chest presses/flies

Author
kitkat
Silver member (100-199 posts)
  • Total Posts : 123
2008/09/12 19:19:24 (permalink)

chest presses/flies

When doing chest presses and flies, is it normal to feel it in your biceps? My arms seem to get fatigued before my chest and I can't complete the set. The area around my elbows also gets sore after. Am I doing something wrong or just have to get stronger everywhere in my upper body?
post edited by kitkat - 2008/09/12 19:20:01

5 Replies Related Threads

w.o.w.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:chest presses/flies 2008/09/12 20:35:33 (permalink)
    It sounds to me like your weights might be too heavy. I know for myself, I get more of a chest workout when I take the weight down, and really focus (mentally as well!) on my chest. I also think that because your elbows are getting sore, that that is also a sign that your weight load could be too heavy.

My edit: I just looked at this again and realized that you were asking Collage. This is the second time I have done this! I hope you don't mind my opinion! I will be more careful to notice when someone is deliberately asking Collage!
    post edited by w.o.w. - 2008/09/12 20:37:43
    fitnessbuff
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:chest presses/flies 2008/09/12 21:28:55 (permalink)
    I think you have to make sure you are using proper form. When they are at their highest point the weights should be right over your chest, not somewhere else. And you have to concentrate on moving your arms up and down from the chest. Keep your wrists and elbows not moving so that you are not working your biceps at all. I think it's normal to feel it a little bit in your arms since you are holding weights with them, but if you feel it mostly in your biceps and not at all in your chest I'm thinking something is not correct about your form.
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:chest presses/flies 2008/09/12 23:40:47 (permalink)
    It would be normal to feel it in your triceps (back of arms).   This would vary from person to person, and also on the workout itself.  The smaller muscles of the triceps fatique faster than the bigger muscles in the chest.  Some workouts are sequenced to prefatique the stronger muscles first. 

But if it is your biceps (front of the arms)...that is very puzzling.  Even when I used to lift very heavy (multiple sets of 12 with 140 barbell, plus sets on incline, decline, flys etc) my triceps would fry....but nothing in the biceps.   

Ah the days...sigh...I was so strong then...I"m a weakling now...but I'm workin it..and getting stronger.
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:chest presses/flies 2008/09/12 23:56:28 (permalink)
    Would like to add to what previous posters wrote in that I agree that you may be lifting too heavy or have a form problem.  It would be expected to feel it in the belly of the muscle....ie midway between the shoulder and elbow on the back of the arm...but feeling close to the elbow...could be a form issue.  Or if you are just starting out.....you may lifted too heavy or too many sets, before your tendons, muscles etc have gotten used to the movement.  Be sure to give the muscles time to recover before your next workout......and lower the weight so you can focus on form.
    kitkat
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re:chest presses/flies 2008/09/13 13:21:48 (permalink)
    fitnessbuff

I think you have to make sure you are using proper form. When they are at their highest point the weights should be right over your chest, not somewhere else. And you have to concentrate on moving your arms up and down from the chest. Keep your wrists and elbows not moving so that you are not working your biceps at all. I think it's normal to feel it a little bit in your arms since you are holding weights with them, but if you feel it mostly in your biceps and not at all in your chest I'm thinking something is not correct about your form.

Thanks all, even though this is posted in the collage section I like hearing suggestions form everyone.  I was doing a Jari workout so only used 5lbs because of all the reps. fitnessbuff, maybe that is what I'm doing wrong, using my arms too much and not moving from my chest, I will try to focus more on that next time.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1