating treats; conversely if I go TOO long without eating I will eat whatever I can- and that may be reese's peanut butter cups!  I am in complete agreement with Lilac- I don't generally bring any treats into the house.  Or I buy something I have to make myself like brownies.  That way it's an effort.
    I read your post right after polishing off a piece of red velvet cake!  How timely.
    Cardius
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 279
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/06 10:36:23 (permalink)
    Just my 2 cents, but when anyone tells you just to eat fruit, it's just not going to cut it.   I have to wean myself from sweets at this time of the year, or anytime I get a hold of a great dessert.  I say when apples taste like Snickers bar, that's when I will eat fruit to curb my cravings.  What I would suggest to you is set a table for yourself each day this week.  Today you eat 5 or what ever number, tomorrow that amount will be 1 or  2 less.  Do that until you get down to one, then see if you can reduce that to 1 sugary item every other day and so on.  In that same amount of time add more fruit & vegtables to your snacking time.  If I have a glass of red wine, then I constitute that as "my" dessert. Tonight it will be a pumpkin latte from Starbucks with some friends of mine, and that's it.
    AnnieBananie
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/06 12:18:51 (permalink)
    Well, here's another spin on the sugar detox.  5 years ago when I lost 30+ pounds I started with diet, not ON a diet, but with my diet.  I followed the principles of the South Beach diet which has you do a no sugar including fruits, alcohol, white bad stuff (flour, sugar, processed foods, etc) phase for 2 weeks (you can look online to read more)  Mind you, the power of the dark side (sweets) is strong in this one, so that was so hard!!!

I was determined and made it through that 1st 2 weeks, and added/increased exercise, so 2 weeks and 11 pounds later after just 2 weeks, my cravings were significantly reduced if not elimated (granted, the 11 initial pounds were not just due to lack of sweets, because my whole diet was dramatically altered).  After 2 weeks you phase fruits back into your diet. I did discover that I have some sugar-processing issues so that was an influence for me, and now, I find sweet things WAY too sweet, they upset my stomach and impact my energy levels too significantly (crash!).  I never knew how all that sugar was affecting me!!  It was a pretty drastic move but something I, personally, really needed to do to jumpstart a body overhaul.

Just thought I'd share my experience and see if it gives you any ideas for yourself : )

~~The yogini says to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."
    Cardius
    • Total Posts : 279
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/06 16:52:55 (permalink)
    That's also a good idea AnnieBananie.  There is no magic bullet, just effort, desire and creativity.  Also, love your Peruvian proverb.
    cpcathy
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/07 13:03:04 (permalink)
    My two cents:

Also think about how you eat your chocolate. Are you eating it out of stress? Are people offering it to you so you can't say no? Are you enjoying it slowly or wolfing it down.
    I myself like to have a little sweet something every day, and I agree fruit does not cut it for me. Perhaps switch to dark chocolate, or chocolate covered acai berries (from Trader Joes if you have it), or if you eat milk chocolate, perhaps slow down and savor it, really enjoy it. I don't like to go without the things I like, so I just try to control portion size.

"Nobody said it Was Easy"--The Scientist
    Lilac
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/08 17:31:56 (permalink)
    An apple wouldn't cut it for me either, but those sweet dark cherries would. I love them. They are like candy for me, but unfortunately, in Maine anyway, they are only available for a few weeks out of the year.
    And I think if you are a true sugar addict, you can't keep it in the house and only eat a small portion. Maybe if you can just buy a small portion each day it would work, but if you are supposed to ration it out to yourself each day, for me at least, it wouldn't work out. I would eat the whole package.
    Slinks
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/09 01:10:35 (permalink)
    Yep !! another whole package person here, ain't that the pits .. many of you have read my beef with my MIL's sweet tooth, that solution was solved by putting a fridge in her room, it is actually in the house but it's in her room, out of sight, out of mind and the fact that it's in her room, well one just does not walk into anothers private domain ..

DTGlitter you could try what I do, when I do get a craving that can't be ignored, I go to the shop, between home and shop it gives you "time out" by then I feel better and will browse the soap, shampoo and face cream isle .. a little pampering goes a long way .. or opt for a flavoured yogurt, rice cream or something like that ..

