weight training

Author
Mom2Hedwig
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 12
2012/07/20 11:03:37 (permalink)

weight training

Good morning, 
I was just wondering as I did my weights this morning: does it matter if I break up my weight lifting into shorter times? For example, I lift 8# weights 10 times, followed by 10# and then 5 reps of 15#. I then quit. Later this afternoon and again in the evening, I'll repeat that same set. Is it fine to do it this way? Or should I do all three sets one after another? I'm not sure my arms can handle that. :)
Thanks!
Cathy

6 Replies Related Threads

Collage Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1359
    Re:weight training 2012/07/20 12:11:18 (permalink)
    Cathy, splitting your weight workout into two sessions in the same day is not recommended. Your muscles need time to recover. This is especially true if you are asking about working the same muscle group. You could split your toning if you were to work upper body in the morning and lower body in the evening but not to repeat the same exercises/routine again later in the same day. The key is to give your body a chance to 'repair' itself, at least a full 24 hours of rest in between weight sessions. If you are too fatigued to complete the program, that just means you have exhausted those muscles for that session and need the recovery. Your weight levels should be tough for only the last few reps, do you need to adjust that until you are stronger?
    Mom2Hedwig
    Re:weight training 2012/07/20 13:31:43 (permalink)
    Thanks. I am working the same muscles. Guess I'll change my weight habits. My 10# weights seem to be a little light for me, no matter how many reps I do. Maybe I should just keep upping the number of sets I do until I fatigue the muscles.
    I only do weights Monday/Wednesday/Friday. 

Cathy
    swimmy
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re:weight training 2012/07/20 16:02:01 (permalink)
    Hi Cathy,

A *typical weight set is 3 sets of 8-12 reps per movement. 

The end of the third set should be difficult. If it's not, move up a weight, or do 2 with the 10#, one with the 12#. 

Again, the above is standard/typical. Varying the weights per set is good, for variation, and to work your muscles to exhaustion. 

I've always read that to help with endurance, do the 3 sets of 8-12, but to build bulk fast or work with fast twitch muscles, vary the weight.

Anita
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:weight training 2012/07/20 16:17:12 (permalink)
    Mom2Hedwig

Thanks. I am working the same muscles. Guess I'll change my weight habits. My 10# weights seem to be a little light for me, no matter how many reps I do. Maybe I should just keep upping the number of sets I do until I fatigue the muscles.
    I only do weights Monday/Wednesday/Friday. 

Cathy

If the weight is too light you can stay at the same weight and increase the number of sets to fatique the muscles.....but it may not be the most efficient method, depending on what your goals are.  Or if the weight is too heavy, you can lighten up your weight so that you can complete all three sets in one workout. 

But there are other options.  For example, find a weight until you can do 10-12 repetitions with good form on the first set.  The next set should be harder to do the same number of repetitions....but as long as you can complete 8-12 repetitions...stick with the same weight.  If you have trouble finishing 8 repetitions, drop the weight down for the next set.  ("drop set") 

Also, if you miscalculate and use a weight that is too heavy.......you can drop down to a lighter weight to finish the set.
    Mom2Hedwig
    Re:weight training 2012/07/20 21:21:39 (permalink)
    Thanks! I'll give it a try on Monday and see how I do.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:weight training 2012/07/22 10:03:36 (permalink)
    Hi,  I love working out with weights!   But,  I don't split a workout.
    If you feel you are not getting the most for  your time, what I
    suggest is to add more variety to your moves.  There are tons
    of arm and upper body exercises,  some lying (or on a bench or
    step) and some standing.   I feel it's best to work the upper
    body thoroughly,  with one set, and then move to another
    exercise.   Only on the triceps do I do two sets.   Best, AK
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1