Workout order

Author
Bamacat
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 5
2011/09/12 20:39:54 (permalink)

Workout order

I am trying to find information on whether it matters if you do cardio workouts before a sculpting workout, or vice versa.  I seem to remember that it is best to do cardio first, then follow with sculpting if the workouts are separate.  Currently I am working out on my elliptical, then following with Jennifer Kries pilates workouts(planning to start alternating with Mari Winsor workouts as well).  I enjoy the stretching aspect of the Kries workouts, but having my head hanging down during down dogs and sun salutations is a little rough when recovering from cardio.  Does anyone know if it matters either way whether I do pilates before or after cardio?  I workout before going to work in the morning, so I don't have time to cool down very much, plus I've always wanted to capitalize on the calorie burn.

Thanks for your input!

7 Replies Related Threads

MRS
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/12 22:10:59 (permalink)
    Since there's not much research that specifies one way or the other, it mostly depends upon your individual goals as which to do first: cardio or strength. If your goal is weight loss, they say cardio should be first, as to be able to be "fresh" to give it your all. If your goal is building strength, then doing strength workouts should be done first before you're fatigued and can lift heavier. If you do cardio right after strength training when you're trying to build muscle, the glycogen or muscle fuel becomes depleted. I usually like to do them on separate days, but if that's not an option, then go with the above method.

I don't think it matters whether cardio or pilates has a preferred time. I, personally, like to do cardio first just so I can say I did the "hard" workout first. Then pilates would be considered my cool-down after the cardio workout since it involves lots of stretching.

~~MRS~~ 
    PhyllisG
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/13 05:49:03 (permalink)
    I prefer doing the strength first and then finishing with cardio. Somehow the cardio just loosens me up and gets me moving again. I am doing TA's Meta Omni and do her "muscular structure" work first and then cardio. If I do cardio first, I can't finish all the reps for ms.
    LyricColoratura
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/19 08:45:01 (permalink)
    I do the cardio (usually treadmill) first, then do the strengthening after, using the cooldown stretches in the dvd to stretch out whatever muscles were used in the running.  This is especially effective when I do a barre-type workout after running because the barre dvds usually do a strengthening move followed immediately by a stretch and continue in that manner throughout the workout with a final stretch at the end.  I have found that I am less sore the next morning than when I just ran and did a few stretches on my own afterward.
    willow
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 452
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/21 03:13:24 (permalink)
    I always always do cardio first
    megw
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/21 11:55:34 (permalink)
    There are some toning workouts that - when I am done I can hardly make it up the stairs. Because of the I have alway done my cardio first unless it is an interval workout.
    Bamacat
    Re:Workout order 2011/09/26 14:51:13 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody.  I've had Internet issues so I couldn't respond before now, but I do appreciate the inputs!
    kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Workout order 2012/04/03 08:45:32 (permalink)
    If I'm doing both on the same day, I always do cardio first. It warms me up, loosens my muscles, and gets my adrenaline going.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1