Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Ester
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2011/09/22 00:19:52 (permalink)
I really think that the food that we eat has a great impact on our overall health. Regardless of how intense or low impact or not doing any workout at all, if we are not eating the right food, we will feel pain specially if we are not getting any younger. I suggest to eat less salt and meat. Since we all have a very active life, or doing a lot of workout, we should consider to drink as many water as we can as this flushes all the bad stuffs inside our body. It's not all about working out to be healthy and strong, we should combine it with healthy diet.
kimd
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2012/04/03 08:57:23 (permalink)
There are tons of great suggestions here! I'd like to add just one.

I have bad knees too, but I get bored with the therapy-band exercises my chiro recommended and don't want to cut out all the higher-impact stuff. I got myself some quality knee braces for the tougher workouts, and have gradually increased the impact of some of them when I felt I could do so safely. My leg muscles have gotten stronger a little more quickly than with the rehab exercises alone. I find that my knees don't hurt nearly as much as they used to, even without the braces. Listen to the experts, listen to your body, and pace yourself.
post edited by kimd - 2012/04/03 09:01:32
throwtoy
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2012/04/13 07:05:46 (permalink)
I have some wrist issues and when they act up, a good way to take some of the pressure of them during planks is to use a couple yoga blocks. put the palms of your hand on top near the edge and let your fingers come over the side. It helps me tons.but yeah like others said, get a little rest and maybe throw in a little mind body action, you'd be surprised how tough something like {Reach}7509^ by Kari Anderson can be since it's working the muscles in such a different way.good luck!
Slinks
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 5001
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2012/04/13 16:42:41 (permalink)
kimd

I got myself some quality knee braces for the tougher workouts, and have gradually increased the impact of some of them when I felt I could do so safely. My leg muscles have gotten stronger a little more quickly than with the rehab exercises alone. I find that my knees don't hurt nearly as much as they used to, even without the braces. Listen to the experts, listen to your body, and pace yourself.

I have been doing some building, going up and down ladders, up and down ramps and generally running my knee into the ground, yesterday I thought to put a knee sleeve on it with a bandage over the top and "it worked" last night when I took it off the iffyness came back but not half as much as it would've had I not had the support, I was thinking then that I will have to get myself a good brace so I can keep up my workouts after the building is done - your post has given me hope  :-)

$0
SuzyQ
Silver member (100-199 posts)
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2012/04/19 07:43:19 (permalink)
Wish I could trust what by body is telling me more than I actually do.  If my body tells me I'm tired and should go easier on my workouts, am I really tired or just being lazy?  If my body tells me I'm hungry between meals or hungrier than usual, do I really need the extra fuel or do I just want to eat more because I'm giving myself license to do so?  It seems whenever I relax my grip and try to enjoy things more I end up regretting it later because I've either overdone it or I perceive that I've overdone it.  Not really looking for any answers, just needing to vent.
Mary Anne
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 234
Re:Workouts leave me feeling like an 80 yr old woman!!! 2012/04/19 08:27:07 (permalink)
I am a former marathon runner and high impact aerobics junkie.  I am now a little thicker through the middle and stick to martial arts (at a dojo -- all live training, non DVD's,) kettlebell or other circuit dvd's about 2x a week and yoga the rest of the week.  I feel stronger now than I have since I was in my 30's ( I will be 50 in June.)  I still like to get a little impact to really get my heart rate up, but I'm with everyone else here -- lower your intensity or take a true break at least 1 day a week.  Yoga has really helped me to eliminate muscle aches in my neck, shoulders, and upper back.  The greater your range of motion, the more efficiently you can move.  I second the suggestion of incorporating something like Rodney Yee's {AM Yoga for Your Week}5567^.  Ashley Turner also has a great DVD called {Yoga for Flexibility and Stress Relief}5940^.  It's good for a day off because it's really meant to relieve stress.  It is part of the "Element" series of DVD's.  Both are available through Collage.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1