Most effective-few or many dvd's?

Author
trillium
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 8
2012/04/03 19:52:25 (permalink)

Most effective-few or many dvd's?

My sister alternates just 2 Core Fusion dvd's, saying she can see if she has progressed that way. (She also hikes, bikes and does West Coast swing dancing.) I have lots of videos/dvd's, and have always varied them a lot, doing both specific body part-focused and full body toning/strengthening, cardio, and stretch/tone videos. It can be weeks or even months before I get to a video again, if its not a favorite. Is it better to do a rotation with a smaller selection ? I do a variety to keep from getting bored, and also figure that what muscles I miss one day, I'll get to soon with another workout. Also, I developed a foot problem a year ago, and had to stop most cardio and standing lower body workouts. ( I still did my east coast swing dancing as much as my feet allowed). I have recently started to do these workouts again. I want to lose the few pounds I gained during the last year. I mostly do dance style cardio, and have ordered 2 Core Fusion workouts, as I think I will be able to work on leg toning in a less impacting way.

3 Replies Related Threads

kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Most effective-few or many dvd's? 2012/04/29 07:57:19 (permalink)
    Hi trillium,

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me that since your sister's including different styles of cardio and she's probably balancing her upper, lower, abdominal, and back muscle toning, she ought to be good--not over-stressing any particular body part or neglecting one. However, I'm a firm believer in a little more variety. Doing a total body toning workout is convenient, but if you follow what's considered common wisdom today (that you should wait at least a day before you work each set of muscles again), you're kind of stuck. If a cardio/toning video of mine happens to contain a total-body chapter or it's intermixed with the cardio, so be it, but to be sure, I've recently begun to plan my toning at the start of each week to be sure I'm covering upper, lower, core, and "trouble spot" sessions. Even though it's sometimes a little confusing, it has freed me up to try new combos and customize things to fit my own schedule and/or to ease up on the lower-body workouts if my knees are bugging me.

Mixing things up is a great way to keep yourself motivated and I say if it works for you, carry on!
    post edited by kimd - 2012/04/29 08:06:53
    DeepSeaSue
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2049
    Re:Most effective-few or many dvd's? 2012/04/30 11:49:22 (permalink)
    Trillium, I think the most effective way is whatever works for you. I have zillions of DVDs and I need them because I would get bored doing the same ones over and over. And doing so many different types of exercise should ensure that you don't plateau as your body won't adapt and get used to any one thing.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

My blog:
    http://KeepCalmAndSpinOn.blogspot.ca/

Alice Kathleen
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Most effective-few or many dvd's? 2012/05/06 11:46:38 (permalink)
    I don't think there is a right answer.   Me, I need a mix of work outs to keep me motivated and
    not on auto pilot.   Also,  our fitness levels and goals may change at any time.   I like a mix of
    strength,  cardio,  yoga.   A good way to sample videos if money is a big issue is to check them
    out of the library.   My library has tons of them,  though there is often a "line" for newer ones. 
    Another way to add to the home library cheaply is thrift stores.  It's a risk,  but I have lucked out
    and found some good ones at my local thrift store for a buck each.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1