$0
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2010/12/09 13:20:26 (permalink)
    No matter what tricks/substitutions/monitoring we use,  in the end, it comes back to will power  (and I am one who is in heaven with a box of brown sugar and a spoon.)   To be honest,  I remember my momma during tough moments.She did not have the benefits of our videos,  but she took a daily waik right up to the last of her life at age 91, and she always stayed slim and trim.  "The best exercise is to push yourself away from the table"..  my mom,  still inspiring me! Alice
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2010/12/09 13:21:13
    Calla
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 08:01:39 (permalink)
    I know this is an old post. But the holidays really set off my sweet tooth and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!
    kimd
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 08:40:30 (permalink)
    Depending on how you look at it, I'm either blessed or cursed by a body that-- so far, at least--metabolizes sugar pretty efficiently. I can't weigh in (no pun intended) on a detox method, but I found a Nat Geo article I read this past summer to be pretty interesting:http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/sugar/cohen-text?rptregcta=join_free_np&rptregcampaign=20130802_lightbox_membership_nonhp_allBTW to Lilac: ever read the ancient book, Blueberries for Sal? I felt a special connection to it when I was young. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberries_for_SalMy mom is a refugee from the chilly lands of Dexter, Maine, and I have to say that a RIPE batch of blueberries, though a rare find down here, is a real treat for both me and my hubby. In fact, we have a bowl of them on our kitchen counter right now...and they're going quickly. :)
    kimd
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 08:42:03 (permalink)
    My apologies to all for the run-on post above. Forum programming is beyond my control...
    Calla
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 11:30:41 (permalink)
    Interesting kimd I will check that out. Maybe blueberries will be the cure-all. : )
    katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 12:07:51 (permalink)
    Alice Kathleen
     "The best exercise is to push yourself away from the table"..  my mom,  still inspiring me! Alice

Love this AK!

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 12:58:50 (permalink)
    Here are a couple of ideas. 

*Think carbs, "sweets" are carbs...but so is bread and cereal.  Carbs drive our blood sugar up like a rocket, it goes up fast, and falls fast.  It has been shown that these unstable blood sugar levels increase hunger.  

Start with breakfast.  It's a new day, a fresh start, and when you are most committed.   When little treats sneak in, it's harder both physically and  mentally: "Opps I did it again, I'll do better tomorrow"  and then you continue with more sweets for the rest of the day.   For breakfast eat more protein and less carbs.   Fruit juice and pastries are out.  You might not make it all day...but if you make it further into the day that is progress.  Eat protein with every meal.

*Selectively eliminate high carb stuff.   Here's a good rule.  "Don't drink your sweets."  Fruit juice, soda's and sweetened coffee drinks are out.  
    *Think about adding healthy snack choices and bargain.  For example...."I'm going to eat some crunchy celery, or an apple.  I'm going to eat them slowly and enjoy the sensation of eating them.  I"m going to wait 20mins.  If I still must have a sweet.....I can then have that sweet.  But its going to be a really good sweet, and I am going to be fully present when I eat it and enjoy every sensation it offers."   The idea being is that you slow the whole thing down...dampen your appetite and hopefully eat the sweets less often, enjoy them more.....and eat a smaller amount of them. 

*For some people these techniques don't work...at least not at first....some do better going cold turkey.  If you do go cold turkey....plan for when you get past that initial stage.  I totally understand...when something becomes forbidden, you risk crossing over the the dark side and eating too much.  

*My achilles is having the stuff in the house.  If I know there are sweets in the house...they call my name relentlessly.  The only way I seem to shut it off is to eat it or throw it in the garbage.  "There. Done.  No more sweets.  No more calling me.  No more desire."  Not good.   What does work is if hubby buys just one, and then doesn't tell me about it.  If there is just one in the house when I get a craving, I'm satisfied with one.  
    *Stay hydrated.  If you start to crave, make yourself drink a glass of water then wait 10 minutes.  Don't eat when what your body really wants is water.

*Get enough sleep.  If you are overtired, it's hard to ignore the siren call of sweets.  Stack the odds in your favor.
    post edited by mlb - 2014/01/21 13:15:29
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/21 13:05:11 (permalink)
    Well crap.  I had a message with spaces...then tried to edit it to make it shorter...and the edit took out all the spaces. 
    edit...whew...fixed it....um kinda sorta fixed it....
    post edited by mlb - 2014/01/21 13:16:40
    Calla
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/22 04:10:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Bumble
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2014/01/24 08:10:31 (permalink)
    mlb - that was fantastic advice!
    amzoun95
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:How To Sugar Detox? 2019/07/29 08:40:43 (permalink)
    As someone who hasn't eaten sugar for 18 years due to an eating disorder I think it depends on why you are deciding to cut sugar out of your diet. Sugar is physiologically addictive and for many of us emotionally addictive to one degree or another. My experience and that of many other people with sugar addiction has been that the best way to eliminate both the physical and psychological addiction is to just stop it, not to detox gradually. Sugar cravings will persist both from the physical and emotional point of view if you continue to "feed" it even a little bit. Most people I know that have successfully stopped sugar (and I have worked with many people with eating disorders) do so by stopping it entirely and even reading labels to make sure you aren't getting it in unexpected foods. After 30 days the physical addiction is gone and the emotional one is greatly reduced. Are you paying someone for this "detox?"This is just my opinion based on my own and many other people's experience. If your way works, great. If you complete it and find you go back to sugar use (or abuse) somewhere down the line you might try totally cutting it out instead. People ask me how I have gone 18 years without sugar. My answer is "18 days is very hard, 18 years is easy". With support you can get through the first 30 days and then be sugar free (if that is your goal).

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    post edited by amzoun95 - 2019/07/30 06:27:00
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1