lower body attack!

Author
amzzzy
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 11
2011/02/14 19:17:46 (permalink)

lower body attack!

I'm looking for a good total body workout with specific emphasis on the booty! Looking to attack the saddlebags, specifically! Would like to incorporate cardio! I'm intermediate/advanced and have successfully completed such workouts as, Turbo Jam and Brazil Butt-Lift. Looking for a program that would be comprable to Brazil Butt-Lift.

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

Denise 1234
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/02/25 07:30:03 (permalink)
    I don't have BBL but Collage has a few Brazilian dance dvds. Just search for Brazil and check out those. Maybe they will be what you like?
    Sessa
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/11 18:44:27 (permalink)
    I have the Dance and Be Fit {Brazilian Body}5569^ workout but I'm not that crazy about it. The cuing is kind of bad and I don't like some of the sequencing. I do like the capoeira segment.

You may want to try it before buying. In fact, if you lived anywhere near me I'd just give you mine. I don't think I'll be using it again.
    Michele Olson
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/18 22:09:18 (permalink)
    amzzzy

I'm looking for a good total body workout with specific emphasis on the booty! Looking to attack the saddlebags, specifically! Would like to incorporate cardio! I'm intermediate/advanced and have successfully completed such workouts as, Turbo Jam and Brazil Butt-Lift. Looking for a program that would be comprable to Brazil Butt-Lift.

Thanks!

Hello!

This article I co-wrote may be of interest to you:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_7_4/ai_n6006151/?tag=content;col1

Here is a short, follow-up article:
    http://healthfitness.frs.com/lose-weight-pear-shape-6412.html

I work with a lot of women who share your dilemna. You also have beengiven some excellent tips on workout DVDs in this thread.  I would onlyadd/agree that variety in your routine and one that punches up calorieexpenditure can be beneficial

Best wishes to you and hugs!  Doc Michele
    Michele Olson
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/18 22:10:32 (permalink)
    Here is another link that provides a nice explanation regarding fatdeposition in the legs, outer hips, etc.  Perhaps the tips toward theend of the article might be of interest.

Take care everyone!  Doc Michele : )

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/05/12/how-do-i-get-rid-of-saddlebags/
    amzzzy
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/19 21:24:03 (permalink)
    Hi Michele!

Thank you so much for the reply and the great articles! Very helpful! Your article described problems I've struggled with for years. I was on the BCP for a number of years and suffered all the side effects, including the wieght gain, water retention (bloating), mood swings, etc. I came off of the pill in Oct. of last year and immediately was able to drop weight! I definitely struggle with a hormonal imbalance as I fit your description for so to a T! Since coming off the pill, I have adjusted my diet and only eat grass fed/cage free/wild sorces of protein and organic fruits and vegetables. I'm slowly but surely making the changes that you suggested in your article. Thank you for the "skin care/cosmetic" source! My skin really took a turn for the worse when I came off the pill and I suffer from hormonal acne! I've had several doctors tell me it's due to a hormonal imbalance...but why is it they want to put me back on the pill to clear my skin up?!! I'm taking supplements and trying my best to clear it up the least invasive way I can.

I have put your dvd's in my wish list here. Can you suggest a rotation using them? In your article you mention doing intervals. I get confused with this term often, as there are "intervals with resistance training", "high intensity interval training", "cardio intervals". You also mentioned that "pear shapes" should do cardio every day. Is this even for those of us who don't have anymore weight to lose (I've lost 90lbs.)? I do walk a lot, as I have two furry personal trainers (my dogs)...but I'm not motivated to sprint around the neighborhood and I do best with a dvd instructor in my living room. :)  What type interval trainings are best and how many days a week?

i.e.

Monday: Areo/tone intervals (length?)
    Tues: Upper/lower body resistance training (length?) with steady-state cardio (length?)
    Wed: Areo/tone intervals (length?)
    Thurs. Upper/lower body resistance training (length?) with steady-state cardio (length?)
    Friday: Areo/tone intervals (length?)
    Sat: steady-state cardio
    Sun: rest (yoga/pilates/stretch) 

Thanks again for the great advice! It's very much appreciated! :)

Amy
    Michele Olson
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/21 19:25:53 (permalink)
    Hi Amy:

I am glad you enjoyed the articles at the links I posted.  A lot of women share you concerns...

