Non-Cardio Kickboxing

Author
MEG
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 216
2011/09/29 16:52:20 (permalink)

Non-Cardio Kickboxing

Anyone know of any toning/strength training workouts that incorporate kickboxing kicks--preferably at a slow pace?  I'm a hate-squats-and-lunges exerciser, and I usually substitute KB moves in my circuit workouts, to good effect--so I got to wondering if any non-cardio workouts use them.

18 Replies Related Threads

AnnieBananie
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/09/29 18:09:31 (permalink)
    hmmm, Cathe's {Kick Max}7425^ comes to mind.  The latter part of the workout is a legs-specific toning workout that incorporates kicks, not sure about the pace but it's done standing with a chair for the most part.  Do you already have that one?  That sounds like it might fit your bill.

~~The yogini says to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."
    MEG
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/09/30 12:06:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, AB--I looked at the clip, and that toning portion is exactly what I had in mind!
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/09/30 12:59:55 (permalink)
    i think one of kathy smith's kickboxing workouts has a section where you stand at a chair and practice slow kicks as well.  i don't think it's aerobox with michael o, but i can't remember the name of the other one.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    MEG
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/09/30 14:13:02 (permalink)
    Hi, Vannie--I do have the Kathy Smith one, on a compilation DVD.  The toning segment is only about 5 mins, though...it's actually more of a tutorial.  I've used it as an add-on from time to time.  Incidentally, the compilation DVD includes aerobox, and though I don't do the entire workout, I've used the warmup and punch segment as add-ons, too.
    AnnieBananie
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/09/30 20:15:56 (permalink)
    MEG

Thanks, AB--I looked at the clip, and that toning portion is exactly what I had in mind!

Cool!  So happy when I get to help a fellow FF : )

willow
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 452
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/02 02:47:30 (permalink)
    I was thinking patricia monroe
    MRS
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/05 09:55:06 (permalink)
    {Core Cross Train Kickbox}7948^ (Patricia Moreno) would be an excellent choice. She shows great form but doesn't jump around a lot. I was also going to mention Cathe's {Kick Max}7425^ - that lower body toning section is fantastic! Also, another mention would be the Slim Series workouts. They contain lots of lower body moves that mimic kickboxing kicks but not much jumping and are more strength focused but still give a cardio effect. However, they DO include lots of squats and some lunges. ;)  For not having much cardio in them, they really are great for producing slimming effects.

~~MRS~~ 
    MEG
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/05 14:07:48 (permalink)
    Hi, MRS--The Moreno workout does look good.  I love workouts filmed outdoors!  I have one Slim Series workout, Mix It Up, and of course I do kicks during the squats and lunges.  Do you have a favorite from the Slim Series?
    MRS
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/06 09:55:37 (permalink)
    I guess my choice would be Shape It Up. I'm currently doing a SS rotation and been breaking up the longer workouts and usually adding in more yoga/cardio throughout the week. At this time of year, I sort of get into a workout funk so I need to do workouts which have no dread factor for me. (Of course, I play my own music and watch TV on my other TV while doing these - makes the time fly by!) 

I like Shape b/c it has knee strengthening exercises during the floorwork which I find helpful. This includes kicks too and has a standing section using ankle weights for stationary toning of the legs.

~~MRS~~ 
    MEG
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/06 12:09:18 (permalink)
    Thanks, MRS--Shape It Up sounds like one I'd like, too.  Especially the knee strengtheners!  Don't know if you ever dip into Video Fitness Forum, but someone started an interesting thread this week about SS.  The title is something like, What's So Magical about Slim Series.

I know what you mean about workout funk at this time of year.  I just can't seem to stick with anything for very long.  Fortunately, I have a good collection to choose from.  And there's probably nothing wrong with doing a round of  mini-rotations from time to time.  The spice of life, and all that!
    MRS
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/09 14:42:05 (permalink)
    MEG, just an FYI - my quads are STILL sore from Debbie's Shape It Up floorwork completed on Friday!! The leg lifts are brutal - esp. w/ ankle weights! You keep your knees bent at the same level while sitting on the mat and just raise the lower leg to meet the knee height....add to that...a massive variation of reps! OUCH!! :)

Just thought I should give you a heads up just in case you purchase this one! :) One of these days I'll be able to walk again, LOL!

~~MRS~~ 
    AnnieBananie
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/09 16:40:50 (permalink)
    MEG
    I know what you mean about workout funk at this time of year.  I just can't seem to stick with anything for very long.

Me three!  Maybe it's the change of seasons or something, but I'm having some attention issues!  I feel a bit better knowing it's not just me though : )

MRS
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/10 10:44:48 (permalink)
    I swear, it's the time of year! I think it may be the seasonal changes... and my allergy issues are reflecting that as well...

Maybe I'm just needing a good dose of new workouts to get me motivated!! :) Oh Cathe...how many more days??? LOL
    post edited by MRS - 2011/10/10 10:45:43

~~MRS~~ 
    AnnieBananie
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/10 17:50:39 (permalink)
    I agree--maybe we just need to change things up for awhile.  My DH says this happens to me every fall---huh, I guess he does pay some attention!  And I have to keep coming back here--sometimes I have to feed off everyone else's energy and enthusiasm : )

MEG
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/11 12:32:48 (permalink)
    I hear you, AB and MRS!  Just changed my rotation AGAIN--for about the fourth time since September.  What's really aggravating my autumnal restlessness this year is the fact that I'll be moving to a new apt this month--same building, one floor down, but still--I'm feeling very unsettled!  Now is the time I'm really thankful for all the 10-Minute workout DVDs I've accumulated.  At least I can manage mini-workouts after work--and that's about all I have energy for, what with packing, sorting, obsessing, fretting, etc. etc. etc.
    AnnieBananie
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/11 15:15:46 (permalink)
    That would absolutely be distracting.  Good luck with your move!!

Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/11 18:22:23 (permalink)
    okay, now i'm going to have to do shape it up soon.  have only done burn it up and slim and limber.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    MRS
    Re:Non-Cardio Kickboxing 2011/10/13 09:22:54 (permalink)
    MEG

I hear you, AB and MRS!  Just changed my rotation AGAIN--for about the fourth time since September.  What's really aggravating my autumnal restlessness this year is the fact that I'll be moving to a new apt this month--same building, one floor down, but still--I'm feeling very unsettled!  Now is the time I'm really thankful for all the 10-Minute workout DVDs I've accumulated.  At least I can manage mini-workouts after work--and that's about all I have energy for, what with packing, sorting, obsessing, fretting, etc. etc. etc.

Kudos to you for getting in ANY workouts at all! Stressful time for you - take care!

~~MRS~~ 
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1