are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts

Author
field1
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 4
2012/11/02 09:12:42 (permalink)

are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts

Hi
I am tempted to get an aerobic step and start step workouts and wondered whether anyone knows anything about these workouts are they really effective in burning calories or are other workouts just as effective - knees are OK but twing a little. Just would like a really great cardio calorie burning workout to go with barre. 
Thanks

13 Replies Related Threads

Alice Kathleen
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 08:04:48 (permalink)
    Hi,  I did step for years.  It's a good aerobic workout, and my legs used to thank me for
    giving them some great toning.  ANY aerobic workout does the job of raising metabolism,  best
    thing about step is the leg toning,  in my view.  Best, AK
    field1
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 09:41:48 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Yes I really want to tone up my legs and have just bought an aerobics step I was thinking of getting some of the cathe friedrich step workouts and wondered which were the best ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 10:20:20 (permalink)
    Hi,  I do not now have a step,  so my tips may be outdated, 
    but I loved Kari Anderson and for the legs, an oldie by
    Kathy Smith which I will look up the title for you,  but my
    legs screamed for joy whenever I did it.  

I looked up Kathy Smith and found two, both on sale for 9.99,  try the Buns and thighs step
    workout.    

I gave up the step for space and storage reasons,  seemed like a good idea at the time,  now seems
    a bit excessive!   You are making me want to consider taking it up again!
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2012/11/07 10:24:01
    NitNat
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 13:27:34 (permalink)
    I do step class at the gym once a week, and stepping is a great cardio, heart pumping workout.  You can really control the intensity by adding or taking out risers to your step, or adding a bit more bounce when you jump on the step can really get your heart rate soaring!

Unfortunately, I can't lend any input on a recommendation to a specific home video, as I don't have any experience on that.  I remember years ago, I really enjoyed a (VHS) video of a step workout featuring Cher.  Yes, Cher!
    kimd
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 18:07:23 (permalink)
    Hi Field,

I like mixing step in with my workout rotations--it's a fun change from more traditional aerobics. I started step workouts years and years ago and am glad that I picked it up again last year.

I agree with Alice Kathleen that Kathy Smith's Great Buns and Thighs Step Workout is a good place to start and it definitely works your lower body! You might also look into Kathy's Power Step workout (sold elsewhere online). I haven't done any of Gin Miller's videos, but she's known as the inventor of step aerobics herself and is well-recommended by others. A lot of her choreography appears pretty straight-forward.

Let us know what you pick!
    Diane LG
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 18:22:53 (permalink)
    Hi Field,
    If you are new to step, Cathe workouts might be a bit to complex to start with.  Way back when first did step, I had to start with really simple workouts like Gilad Step Aerobics, and Gin Miller's Reebok: The Video.  These are both a bit dated, but well done and easy to learn (and still available!).  I know instructors have come out more recently with basic stepping workouts.  I'd look into Kari Anderson's Go or Christi Taylor's Mission Possible, or Debra Mazda's Let's Get Stepping!  I have no personal experience with these last three, but see them recommended for beginning steppers.
    Once you are comfortable with one or two of these, then you can move on to Cathe.  I think moderate choreography is also well done by Gay Gasper's Infused Step, Petra Kolber's PK Step, or Carole Paradise's Step by Design.
    post edited by Diane LG - 2012/11/07 18:29:52

~~~Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.~~~
    Carol S.
    • Total Posts : 2743
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/07 20:28:13 (permalink)
    NitNat

I really enjoyed a (VHS) video of a step workout featuring Cher.  Yes, Cher!

I've got that one--a of fun and not too difficult.

Carol

Numbers Girl
    • Total Posts : 610
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/08 18:53:43 (permalink)
    I actually started stepping with Cathe's Basic step + body fusion. It took me a few tries to get Basic step and now I'm learning Body Fusion. I recently bought Step it Strong with Keli Roberts (CIA 2303) which is step and weight intervals. Her moves are pretty similar to Cathe's so this will be a good progression for me. I only started doing step routines recently and I'm liking them.
    willow
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 452
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/09 04:03:08 (permalink)
    Do step workouts burn more or same as regular floor aerobics? Does running do more or less? Good questions.
    Lilac
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/09 16:20:16 (permalink)
    I don't have a heartrate monitor that counts calories, but I always feel like I am burning more calories when I do a step workout. I have 2 older ones on VHS--Step Rebok with Gin Miller. and Charlene Prickets Step Right Up. On dvd I have Gin Millers Simply Step (good, but seems sooo long!), Absolute Beginners Step (not available here, but I like it) and just got Debra Mazda's Step Workout.
    kimd
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/09 17:56:43 (permalink)
    willow

Do step workouts burn more or same as regular floor aerobics? Does running do more or less? Good questions.

I've heard that stepping burns about the same calories as running, and while I'm definitely not a calorie-counter, I can testify that my heart rate can really get up there when I step, especially if I'm using a higher step, a routine that incorporates lots of upper-body/arm work, and there are lots of propulsion moves (eg jumping on or off the step, lunging, kicking). Besides that, if you're using a step workout with more elaborate choreography (relative to your ability level), you're pushing your body through a wider array of motions and are forced to focus carefully on each move, whereas in running you can get into a sort of Zen state, zone out, and accidentally let your intensity slide. (No disrespect to running fans; that's just my opinion based on my personal experience.) You can tone numerous muscles from different angles while stepping, too.

In the end, there are a lot of variables to consider, but I think most intermediate or advanced step workouts today are comparable to a standard running workout of the same length.
    Numbers Girl
    • Total Posts : 610
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/10 09:44:58 (permalink)
    If you decide to purchase a step, I would recommend the full size steps rather than the smaller ones. I find that there is less chance of tripping and falling with the bigger steps and you can also use it like a weight bench with toning videos. I upgraded about a year ago to Cathe's club step and have not regretted it.
    billiefan
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re:are step workouts the best cardio calorie workouts 2012/11/26 07:23:50 (permalink)
    I love Step workouts and have about 4 versions.  I use "Transfirmer"exclusively, because I love the slant options.  Before that an old school Rebox from about 20 years ago.  I have the smaller Jane Fonda Step and a Fanny Lifter.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1