Rest Days

Author
StacyK
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 633
2012/05/09 19:14:44 (permalink)

Rest Days

Do I really need to rest after doing weights even if I am not sore? My usual routine is  a kelly coffey-meyer weight workout plus her stepboxing on two days a week. I like to do an aerotone workout the other days (i.e. Coffey-Meyer's {Circuit Burn}5896^ or The Firm). I figured I'm not doing heavy weight lifting and might be able to get by without rests. Is this a bad idea? (I really don't like doing just cardio!) I do rest at least one day per week and often two.

Thanks!
StacyK

8 Replies Related Threads

Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/10 12:10:22 (permalink)
    Gosh Stacy, I am no expert,  but here's what comes to my mind when I read the post.   To me, 
    free weights should be done to point of fatigue,  ie, feeling the muscle struggling.   That amount
    may be different for all of us.   I had a female co worker who did her biceps curls  (my job
    had a free 24 hour 365 day  gym for employees,  best perk ever)  with 30 pound weights!   I could barely lift
    30 pounds, much less do curls with that amount.    So,  you may need to increase the amount
    of weight (and how many reps?  How many sets?)  you are using.   I might suggest reading
    a couple books from library on weight training too,  thousands of men and women have
    toned and strengthened over the decades using simple moves and free weights,  and they do
    work.   Do you need to rest?  If you are maxing out,  yes.  If you are using light weights and
    few reps,  no.   Depends on your goals, too.  My regimen for last 30 years is to do weights on 
    Sunday/Tues/Friday.
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/10 14:04:07 (permalink)
    I ususally give myself a day or even two after a major weight lifting day - if I am still sore.  I have heard that you can do a light cardio/tone interval the next day but have not tried it.
    StacyK
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/10 14:18:11 (permalink)
    30 lbs. - wow! I'm not doing any major weight lifting. I use the Kelly Coffey-Meyer "{weights}7991^" video as lighter toning - I guess. The most I use on upper body is 12 lbs. It feels like a good workout, but I am not exhausted when I am done. I guess that is why I am confused about the rest days.

Thanks for the input so far.
    SuzyQ
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/10 16:36:22 (permalink)
    My "rest" day usually consists of one day of yoga or pilates each week.  I know you said that you don't care for cardio, but I alternate a weight day with a cardio day.  I'm not an expert, but I think you could get by with alternating a heavier weight day with a lighter one, especially if you are taking a day or two off each week.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/12 12:13:54 (permalink)
    Stacy, some folks who are doing weights do one day of upper
    body with weights, and next day of lower body with weights. 
    That might be an option for you if you love working out with
    weights!   I did that in my 40's when I was really pumped up.
    But I do think our regimens change as our goals change, and
    nothing, and no advice, is set in stone.
    reddingo692
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 274
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/12 17:27:54 (permalink)
    Hi Stacy,
    In one of Collage's catalogues a question was asked about aerobics & toning every day & the response was yes, as long as you were using light dumbbells for short periods of time you could use dumbbells daily!
    Hope this helps!
    Cathy

CATHY
    kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/13 08:09:05 (permalink)
    Here on the Collage Forum, and on many videos, I've only seen routines that alternate upper body work with lower body work, if they alternate at all (pre-mixes not included). However, some bodybuilders focus on the legs, back and biceps one day, then shoulders, chest, and triceps the other/next day. I haven't done that in a long, long time, but way back when I first started working out with weights, I followed that system and it worked quite nicely. At that time, I wasn’t into cardio, so the opposing-muscle routine freed me up to really challenge myself on consecutive days if I wanted to--or not. Granted, I was only 20 at the time and I suppose my muscles rebounded a little faster than they do now with little soreness.

I'm not exactly clear on what your own goal is--to emphasize cardio, toning, or both, but regardless, I say listen to your body. If you're not sore, do what ya wanna do!

post edited by kimd - 2012/05/13 08:22:36
    StacyK
    Re:Rest Days 2012/05/13 11:13:54 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for all the input. My main goal is cardio, but to also include strength training - not body building. I don't care for pure cardio videos (Maybe I just haven't found any I really like - my favorite is Kelly's Stepboxing). I prefer to do aerotone workouts that keep my heartrate up. I would like to do them almost daily. This past month I added KCM "{weights}7991^" and "{Best Body}6107^" twice a week so that I could go a little heavier with the weights. So, I was wondering if I could do those twice a week and still use aerotone as my cardio. It sounds like as long as I'm not sore, I'm O.K. I am in the process of finding all-cardio videos that I like. Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1