workout schedule

Author
Dee
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 8
2012/06/22 19:41:59 (permalink)

workout schedule

I need guidance in a weekly workout schedule.   How often should I do aerobics, strength training, toning etc?  I know you should do aerobics every other day and only strength training twice a week.  How often should I do spot toning like arms, legs etc?  And can I do yoga and stretch and flex everyday?  I am desperate to get healthier and stronger.  If you can give me a good example of a workout schedule, it would be so much appreciate!!

Thank you

4 Replies Related Threads

mlb
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:workout schedule 2012/06/23 10:47:34 (permalink)
    Dee

I need guidance in a weekly workout schedule.   How often should I do aerobics, strength training, toning etc?  I know you should do aerobics every other day and only strength training twice a week.  How often should I do spot toning like arms, legs etc?  And can I do yoga and stretch and flex everyday?  I am desperate to get healthier and stronger.  If you can give me a good example of a workout schedule, it would be so much appreciate!!

Thank you

I'm not Collage, but I'll offer a few comments.  I tend to plan my strength workouts first...and then when I have chosen my plan for strength, I can then figure out the cardio.  A lot of us prefer daily workouts, alternately strength and cardio, with one rest day a week.  I prefer workouts that work the whole body in a single workout.  I also prefer strength training that uses compound moves...working arms, leg useing the same move rather than working a single muscle in a set, the opposite of "spot toning".   But you'll learn from this forum, that there are many ways to exercise, and many workout schedules.  It depends on your goals, how much time you want to devote, what types of workouts you enjoy, and what your physcial condition is currently.

Strength training frequency can vary.  For example, if you are working arms, and you are going for maximum strength gain by useing very heavy weight in sets of 6-8 repetitiion (where you can barely lift the weight 6 times), then you will need a longer recovery, so 2-3x a week may be appropriate.  But many workout use sets with 8-10 or 10-12 repetitions in a set, and the belief is, you still need recovery, but that every other day is ok.  Many people do a strength workout every other day, some prefer it every third day or longer.  If you are still sore from the last workout, you may need another recovery day.  (Mild soreness is good, it means you are getting stronger....but even if you do not get sore, if you are lifting a weight that is difficult by the 10-12th rep, you will get stronger.)   How often you strength train sometimes can depend on what what workout you select.

Some workouts are mainly strength, and others are mainly cardio...but there are hybrid workouts, where you lift weights at either a faster pace, or you eliminate resting between sets, and ussually these use compound moves...legs and arms at the same time.  he idea behind those is to get the heart rate elevated while lifting, so that you get both cardio and toning at the same time.

Stetching can be done everyday.  Mild to moderate intensity cardio can be done often.  Intence cardio (HIIT) should not be done daily. 

And finally, and this is important....you will need to experiment a bit.  Because it is just as important to find workouts that you enjoy, and a schedule that works for you,  as it is to find what others consider the "ideal" workout.  If you dread the workout, you won't want to stick with it.  Sticking to an exercise plan is what works, even if the plan changes frequently to provide variety and challenge your body in different ways.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:workout schedule 2012/07/01 12:45:51 (permalink)
    Hi,  I have kept the same schedule for 30 years,  works quite
    well for me at least!   On Sunday, Tues, and Friday, I work out
    with weights.  I call these "strength days", and they can also
    include Pilates.   On Monday,  Wed and Thurs,  I do aerobics.   Saturday is
    "rest" or yoga day.  These are rough guides only!  We need to
    sometimes roll with the flow.  If a new video comes in the mail, 
    do it!  If a friend invites you to the gym on her pass, go!  

This is a guideline, and one can commit to the goals and go from
    there.  Example... after doing an upper body workout with
    weights on Tues, say Tami's Tight on Time,  I might do the 
    Intermediate Pilates from Classical Pilates later in the day.  But
    the general idea is "strength".   I have some short and easy
    aerobics like Ellen's Flat Belly Work Out that I can do in the
    am on Wed and in the evening do Leslie's Evening Mile or
    Jane's aerobics video.   They are all short aerobics segments. 
    I too am a big fan of variety.   I try to take advantage of summer
    weather to go to the pool,  take more walks around the
    neighborhood,  go hiking in the Sierras one weekend.  The
    great thing I love about weight or strength training is that
    you can really get that done (and it's fun!) in about 20 min
    and then do another video that you like,  whatever suits your
    own body's needs and your goals.  If you keep to a loose
    and flexible plan,  I feel you cannot go wrong.
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2012/07/03 11:18:56
    kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:workout schedule 2012/07/12 19:17:51 (permalink)
    I’m  excited for you, Dee!  Welcome!

You don't need to skip days between cardio workouts unless you’re training for something like a race. Be mindful of your fitness level as you start out, and as you progress, be sure to incorporate longer, less intense workouts plus shorter, tougher ones. It’s a good way to ensure that you’re working on both cardio-vascular strength and endurance.

You can do your toning more often than two or three times a week (unless you’re going for Ms. Universe) as long as your muscles are rested and you’re balancing the work you give to each muscle group. One traditional approach is to work opposing muscle groups on different days—for example: your abs, chest, and biceps one day; legs, back and triceps another. You can also alternate an upper-body workout with a lower-body workout, or you can do a total body workout in one day as long as you give your body a few days of rest before the next one. Like mlb said, you can also combine your cardio and toning with compound movements or by alternating cardio and toning intervals. Again, variety is a good thing!

Stretching is good any time. It can increase your range of motion, decrease muscle soreness, and keep your joints loose. IMO, it’s wise to keep trying new moves so that you can adapt them to your needs; after all the years I’ve been working out, I’m still finding new ways to reach different spots from different angles, and it’s great! Flexibility becomes more and more important as we get older....

Personally, I plan my workouts one week at a time. I pick out a batch of videos (and sometimes self-guided routines) that will meet my target number of minutes for cardio and toning and will work each muscle “zone” thoroughly.  I know my body pretty well so I can switch those chosen workouts around as I want or need to; as long as I reach or exceed those goals, it’s all good. This approach has really worked for me because I can measure my achievements objectively and I sure as heck don’t want to fall short! I keep a workout log to plan, track, and analyze things as I go. 

Build up your workouts gradually and feel free to adjust your routine as you see fit.

Check back in some time and let us know how things are going!
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:workout schedule 2012/07/12 21:07:30 (permalink)
    If I do a weight workout I do a cardio the next day.  If I am still sore -DOM's I do another cardio day.

I think its a personal thing.  See what makes you comfortable.
    I keep a journal with what I do day by day. That way I know what I did for the last couple of days and can choose accordingly.
    post edited by megw - 2012/07/12 21:09:32
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1