cardio only

Author
samazing
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/08/13 18:54:03 (permalink)

cardio only

Hi everyone!
I have a question and need your advice...

I love exercising and I train every morning 5h00 to 7h00: I do 1 hour ballet workout based on muscle isolation training, followed by 1 hour kundalini yoga, 6 days a week.

I'm in very good shape, nonetheless have some little localized fat on the outer thighs I'd like to melt away :)

My nutrition is very lean (fruit, veggies, fish, sometimes eggs and 1-2 spoons of olive oil x day. Breakfast I only have llllooots of green tea with some honey and drink about 1.5-2lt cx day between green tea and water).

I suspect that to reach my goal I should alternate my training sessions with some more cardio, yet I dont want to add ANY volume to my shape, on the contrary, I line lean long muscles.

...Woluld you have any advice on the cardio I could start to help me reach my goal? I love swimming but dont have the opportunity here where I am based... any dvd you suggest better than others?

Thanks a million!!
Sam

8 Replies Related Threads

mlb
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/13 19:10:05 (permalink)
    samazing

Hi everyone!
    I have a question and need your advice...

I love exercising and I train every morning 5h00 to 7h00: I do 1 hour ballet workout based on muscle isolation training, followed by 1 hour kundalini yoga, 6 days a week.

I'm in very good shape, nonetheless have some little localized fat on the outer thighs I'd like to melt away :)

My nutrition is very lean (fruit, veggies, fish, sometimes eggs and 1-2 spoons of olive oil x day. Breakfast I only have llllooots of green tea with some honey and drink about 1.5-2lt cx day between green tea and water).

I suspect that to reach my goal I should alternate my training sessions with some more cardio, yet I dont want to add ANY volume to my shape, on the contrary, I line lean long muscles.

...Woluld you have any advice on the cardio I could start to help me reach my goal? I love swimming but dont have the opportunity here where I am based... any dvd you suggest better than others?

Thanks a million!!
    Sam

Hi Sam and welcome.
    You mean you exercise from 5-7am right?  I thought at first you wrote that you exercise 5-7 hours a day.  whooaaa!
    Anyhow....Collage has search options...you can select cardio for a search option...and watch clips to see what appeals to you.  Lots of things to choose from. From then perhaps forum member can help narrow down your choices.  Good luck.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/13 19:27:38 (permalink)
    Hi, you might want to consider a Pilates workout that targets
    the legs.  I think Marie Winsor made one using all the {Pilates
    lower body}6141^ exercises.   With that diet and level of exercise, 
    I would not think fat burning is an issue.   Since you are already
    doing ballet,  and are unable to swim regularly,  I would say
    the Pilates might be what you are looking for.  There are several
    videos you can review to see which you like and which has
    the focus you want.  Best, AK
    samazing
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/13 19:50:25 (permalink)
    Thank you thank you!! I will start my research and have a look at pilates video also :)

@ mlb...heehee, 5-7 hours a day? I'd be playing @ the olympics ;) 5am...alas, my start time to train as after work I am too tired ;)

thank you Alice & mlb!!
    Sam
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/13 19:54:13 (permalink)
    I've never gotten a cardio effect from Pilates, but maybe that's just me.  I agree with MLB.  Search Collage's cardio DVDs and watch the clips.  What type of activities do you enjoy besides swimming?  Kickboxing, step, walking, boot camp, more traditional type aerobics?  There really are so many options out there, and most likely there is someone on the forum who loves each of the types of cardio workouts there are and would be happy to give you advice! :)  Good luck!
    post edited by Vantreesta - 2012/08/13 21:38:00

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    diggerholliday
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/13 21:14:03 (permalink)
    What about ellen barrett for cardio?  Her cardio has very pilates and ballet inspired movements.

I also enjoy kari anderson's {reach}7509^.

good luck in your search
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/14 07:43:07 (permalink)
    Hi Vantreestra,  I wanted to clarify that I suggested the Pilates
    not for cardio but for the leg toning.   I do have Pilates
    Weight Loss Workout for Dummies, which has 20 min of
    big flowing movements,  but I feel her exercise level is 
    more advanced.   As Denise Austin said,  "You can't spot
    reduce, but you can spot tone!"  Denise had two leg only
    videos out in early 1990's,  one for the thighs and one for
    the buns,  filmed in Puerto Rico, if anyone recalls those.  Sorry
    to have gotten off topic.!  AK
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/14 07:59:21 (permalink)
    no problem, ak, i just misunderstood. :)  i do love the pilates side-lying leg series.  so fabulous for my hips (well, how they feel anyway...i'm not consistent enough to see any reshaping :) )!

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    samazing
    Re:cardio only 2012/08/14 09:24:04 (permalink)
    Thank you so much athletes!! :)

I think the toning in my dvds is good for now (mary helen bower: 60mins classic ballet workout + 4 sets of 15 mins blast series on alternate days). These are based on muscle isolation (bridge series, abs, inner thighs, outer thighs, arms, standing). But Pilates will be a very good option to alternate as it's not my 4th month with the same programs!

I keep Ana Bret & Ravi singh Kundalini series to complement and enhance toning and praxctice yoga after each session (1 hour - 1 hour)

{REACH}7509^ from Kari Anderson is one of my fave ever! and also I love Ellen Barret's DVDs! But my heart rate is so slow and I never reach up to a cardio elevated rate with them...so, since my target is NOT to add volume but to reduce small padding on the sides of my thighs :)) I'd need something more upbeat I guess....

I love running too, but because I did fencing on national level when I was a kid, I used up my knees and now I cannot bear more than 10-15 mins jogging as I feel needles in my meniscs.

I guess I need to add a medium-impact aerobic or interval training (I tired the Bar method: I find it very good training, but so boring too)...I will keep on searching and any more advice is very welcome :)

Thanks for sharing! this can be such a constructive space :)

Have a radiant day!
    Sam
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1