Let's "talk" about intervals.  It is a term, like "core," that gets used so often that is has come to mean so many things and can get confusing.  Intervals are usually with respect to full-body moves such as cardio moves like running, jacks, jump rope, etc. But, full-body weight-bearing moves like kettlebell-style moves or moves like squat with an overhead press can be done in an interval style.  Usually one alternates anywhere from 8 to 30 seconds of high-intensity effort (going faster usually) with anywhere from 12 to 60 seconds of doing lower-intensity moves like "toe "taps," walking, slow jog as a "recovery" segment.

When you do several weight training style moves such as 30 seconds of push-ups, 30 seconds of alternating lunges, 30 seconds of back-rows, etc. etc. and you repeat all of those moves doing fairly high reps with moderate to low weight, that is more like a circuit.  You can also do the same with aerobic moves: 30 seconds jog, 30 seconds step-ups, 30 seconds of rope jumping, etc. repeat.  If the intensity is constant, it's more of a circuit with little to no rest going from one exercise to the next.

All of the above formats are fitness promoting.  It is good to vary them (re: circuits, intervals, etc. through the week).

Here is a sample based on your example:

--Monday - I think a good aero-tone workout (DVD) that is 45-60 minutes is great: circuits and/or intervals (or both).  Total body and cardio focus - good. A lot of people like "{Atletica}5903^" because it provides cardio while using some weights, getting in a some calorie-burning, heart-rate-elevating push-ups, KB-Style moves, and so on... Some of Michelle Dozios' workout are high-energy total body that can "count" as aero/tone cardio. Don't get too worried about specifics.  If the DVD is close to 60 minutes and gets you sweating, it is probably fine!

--Tuesday - Yes. Hit Upper body (30 minutes or so) and do cardio (30-40-ish minutes).

--Wednesday - Switch to lower body - 30 minutes or so (you could do one segment from {Perfect Legs, Glutes and Abs}5830^ -- I state that because you asked how it could fit in to a rotation - but a Cathe' lower body could be good, too, etc.).  You could then do cardio -- steady state step, for example, OR, for a change-up, do go after an interval cardio workout.  Either is fine...I rather like an interval one coupled with upper body, personally.

Thursday - Back to Upper Body with Cardio (similar to Tues.) and steady-state cardio (again, similar to Tues.).

Friday - Legs/lower body again (you could do the second segment of Perfect Legs, Glutes and Abs or, again, any good lower body workout - even something like "{Squeeze Lower Body}5610^" for variety).  And, interval Cardio for 30-ish minutes.

Saturday - Like Monday - a total body, high energy cardio-type workout.  It could be something like "Athletica," again. As a sidebar, because, once again, you noted that the "10 Minute Solution KB-Style DVD" is something on your wish list - that you wanted to know about regarding a rotation, ...well, it could work here or, too - or, another nice high-energy cardio/tone workout with a lot of standing functional moves.

Sunday - Yes! Rest, Yoga, extra stretching, Pilates (I am prejudiced for Pilates b/c of the research I have done on it : )  LOL

PLEASE NOTE: It is implied that you would get your abs and core at least 3 days per week (M,W,F or Tu,Th, Sat - four days would be fine, too: M, Tu, Th, Sat, for example).

Hope this helps!  Am happy to give you advice.  This is why we all here on the forum : )  So, thank you for these great questions!  Of course : )

Take care! Hugs!  Doc O : )
    post edited by Michele Olson - 2011/03/21 21:38:13
    amzzzy
    Re:lower body attack! 2011/03/22 16:09:57 (permalink)
    Oh my GOSH! This is so AWESOME, Dr. Olson!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and providing me with the rotation ideas! That was perfect and just what I was looking for! Just put both your workouts in my cart and I can't wait to get them and get started working out with you! :) Let me know if you come out with any other workouts, please. I love pilates too...getting better at this type of workout. VERY relaxing but still challenging. ;)

Thanks again so much for all your help! I will be sure to share this info with all my friends as well... :)

Amy
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1