65 & trying again

Author
iris
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 7
2011/10/23 14:16:06 (permalink)

65 & trying again

Stamina.... ??  I have been back into working out for 4 weeks.  The drive is high cholesterol and hi blood pressure; wanting to be with grand kids a long time.  So... I can handle a 1 hr workout w/Leslie Sansone and a 75 minute workout with Gilad... have lost 8 lbs and lots of inches... I want to try the kettlebell and really look good.... how to keep the momentum going?  I can't workout 7 days in a row... what workout will get me carved up more?

10 Replies Related Threads

Slinks
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/23 15:52:57 (permalink)
    Hey  :-)  CONGRATS !!! a new path, a new life .. hope you have lots of fun with those grandkids ..

Carve up - I think Jari Love's (I don't like KBells - I'll leave that for someone else) Jari has a couple of older girls working out with her in {Get Ripped}7450^ - {Slim & Lean}7629^ - {Ripped & Chisled}7900^ and {Ripped to the Core}7639^, these workouts are guaranteed to "carve you out"  :-)

$0
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/23 16:19:19 (permalink)
    Congratulations iris.  I am 55 and started out with kettlebells a few years ago.  Some one else may have better ideas than I do.  However I started out with Kettle bell Way to Your Perfect Body  and Lauren Brook's Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning vol. 1.  Both have great tutorials but neither are sold here.  Both have about 2 minutes with the kettlebell and 1 min off before starting again. They  are not sold here at Collage Video but if you are interested in them I can pm you where you could get them - there will also be clips - check here under kettlebell and you may get some more ideas.
    Also I started with a 10lber but there are lighter ones.
       Paul Katimi has some good ones but there are no breaks and I have a tough time getting through those so I would wait on them.    There a few others - Gin Miller and Dr. Micelle Olsen have workouts but I have not done those so maybe someone else could tell you about those.
    As for Jari - she is great.  Lots of reps light weights.  The {original Ripped}7450^ would be good.  {Ripped and Chiseled}7900^ is  a tough  one for me.  Don't let Jari scare you. At first all those reps were intimidating but you don't have to do them all.
    Good luck.  Hope you like your kettlebell
    FdeBear
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/23 17:34:35 (permalink)
    Hey! I'm sooo glad you posted. I'm 60ish and know just where you're coming from! I've been a customer of Collage for many years and part of the fun I have is finding workouts that work for my body. I've been recently diagnosed with diabetes and I also share some of your conditions. But working with my healthcare team, I never felt better in my life. I try to work out everyday, but don't mind taking a couple of days off when my body says "whoa!". I learned we older girls need a bit more recovery time.  I'm going to give you a list of my picks available at Collage. I loooove kettlebells! Collage has improved its collection, but the specific ones that I really want to recommend to you are not offered here. I wish there was some way to get the information to you, but we'll worry about that later.

Kettlebells are great for folks in our age group because they are adjustable, easy on the knees, aerobic and strength building. You can also put on some "hot" music and dish that ancient stuff they usually play on videos for so-called "seniors" :).  Here are the best for our age group in my opinion: Gin Miller's {Calorie Burner Workout with Kettlebells}5588^, {Kettlebell 3 in 1}5667^ with Amy Bento, Paul Katami's {Kettlebells Drills}5936^ and {Kombos}5946^ (2 dvds) and {Kettlebell Bootcamp}5658^ with Angie Miller. Modify your movements for the last two DVDs. You can review them and if they don't work for you Collage has a good return policy.

Here are a few more recommendations for boomers (challenging, but easy on  the joints): Linda LaRue's {Core Transformer 3D 1000 Calorie Burn}9758^ (whew!) anything by Karen Voigt (I like her {Slim Physique}7090^ and Sleek Essentials), Cathe {Travel Fit}5806^, Bernadette Giorgi Just B Method, and this week I enjoyed Sharon Twombly's {Zero to Sixty}6043^ and {Atletica}5903^ Volume 1 with Ilaria Montagnani. I also recommend Jari Love's Get Ripped Collection (the early DVDs) All available here at Collage. Let me know what you think. It's lonesome out here and I'd enjoy hearing from you here at the forum.

