Staying Motivated

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
MonaLisa
Silver member (100-199 posts)
  • Total Posts : 148
2011/11/27 08:55:37 (permalink)

Staying Motivated

How does one stay motivated during the winter months?  I was diligent from February through September however, when the new school year started and I was given new responsibilities at work my workouts became far and few in between.  I must admit I have been stressed.  I have not gained any weight but I have not lost any weight either.  I just need some pointers.  Thanks. :)
post edited by MonaLisa - 2011/11/27 08:56:03

22 Replies Related Threads

Lilac
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/11/27 11:23:57 (permalink)
    My motivation seems to come and go. I would suggest at a low-motivated, busy or stressful time, not to give up and do nothing. Do something at least a few times a week even if you don't feel like it. Do 10-30 minutes of exercise whenever you can. If you give up totally it makes it harder to get back into exercise. If you keep at it, even if it's way less than you used to do or want to do, your motivation will eventually come back and you won't have to start back at the beginning.
    I was really busy, stressed this summer and sometimes only worked out 10-20 mins 3 times a week, but now as things are calming down I'm back to almost everyday for 45-60 mins. I'm glad I didn't give up totally.
    Also new workouts might help with motivation!
    swimmy
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/11/27 12:37:03 (permalink)
    The mirror keeps me motivated :-)

My issue is summertime because it's too hot and humid for my body to get going. I've been down with a bad virus so I just had another 3 weeks off. The mirror is NOT my friend at the moment (nor are my jeans). Looking forward to getting back at it.

Anita
    chibes
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/11/28 08:59:05 (permalink)
    To keep myself going, I don't think of exercising as a choice.  It's just something I automatically do like breathing, sleeping, eating, etc.  I exercise in the morning, and when the alarm goes off, I just blindly get ready and then start--even if I don't feel like it. However, in the back of my mind I always know that when I'm done I'll be glad I exercised.  I never regret it.  But I will regret not exercising.  That helps too.  Especially on those days when I'm feeling kind of blah.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/03 08:12:54 (permalink)
    By now, it's a habit with me.  I feel bad physically and mentally if I miss more than one day.   Getting a couple new videos help when I need an extra kick, I must say!
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2011/12/03 08:13:23
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/04 11:36:31 (permalink)
    I'm the kind of person who can never get or stay warm.  Getting up and exceriing is a good way for me to be comfortable and keep the old thermostat  at a reasonable level. Tossing the old kettlebell is a quick easy way.
    ckhdgrl
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/08 10:36:01 (permalink)
    To keep myself motivated, I schedule my exercise time.  It has gotten to the point that my family knows my exercise time.
    Bad
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/08 15:29:56 (permalink)
    My family knows my workout time too, but they still call  :(

Live Fit. Live Happy.
    chibes
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/09 09:00:59 (permalink)
    Bad

My family knows my workout time too, but they still call  :(

That's aggravating.  May I suggest?  Do what I do:  Don't answer.  I go into my own little world.  They'll understand.
    Exerciseman
    • Total Posts : 1353
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/09 13:03:59 (permalink)
    DW's uncle (who is now well over 90) said something once that really struck me - If you didn't invite them, then you have no obligation to answer the phone or the door. Even for answering the door - if you feel they are there to sell you something (including religion) you should not feel guilty if you don't answer the door. You are not being rude - they are imposing themselves on you. I don't usually follow this rule, but am happy to know I can if I want to..D
    jessicavi
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/10 11:36:28 (permalink)
    When I first started working out years ago at night, things went well for a few years until I started night classes. I could not find the motivation to a.m w/o's. It was several years later and many false starts that it finally clicked. I started journaling my w/o's after I saw it mentioned on VF. It gave me the motivation to start/switch to a.m workouts.  There is just something about writing it down that made me want to keep my commitment. Switching to a.m took all the excuses out of the equation. Seeing my calender filled w/ completed w/o's keeps me motivated. I just don't like to have to erase an undone w/o. It just makes me feels bad. So then when I had more night classes a few years ago, it did not affect my a.m workout schedule much except when I was really tired from all nighters. When I miss a workout or several I always remember how great I felt when I w/o and the motivation just comes back or I do something light or short until I feel up to snuff again. I've come to love my early workout sessions. It's become my me time even on cold dark mornings.
    katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/10 20:36:41 (permalink)
    jessicavi's thought on journaling I think is a terrific tool!  The check in's and challenges on the forum are sort of like a journal...I've improved some habits and kept my motivation up that way.  It's been very helpful.

