cardio and no strength training as you lose weight

Author
Dee
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/11/10 14:08:04 (permalink)

cardio and no strength training as you lose weight

I have a friend who is losing weight but she was told not to do any strength training as she loses.  Only cardio because if she strength trains that impedes her weightloss.  To me that doesn't make sense.  Can you help?

Thank you.

7 Replies Related Threads

Numbers Girl
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 610
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/10 14:27:19 (permalink)
    You need to strength train while dieting so that you don't lose muscle in addition to losing fat.
    Slinks
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/10 15:06:09 (permalink)
    Numbers Girl is correct .. as you are too Dee .. I would think that this issue come up because strength training will add muscle under the fat thus bulking and looking bigger .. plus the scales/numbers factor, muscle is more compact than fat, the saying muscle weighs more than fat is not true because a kilo of fat and a kilo of musle obviously weigh the same .. For someone to lose weight in numbers therefore needs to lay off strength training .. confusion !!  lol - muscle helps to burn fat ..

I have in the past laid off strength training, doing only cardio to blow off a few kilos ..

$0
    Exerciseman
    • Total Posts : 1353
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/10 15:06:10 (permalink)
    If all you are looking at is the scale then cardio is the most important in the short run. The muscle you gain from strength training makes the scale move slower, but in the long run, the increased metabolism from more muscle more than makes up for it.
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/10 19:05:56 (permalink)
    Putting diet aside, and the possibility that the person is consuming more calories....consider exercise assuming consumption remains constant........

What I've read, and what I've observed in myself is that when I strength train, is it does effect my weight...my weight goes up (temporarily) after a strength training session.  But it does not slow my weight loss overall.  After a challenging workout my body sends extra fluid and compound to the muscle to make them stronger and more able what was asked of them.  We often work our muscles differently from day to day...such as a split routine.  So just when the muscle are ready to release the extra fluid, we go and work another set, and that set of muscle holds extra water.  Miss a few weight training workouts altogher, and the muscle shed the extra fluids.

But we are decidated exercisers.....we stick it out long enough to weather the little blips and variations in our weight, and try not to let it bother or deter us.  But think about how many people are not experianced or decidated, how many people start an exercise program but never stick with it longer than a week or so.  I"m betting that there more people that start training and give it up quickly, than those that are consistent.   They start to add weight training, see the little extra fluid weight gain and go OMG, I'm gaining weight, and they quit.  They don't stick with it long enough to realize that it is a normal part of getting fit and that if they stick with it and look their results over a longer period of time, they lose just as fast, faster even.  And thus weight training and weight gain becomes one of those misconceptions, and urban legend.

My own exeriance is that when I choose just walking for exercise, I don't get the little ups and down, my weight is more even.  Of course, I know that working my body in a variety of ways, even if it builds muscle, especially if it builds muscle, is good.
    Numbers Girl
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/11 14:48:19 (permalink)
    I continually find myself going back to this article and the and the article that the author cites:
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/fitnessforreallife/busting-strength-training-myths-women

This makes sense to me.
    Numbers Girl
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/11 14:52:58 (permalink)
    And I continually have to read Myth #4 to keep myself on track.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:cardio and no strength training as you lose weight 2011/11/12 11:10:20 (permalink)
    Well, who told her that?   I have worked with free weights three times a week for 30 years.   In my opinion,  weights are tops for toning, strengthening,  re shaping the body.   I am 66 andhave no jiggles on my arms,  wear tank tops and bikini.   Bone mass excellent.   I attribute any and all of my toning to weight work.    It works, period.   Leave it out, and you can beslim, but weak,  and flabby.  yuck.  That said,  Pilates and Yoga are strengthening,  so is swimming, to the max.  
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2011/11/12 11:11:34
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1