One more word. Since some of the Kettlebell instructors here are RKC certified - Google RKC and names like Andrea Du Cane and Lauren Brooks. I wish you health and glad we had this chance to meet. I hope you feel you came to the right place.
    iris
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/23 23:59:19 (permalink)
    OMG (as my daughter would say) - thank u so much!!!!!  I have decided to go for the kettlebell workouts.  Doc said it is not "if" I am going to have a big problem, but "when."  Scared me... so I have 3 months to show him I am taking very good care of myself!  Nice thing about working out hard (big sweat) I am in a great mood all day long!  Glad I posted here too!
    FdeBear

Hey! I'm sooo glad you posted. I'm 60ish and know just where you're coming from! I've been a customer of Collage for many years and part of the fun I have is finding workouts that work for my body. I've been recently diagnosed with diabetes and I also share some of your conditions. But working with my healthcare team, I never felt better in my life. I try to work out everyday, but don't mind taking a couple of days off when my body says "whoa!". I learned we older girls need a bit more recovery time.  I'm going to give you a list of my picks available at Collage. I loooove kettlebells! Collage has improved its collection, but the specific ones that I really want to recommend to you are not offered here. I wish there was some way to get the information to you, but we'll worry about that later.

Kettlebells are great for folks in our age group because they are adjustable, easy on the knees, aerobic and strength building. You can also put on some "hot" music and dish that ancient stuff they usually play on videos for so-called "seniors" :).  Here are the best for our age group in my opinion: Gin Miller's {Calorie Burner Workout with Kettlebells}5588^, {Kettlebell 3 in 1}5667^ with Amy Bento, Paul Katami's {Kettlebells Drills}5936^ and {Kombos}5946^ (2 dvds) and {Kettlebell Bootcamp}5658^ with Angie Miller. Modify your movements for the last two DVDs. You can review them and if they don't work for you Collage has a good return policy.

Here are a few more recommendations for boomers (challenging, but easy on  the joints): Linda LaRue's {Core Transformer 3D 1000 Calorie Burn}9758^ (whew!) anything by Karen Voigt (I like her {Slim Physique}7090^ and Sleek Essentials), Cathe {Travel Fit}5806^, Bernadette Giorgi Just B Method, and this week I enjoyed Sharon Twombly's {Zero to Sixty}6043^ and {Atletica}5903^ Volume 1 with Ilaria Montagnani. I also recommend Jari Love's Get Ripped Collection (the early DVDs) All available here at Collage. Let me know what you think. It's lonesome out here and I'd enjoy hearing from you here at the forum.

One more word. Since some of the Kettlebell instructors here are RKC certified - Google RKC and names like Andrea Du Cane and Lauren Brooks. I wish you health and glad we had this chance to meet. I hope you feel you came to the right place.
    Willowy
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/25 23:55:25 (permalink)
    Congratulations on your new healthy lifestyle! I will just echo Slinks' suggestion that Jari Love's "body pump" style strength workouts (older series particularly) would be my recommendation as well, but good luck with kettlebells!
    iris
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/28 12:20:22 (permalink)
    omg - since the last post I have lost a lot of inches - around the waist even; but the scale barely moves.  I have a very nutritional diet and I give the workouts my all.  I must admit I sure look different but the scale is stuck.  I used the scale at doc office and it is the same.  What the heck?????????  I make sure to stay hydrated as well.  My pants even fell off the last workout!!!!  Why no weight loss???????
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/28 12:34:13 (permalink)
    Hi,  I am right with you!  I am 66 and also found to have high cholesterol.    I do not do hour work outs(except for an hour swim when our pools are open).    I do 20 to 30 min in the am, and often 10 t0 20 more in the evening.   I suggest if you are not using weights, to add free weights every other day  (I use weights Sun/Tues/Friday)  for strong arms and core.    Pilates and yoga are my mainstays,  as I have arthritis and need to stretch daily.   Finally,  if you do not have a bike, I really suggest considering one.   I bike on all my daily errands,  post office, bank, etc.  Or walk if a bike is out of the question.   There are lots of ways to fit exercise into each day,  and at our age, thejoy is that we have the experience and knowledge of our own body,  and hopefully have more  time to enjoy the good life.   As for the diet,  I am reading some books from the library, and will just commit to an even better diet and even smaller portions.  Heart disease and HTN runs in myfamily, my father died at 48 of a heart attack, and I know I cannot outrun my genetic destiny, but it's a challenge to always do better,  eat healthfully,  take the time for one of the 10 Minute Solution videos.  Best to you, Alice  PS An aerobic video you might likeis {Walk Away the Belly Fat}5723^ with Ellen Barrett, which has 25 min of easy aerobics and 10 min of abs.  

