Excercises for people 60 and older

Author
daisy60
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/12/08 15:30:55 (permalink)

Excercises for people 60 and older

I just turned sixty years old.  Muscle is almost gone in my thighs, calves and buttocks.  What can I do at my age to lift my buttocks, build my thigh and calf muscles?

It must be low impact, of course.

Thanks,
daisy60

8 Replies Related Threads

Slinks
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/08 15:46:25 (permalink)
    they have a senior section in the main Collage Video Site
    http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/seniors-exercise-videos-42
    Go here and have a look around I'm sure you'll find just the thing you're looking for .. other than that, any Mile walk with Leslie Sansone will do it, if you're fit she incorperates muscle groups with leg lifts and kicks .. Happy Browsing  :-)

Oh and welcome to the forum
    post edited by Slinks - 2008/12/08 15:49:51
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/09 09:42:35 (permalink)
    My mother is 87 and although she used to work out with weight now a days she gets her excerise from walking. She lives in a retirement community now and walks both inside and outside. I would say its almost daily depending on her schedule. Walking would I believe help you also.
    Cynthia
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/17 00:11:18 (permalink)
    I'm 57 and I started my exercise routines about 3 months ago.   I had the same problem with my thighs.  The exercises that have helped my thighs the most are the plies in Ellen Barrett's {Burn and Firm Pilates}7355^ DVD, because they don't hurt my knees like the lunges do.  (Although, I keep trying to do the lunges very carefully, and my knees seem to take them a little better now.)  I also like the move where you kick across, moving one leg in front of the other (a very low kick).   The ballet moves of the arabesque (if you remember those from childhood) are in my Karen Voight {Burn and Firm}7070^ circuit training DVD, and that is pretty good, too, but it takes a while to get the coordination going to actually do it.   Lunges are supposed to be good, too.

The best exercise for lower body though is walking, and not the fast kind, but the slower kind.  I think that is the reason I am finally losing my abdominal pooch.  I walk 40 minutes a day, 3 times a week, mostly keeping my heart rate between 70% and 80% of MAX (I have a heart monitor, MAX=220 - AGE), alternating with a couple of 1 minute bursts of running fast.  Of course, I also walk outdoors, so there is the weather (20 degrees!) and the wind to deal with, and the hills, which increases the calorie burn a bit, I think.  I love the fresh air, though.  It's great.  Then I finish with 15 minutes of stretches to really feel good, and I am ready for the day.

I also always exercise before breakfast.  Why burn new calories when we have all this fat, you know?  I am consistently losing about 1.5 lbs per week, so this system seems to be working for me.
    Slinks
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/17 13:32:23 (permalink)
    Congrats Cynthia !!! :-)  you must be feeling really darn good and proud of yourself !!  keep it up ..

BTW, I too exersise before breaky ..
    Jan
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/17 20:15:25 (permalink)
    I'm in my late 50's and I do a lot of step aerobics.  I don't know if you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced.  I like Cathe and her "{Low Impact Circuit}7701^", and "{Low Max}7435^." "Low Max" is really awesome for legs!  It is very challenging though and I would consider it advanced.

Your age doesn't have much to do with your workouts.  The right workout depends on your fitness level.  If you are beginning I agree that Leslie Sansone is a good instructor.  If you want results immediately and would like a good intermediate workout, try Minna Lessig's "Emergency Workout."  She has nutrition information too.
    Angie
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2008/12/19 15:45:46 (permalink)
    Good for you for wanting to exercise and stay fit! Walking is a great low-impact exercise anyone can do, almost anywhere. I walk as much as possible, mostly indoors now that winter has really set in here in N.E. Ohio. I love Mari Winsor's {Pilates For Pink}5552^ for a low-impact work out with a resistance band. It, combined with walking, should help you gain strength in your arms and legs, and help tone you. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of exercise!

"Angie Baby!"
    Dulcy
    • Total Posts : 2206
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2009/01/09 16:39:34 (permalink)
    I'm in my 50's and like all of Leslie's tapes esp the walk slim series,{5 mile fat burner}5560^ and {walk away your thighs}9348^ ,which has 1/2 hour cardio and  an extra 15 minutes mainly floor  toning exercises for the lower body using her ankle resistance bands which come with the dvd..lo impact  beginners step such as debra mazda's {new one}5620^ and the {biggest loser yoga weight loss}5608^ has great leg building lo impact exercises in it.It's more muscle-building than stretching.There is also richard simmons {sweating to the oldies}9331^ newly put out on dvd -has GREAT music!Get yourself a free copy of the latest Collage dvd catelogue on this website- it will be mailed to you.
    flower child
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:Excercises for people 60 and older 2009/01/30 14:42:00 (permalink)
    I just turned 60. I started exercising (and making great dietary changes) last Feb. I don't think 60 is too old to work out. I think it's essential.

I started out with some old step vids I had from the '90s. Kathy Smith, Cher (still love it - it's fun) and got Ellen Barrett's video (the one with her dressed in pink - she's sooooo motivating). I took it slow and steady. I'm an afternoon exerciser. I hate to get up early and have no "give a rip" in the mornings. But after work when I'm tired and stressed, that's when I love to do my workouts. And, yes, I sleep much better. Joined a gym for weights, and started running, sorta. 

Anyway, all that's just to encourage you to not worry that your 60. A friend of mine reminded me that it's just a number in the basket. Just keep working out, you'll start getting muscles, feeling just awesome, your endurance gets better, there's no downside. 

And I just love Collage videos, and this forum. All of you are so upbuilding. Kudos to everyone.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1