Helpful ReplyHot!fish oil supplements and soy

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
katie
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 1955
2013/02/13 20:02:34 (permalink)

fish oil supplements and soy

I've taken fish oil supplements for quite a few years now and use to read the label for ingredients which basically showed the types of fish and nothing else that I recall...gelatin maybe?  I quit reading the labels since they seemed fairly consistent and then DH brought some home the other day, a different brand and I looked a the label, first ingredient listed was soy, then fish.  I looked at the old brand and they listed fish and then soy.  When did they start putting soy in fish oil supplements?  I'm guessing it's more of a preservative??  I googled it and didn't find much.  Soy seems to be in pretty much everything processed but I never thought it'd be in fish oil too.  Anyone else have a brand that they recommend that is more pure?  Has anyone ever tried pharmaceutical grade fish oil?    Thanks!

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
Beeah
  • Total Posts : 530
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/14 04:42:51 (permalink)
katie

I've taken fish oil supplements for quite a few years now and use to read the label for ingredients which basically showed the types of fish and nothing else that I recall...gelatin maybe?  I quit reading the labels since they seemed fairly consistent and then DH brought some home the other day, a different brand and I looked a the label, first ingredient listed was soy, then fish.  I looked at the old brand and they listed fish and then soy.  When did they start putting soy in fish oil supplements?  I'm guessing it's more of a preservative??  I googled it and didn't find much.  Soy seems to be in pretty much everything processed but I never thought it'd be in fish oil too.  Anyone else have a brand that they recommend that is more pure?  Has anyone ever tried pharmaceutical grade fish oil?    Thanks! 

Andrew Lessman, top of the line I buy them from HSN and also from his website, his supplement are excellent, here's the link to his fish oil, you can read the ingredients no soy whatso ever, in fact I didn't know soy was used in fish oil because I've only used this brand, he strives to keep his vitamin pure (sometime I think they're a little pricy but for me worth it) , soy seems like a cheap filler to me. HTH

http://www.procapslabs.com/Products/details.aspx?Essential+Omega-3%u2122+-+Orange+-+No+Fishy+Taste

And here's a line link to the actual label

http://www.procapslabs.com/Images/Products/PDF/Ref-301080.pdf
post edited by Beeah - 2013/02/14 04:56:19

If you're not living on the edge....than you're taking up too much space !"-Jay Johnson from Bootcamp Fitness
flower child
  • Total Posts : 552
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/14 09:42:51 (permalink)
Calson's Fish Oil is pure Norwegian fish oil. They also offer Cod Liver Oil. No soy. You can buy it at health food stores.

Also, Green Pasture offers fermented cod liver oil/butter oil combination. It is great and high in vitamin C. Check it out at greenpasture.com.

Soy is turning up in all kinds of processed food. It's one of the big 3 commodities (wheat, corn, soy) that is subsidized. Pretty awful. We can thank Earl Butz.
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/14 12:49:46 (permalink)
Thanks Beeah and flower child...I looked at the links Beeah and also will check out Calson's flower child.  I don't know when some companies started adding soy-it certainly wasn't the norm when I first started taking fish oil but the one company had soy listed first which means it's the main ingredient.  pretty shoddy IMO!  Should be advertised as soy capsules not fish oil capsules.

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
larjo4
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/14 12:59:36 (permalink)
katie

Reply from:  Larjo4
Soy is not in every Omega-3 product.  It is not necessary for their production.  The most important ingredients you need to know about are the EPA and DHA levels.  Most products are loaded with fat.  You would be better off eating a stick of butter.  For example, Ocean Blue Professional has 1350 EPA and 600 DHA and 150 DPA in each serving of 2 softgels.  Omega 6 and 9 are already produced by the body and provide little to no benefit to the body.  The other product mentioned in this thread is loaded with fish fat - left over by-products from recycled fish.  Try Ocean Blue...www.oceanblueprofessional.com.  You will see a remarkable difference in the positive effects over the other OTC products out there.
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/16 08:59:35 (permalink)
thanks Larjo4, l'll look into ocean blue as well, clearly, what I've been taking is very substandard....

mlb
  • Total Posts : 1599
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/16 20:25:35 (permalink)
The reply from Larjo4 confused me.  It's a thread about fish oil....and oil is fat.  You take fish oil for it's healthy essential fatty acids.  Fatty acid = fat...right?   So is Larjo4 saying that  epa/dha/dpa is extracted from the product she mentioned, leaving behind the fat?  Can you even do that?  And if you could...would you really want to?  Larjo4, are you associated with the product?  I saw that you created a profile on the day you posted...and it was your first post.  If you are a lurker who is interested in exercise DVD,  introduce yourself please.  

Personally, I'm a bit leary about taking supplements that are extractions from the original source.  My late mom was part of the famous CAROT study which took beta carotine and isolated it from the source...leaving out other carotines etc.  They hoped to show that beta carotine would reduce cancer among smokers or possibly, no effect.    Instead, they had to cancel the study abrubtly because the group getting the beta carotine was having a higher rate of cancer.  My mom was diagnosed with cancer  just shortly after the study was terminated, and died shortly after.  What I took away from this is that it is better to get what your need from whole food and that if that is not possible, to get it from whole food type supplements instead of highly processed ones.
flower child
  • Total Posts : 552
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/16 22:18:42 (permalink)
Larjo4's remark was very strange. Omega 3 fish oil does come from the fat of the fish or the liver of cod. MLB is spot on. I think Larjo4 is a shill from Ocean Blue. Just sayin'
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/16 22:48:14 (permalink)
I agree..Larjo4's tone seemed a bit spammish but I do need to upgrade my fish oil supplements..putting soy in fish oil supplements just seems bizarre to me.   I would love to eat more actual real fish but where we live it's hard to get decent fish...I've tried and it's a waste of money.