post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2011/10/28 12:35:55
    iris
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/28 13:43:39 (permalink)
    Hi Alice and Thank u.  I have doubled my weights during workouts, like u did a tremendous reading and changed everything and use portion control.  I think I will mix up my workouts throughout the day and when my tv programs come on watch them on the treadmill.  In the area of Nevada I live in it is difficult to walk outside, but I like what u said so will add that to my agenda.    I have ordered more dvds I anxiously await them.  Kettlebell workout should arrive soon.  Also have to use weights for osteoporsis issues.  My blood pressure is much lower, need to call doc and ask to lower meds cuz I get a little dizzy getting up from floor exercises and my bp is 100 over 70  during exercise.  My muscles feel much stronger especially abs so the weight loss thing is irritating me.  I have to lose 12 lbs by Dec  (current weight is 150,  I am 5'7" small frame) or I go on Cholesterol meds and I don't like the side affects of some of the meds.

Alice Kathleen

Hi,  I am right with you!  I am 66 and also found to have high cholesterol.    I do not do hour work outs(except for an hour swim when our pools are open).    I do 20 to 30 min in the am, and often 10 t0 20 more in the evening.   I suggest if you are not using weights, to add free weights every other day  (I use weights Sun/Tues/Friday)  for strong arms and core.    Pilates and yoga are my mainstays,  as I have arthritis and need to stretch daily.   Finally,  if you do not have a bike, I really suggest considering one.   I bike on all my daily errands,  post office, bank, etc.  Or walk if a bike is out of the question.   There are lots of ways to fit exercise into each day,  and at our age, thejoy is that we have the experience and knowledge of our own body,  and hopefully have more  time to enjoy the good life.   As for the diet,  I am reading some books from the library, and will just commit to an even better diet and even smaller portions.  Heart disease and HTN runs in myfamily, my father died at 48 of a heart attack, and I know I cannot outrun my genetic destiny, but it's a challenge to always do better,  eat healthfully,  take the time for one of the 10 Minute Solution videos.  Best to you, Alice  PS An aerobic video you might likeis {Walk Away the Belly Fat}5723^ with Ellen Barrett, which has 25 min of easy aerobics and 10 min of abs.  

Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/29 11:25:33 (permalink)
    Hey, that approach sounds great!  (by the way,  we are considering a LV vacation real soon, if Ican find a quiet, non-gambling motel far from the Strip,  hopefully close to yarn store!)  I too have to get busy and get this cholesterol down.  I realize that though I have a healthy diet,  I have never in my life read the cholesterol portion of any food item.  I watch the salt, not the fat, and I guess now I have to watch both!   This morning, I did Tami Lee's Tight onTime, and since we don't have internet at home,  rode my bike to Starbucks.    My physician told me to drop 10 pounds by March.   I suspect a low thyroid but labs are normal, so will just have to do it.   I am 5 ft 4 inches tall with a small frame, so just a few pounds more or less show up fast.   Keep us posted on your progress and favorite videos.
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2011/10/29 11:26:20
    iris
    Re:65 & trying again 2011/10/29 12:23:04 (permalink)
    Well, well.... I got a call back from Dr and he said to cut bp meds in half and up my water intake.  So I did that and I am feeling "normal", not dizzy or tired.  He said weight should start to come off pretty quickly if his thinking is correct; if not go back in and see him.   My kettlebell work out is great!!!!  I started with the {gin miller}5588^ dvd and just got the feel of this new thing.  Just that little bit was a good workout on abs.  Need to take 2 days off and then Monday will go at it again.  I am going to use the Gilad {Quick Fit System}7061^ and use Kettlebell on days I do toning.    I dreamt about corn beef and cabbage... LOL

Alice Kathleen

Hey, that approach sounds great!  (by the way,  we are considering a LV vacation real soon, if Ican find a quiet, non-gambling motel far from the Strip,  hopefully close to yarn store!)  I too have to get busy and get this cholesterol down.  I realize that though I have a healthy diet,  I have never in my life read the cholesterol portion of any food item.  I watch the salt, not the fat, and I guess now I have to watch both!   This morning, I did Tami Lee's Tight onTime, and since we don't have internet at home,  rode my bike to Starbucks.    My physician told me to drop 10 pounds by March.   I suspect a low thyroid but labs are normal, so will just have to do it.   I am 5 ft 4 inches tall with a small frame, so just a few pounds more or less show up fast.   Keep us posted on your progress and favorite videos.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1