Yoga for strength training

Author
Patrish
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/01/05 21:32:19 (permalink)

Yoga for strength training

Just wondering if a regular yoga practice can net the same results as weight/strength training. Any thoughts?

12 Replies Related Threads

primdaisy
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 766
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/06 12:40:05 (permalink)
    I've wondered this too! Eoin Finn is a pretty buff yogi and I always wondered if he pumped iron as well as doing yoga.
    JessieMarie
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/07 06:52:38 (permalink)
    I've had this same conversation with the people at my yoga studio. 

The conclusion that we came to is that it depends on your strength starting out.  If you can comfortable do full plank, multiple full chaturangas, and other strength poses without any trouble then you probably need to add strength training as well. 

However, if you're like me doing planks and chaturangas on the knees, then yoga works for strength training because it is still challenging and building my muscles. 

Hope this helps.
    Nance
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/07 07:26:33 (permalink)
    I recently was listening to a radio show about the health benefits of exercise. The doctor being interviewed made a distinction between "activity" (walking, yoga) and "exercise" (running, weight lifting). My husband was listening and we got a laugh out of it--we workout together and he always wants to pick a yoga DVD. I tell him it isn't "real exercise" so we usually do yoga after something else like aerobics or a hike. I have been doing advanced power yoga workouts for years and sometimes feel a little "ping" from stretching but have only rarely experienced the muscle soreness you get from lifting heavy weights.
    Patrish
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/07 13:31:23 (permalink)
    I see what you're saying.  I too do not feel sore after a yoga session in the same way I would after a weight lifting session. 
    JessieMarie, your explanation makes sense too...I guess I'll keep lifting weights but not as often as I do want to incorporate more yoga on a regular basis.
    Dulcy
    • Total Posts : 2206
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/07 15:04:25 (permalink)
    try Bob's  biggest loser {yoga for weight loss}5608^(not his newer {inside out yoga}5898^)he holds body poses a long time and uses dumbells for upper body at the same time-that one hurts-as he said in the dvd  you will get a workout!!!
    Sessa
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/12 11:00:34 (permalink)
    It's like anything-it depends on the intensity of the workout. Some of those yoga poses are pretty demanding-the arm balances, chatturanga dandasana.  Not to mention just holding your own arms straight out or over your head for the bulk of 45-90 minutes.

I found that when I lifted weights and did Ashtanga yoga regularly, they complemented each other well and helped me "get there" faster in yoga. I hope one day (soon) to return to that peak arm buffness :)
    Patrish
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/12 13:33:22 (permalink)
    Just bought the Biggest Loser's {yoga workout}5608^ DVD and you're right.  I felt sore for quite a few days after doing it. I guess it all depends on the type of yoga, and the intensity.
    NicoleF
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/18 06:59:17 (permalink)
    There are maybe a dozen or so videos that use weights with Yoga. There has been a few threads in recent months on it. I find weights, even light ones with say {Skinny}5808^ or {Slim Sculpt}7925^ (or I have tried The Firm), make my arms too bulky and my shirt sleeves are uncomfortable. Not what I want. So I stopped using weights except maybe the Sculpts I mentioned, and only b/c I enjoy those dvds.
    I do Power Yoga several days a week, and have not lost any strength, but my sleeves arent so tight. Im sculpting rather than bulking. And I feel yoga reaches muscles regular gym training does not. Certian parts of your shoulders and upper back, for starters. And you rotator cuff (sp?). Your upper body muscles work together in a different way for every arm balance. A lot of it depends on the yoga you choose. Like for instance MArk Blanchard's True Strength. You can watch a clip on  truepoweryoga.com (ok for collage? you don't sell it) He is the king of chaturangas.

So I would say yes, it depends on your strength now, and your goal. And I find weight lifting boring. And there are days if i sklipped a day or two of Power Yoga that I feel muscle soreness. It really depends on the kind of yoga you do. Certian instructors focus on certain things. My Husband is a MArine and he cannot do the arm balances I do. And he could do the weight lifitng dvds even bootcamp styles sold on here without breaking a sweat. Or maybe a little sweat : ) He is amazed by what us yogis can do. 
    There is a whole exercise realm based on using just your body weight. Jason statham (from movies like Transporter, The expendables, The Italian Job, Death Race, The One, and too many to list) had a feature article in Men's Health about this. Look at him in Death Race. Every muscle is trained to perfection.   

And I find yoga to be a very real exercise : ) As long as you blend stretch stamina and strength.  And always push youself. If you can do it comfotably, it's too easy! Look up a complete list of arm balances and try them.

"It's yoga practice, not yoga perfect" - Mark Blanchard
    swimmy
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/18 09:50:00 (permalink)
    Jason Statham...YUM.
    I'll have to look at his pictures just to...understand what you mean. Yah, that's it.
    I'm going to check and see if he offers personal training assistance :-)

Anita
    flower child
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/19 09:41:00 (permalink)
    Nicole: Nicely stated post. You have piqued my interest in trying yoga again. I'm going to check out the website you mentioned.
    A_Size_Healthy
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/24 10:38:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for this thread. As a result, I have purchased several yoga dvds incliding Jillian, BL, and Rodney Yee.

It also helps the Collage is kicking butt in the price department these days; I cant' find prices this great anywhere including walmart. Thanks!
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Yoga for strength training 2011/01/26 07:22:05 (permalink)
    My thoughts, as one who has  practiced yoga since I was 15  (1962).  No.  
    However, one does build strength and endurance.  But will you pump up?  No.  That takes
    greater stress on the muscles, ie,  weights.   

You might consider giving Pilates a try.  I find it both more dynamic and more strength building than yoga. 
    But yoga is my first love,  always will be!   The focus, lengthening,  stretching, mindfulness, can't be beat.  
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1