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    KBS1607
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/10 22:16:06 (permalink)
    MonaLisa

How does one stay motivated during the winter months?  I was diligent from February through September however, when the new school year started and I was given new responsibilities at work my workouts became far and few in between.  I must admit I have been stressed.  I have not gained any weight but I have not lost any weight either.  I just need some pointers.  Thanks. :)

I haven't worked out in FOREVER!  And I'm married to a marathon runner whose family is almost all runners. I'm definitely the odd one out in my family.

I have some health concerns (like a lot of people) and one DR says don't be too hard on yourself and aim for two days a week while another says four. I just haven't done any--UNTIL today.  I'm proud of myself for doing Dance off the Inches {Bellydance}7966^. I liked it too.

I'm so glad to have found this forum.

Kim
    post edited by KBS1607 - 2011/12/11 10:04:50
    katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/11 09:19:02 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum Kim!

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    swimmy
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/12 10:34:52 (permalink)
    Welcome Kim!

Anita
    KBS1607
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Staying Motivated 2011/12/14 13:54:50 (permalink)
    Thank you for the welcome.  I started writing my exercise down whether I work out or not. Seeing my lame no exerscise on a day when I didn't have a migraine makes me remember to exercise on days when I can.

Also, on the motivated thing I talked to a woman at Belly Dance and told her I would be at Zumba today and Belly Dance on Thursday. It is nice knowing someone will be looking for me.  I'm just proud of myself for going back as I will try a class and then not stick to it.

Kim
    Debbie Lim
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Staying Motivated 2012/01/01 13:20:15 (permalink)
    Hi Mona Lisa,

Staying motivated does get hard when our lives are so busy.  Don't get down on yourself when you lose track of your workouts... just get back on your schedule as soon as you think about it :-)

Think of your workouts as something you are doing for yourself and treat it as a "Special ME Time"! YOU are special and deserve this time - treat it as such!

If you cannot workout to your favorite DVD or go to the gym or class, that IS okay!  Just use the time you have......... When you are cleaning the house - listen to loud music and dance around with the dust mop..... Walk up and down the halls or stairs at work instead of using the elevator.... There are always ways! :-)

Most importantly, SMILE as soon as you get up in the morning and be thankful for a beautiful day (no matter what the weather is).
    SCARLETT
    • Total Posts : 2284
    Re:Staying Motivated 2012/01/01 21:26:22 (permalink)
    What wonderful advice y'all all have!  Thank you so much.  I have been struggling with this very thing for so long.  I can exercise for a week or so and then something will happen and I give it up.   Not good.  I have 50 lbs to lose, so says my doc, as well as controlling high cholesterol and triglycerides, so I know eating properly and exercising should be a priority.  But I don't follow through.  Just lazy, I guess.  But no more.  I know there will be times that I slip.  I'm human.  But I do want to be healthy.  I just turned 58 and have 2 of the most wonderful grandsons that I long to see grow to manhood.  I have a firm foundation in Christ and a DD that is the wind beneath my wings and that's all the support I need right now.  I will be checking in to let y'all know how I'm doing.  Happy New Year!
    joieshdavid
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Staying Motivated 2012/01/20 16:11:42 (permalink)
    Successful people seem to have a very clear purpose, their lives and top athletes and athletes, particularly with regard to. The idea of ??setting goals is nothing new. However, it's these settings can often lead you step down the way.
    kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Staying Motivated 2012/04/03 08:37:06 (permalink)
    I say keep going, even if it's only a couple times a week and you have to step your intensity down. I had to do that at the end of last year because I was taking a class after work and the homework was intense. As soon as it was over, I started to ramp things up again, and the progress I made gave my spirits a lift.

I also developed a S.M.A.R.T. goal (Google it) to clarify exactly what my intentions are. I set a specific but realistic goal of at least X minutes cardio and X minutes toning each week. I tweaked my journal style so I can plan a week at a time, but allow myself to switch out a video if it feels too tough or too easy at that time, in case I'm sore, sick or whatever. I also make side notes to be sure I'm really hitting my trouble spots regularly. As long as I do the minimum number of minutes, I give myself credit. As I go along, and at the end of each week, I tally it all up and write it down; that forces me to hold myself accountable, and so far, it's working well!

Of course, a different way of doing your favorite workout or a brand new video can be a real morale-booster, too....(you're welcome, Collage!)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1