I'm sorry about your mom, mlb.

mlb
  • Total Posts : 1599
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/17 00:27:18 (permalink)
thanks Katie  :)
AnnieBananie
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/17 11:44:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
If larjo4 didn't have an interest in that company, I find it interesting that he/she hasn't been back on to either defend the position or otherwise comment or post.

At any rate, katie, if you haven't found a brand yet I swear by New Chapter, as does the health food store nutritionist from where I get most of my vitamins and supplements.  This is made from 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon, no soy.  I've never heard of soy in a fish oil product either.  New Chapter isn't cheap but you can get it online from Vitacost to get the bottle with the extra 24 free capsules and to save a few dollars.  (I try to support my local independently-run store as much as possible though)

Good luck with your search!

I'm sorry too about losing your mom, mlb.

~~The yogini says to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."
Vantreesta
  • Total Posts : 8768
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/17 12:05:47 (permalink)
i just looked at my now-empty bottle of nature made fish oil.  ingredients: fish and soy.  thanks for bringing this up, katie.  i'll look for a different brand too.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/18 09:39:00 (permalink)
Vannie, I had nature made too which isn't the "top shelf" of supplements but isn't bad either...I've done well with them with other things. I don't think they always put soy in their fish oil??? 

AB, I looked at New Chapter and their store locator shows our little corner health food store carries their products so I'm going to call later for pricing.  I like that it's all from wild salmon and not a blend.  the label shows more things like D3 as well.  This could be the winner!  Thanks!

katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/02/18 14:07:33 (permalink)
AB, I talked with our health food store...they don't have the kind I want but what they do have is expensive!  150 gel caps for $57.95...does that sound about right to you?  Anyhow, I looked on the site more and found a Wholemega Flex that is geared towards the fish oil(wild salmon) and a few herbs(I think rosehips, ginger and turmeric) to aid in joints and cartilage repair.  I'm really looking forward to trying this!!  I've never done well with chondroitin glucosamine, always upset my stomach after a short while and never felt any benefits.  Hopefully this'll be the ticket!  They have another product that's geared towards fighting inflammation to that I'm going to look into as well.  Thanks so much!  :)

kimd
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/07 18:41:30 (permalink)
Hi Katie,

So how's the fish oil  doing? I've never taken it before, but I'm not sure if the knee rehab I just started is working, so I'm curious if you have noticed a difference...and since you mention it, I'm wondering how much the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM has helped me!
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/07 20:09:37 (permalink)
Hi Kim, I do think the fish oil is helpful but I get frustrated with supplements.  So many products have soy in them now or the ones that don't are pretty expensive.  I'm trying to get more from eating Tuna more often or salmon.  I think I'm better off getting it from an actual food instead of a pill but quality is also hard to get where we live.  I have tried the glucosamine/chondroitin in the past a couple times and about two weeks into it, my stomach starts getting bothered.   Something else to consider is Knudsons Black Cherry Juice.....my providers nurse recommended this too me to help with inflammation and I try to keep a bottle in the frig.      HTH

MH
  • Total Posts : 6498
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/08 12:45:14 (permalink)
Just out of curiosity I checked the two brands of Fish Oil I have. The Meijer Naturals brand does not have any soy in it. But the Target brand does.
kimd
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/08 19:53:44 (permalink)
Thank you so much, Katie!  I get discouraged sometimes because I love working out, though parts of my body apparently don’t—at least, not always. I love black cherries, so I’ll be more than happy to try the juice, and since I can’t stand fish, I’ll go for the oil. If it works, I think it’ll be worth the cost.

I'll give the "knee-hab" some more time, but I'm relieved to know that perhaps it isn't my last resort.
katie
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/11 10:25:35 (permalink)
kimd, I hear ya on the fish...i'm not much of a fan of salmon but i'm trying a few new recipes to see if i can find one that will make me change my mind.  the black cherry juice is very concentrated and the nurse recommended it to me because even though real cherries taste better, it would be pretty hard to eat enough cherries to get the same benefits of even 1 cup of the juice.  This particular nurse's husband had R.A. and they found the cherry juice helpful for inflammation so I felt that she was speaking not just as a trained health care professional but also with some family experience.  She is also the same nurse who got me into taking vitamin D3 as a supplement and suggested I get tested for it...I was severely deficient and after supplementing with D3 I found it also had an effect on muscle/joint aches and pains in a real positive way.  HTH

Paul
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:fish oil supplements and soy 2013/12/18 00:17:15 (permalink)
Hey Katie if you have some recipes of it then plz share some good recipes here. I really need some good stuff. Do share with us. Thanks.
lakecountybootcamps
post edited by Paul - 2013/12/21 00:11:44
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1