Hot!Help! Need motivation for Yoga!

Author
Browneyes
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 46
2013/06/05 09:20:45 (permalink)

Help! Need motivation for Yoga!

I'm trying to start a regular yoga workout schedule. I'm going to go 3 days yoga (M/W/F) and 3 days cardio (T/R/Sat) with Sunday off. Pretty reasonable. The yoga workouts are things like Jillian, Firm Yoga, Short and Sweet, and other do-able type workouts (no "Ultimate Yogi" or super Ashtanga for this gal). 

The problem is motivation. Given that in yoga, you're lifting your OWN body weight (as opposed to high rep light weights, where you lift other weights) and I can't adjust that weight down because, well, it's ME I'm lifting!

Yoga makes me feel great. It stretches my muscles and relieves tension. I'm a strong endo and I can do pushups OK. I gain strength easily. But the problem is that the idea of pushing my own body weight (as opposed to say, a "Firm Pink" and lifting a 5 lb weight) makes me NOT want to do the yoga workout. I think it would be easier to lift a 5 lb weight than to do a yoga workout. Once I get started on the yoga workout, I'm OK. It's just the starting that makes me go "ugh....I've got to lift my own bodyweight right now and it's 5am and I'm TIRED!)

Anybody have any ideas, suggestions, or advice? If you've done regular yoga workouts, how have you handled it? I really want to focus on yoga, but I can't get started some mornings!

10 Replies Related Threads

SH
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/05 20:22:35 (permalink)
    Browneyes, one of my goals for 2013 was to seriously add yoga to my routine.  So, I took the plunge about 2 1/2 months ago and have consistently included yoga 2-3 times a week in my rotation alternating with kettlebells.

Like you, I was a little unmotivated at the beginning.  Thinking about it, two things really worked for me.  1) I found yoga workouts that I really like!  There are soooo many out there and after a lot of trial and error, I finally found what I like doing and look forward to doing.  2) Starting with shorter sessions also helped.  I have several dvds that include several 20mins workouts.  Youtube is also good for this.  That way, I could do a short or a long yoga session.  This took away some of the initial dread factor and eliminated any excuses.  I always work our for at least 20mins.

Really, I have seen a LOT of positive changes in my body alternating yoga with kettlebells.  I honestly feel that my changes are due to both but probably more yoga.  I would like to try doing only yoga and see what happens but I don't know if I am ready for that just yet:-) 

Anyhoo, HTH and good luck!
    SH
    miss_mofia
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 778
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/05 22:21:15 (permalink)
    Is morning the only time you can do yoga? I would dread doing it in the morning because my body is just not "stretchy". Could that be contributing to the dread factor?
    Browneyes
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/06 05:40:13 (permalink)
    SH - Good idea! It's nice to know someone else is also getting serious about yoga. I think just going for it with a shorter dvd is a good idea. 

miss_mofia - I prefer to workout in the mornings. I like to get up early and am a morning person so that works well for me. I go to bed pretty early, so a workout at 6pm end less than three hours before bed.
    Alice Kathleen
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/06 11:49:50 (permalink)
    Hi,  I have been a yoga fan since 1962,  so let me chime in!  If 
    it's TONING you want,  then weights or Pilates are the best
    choices.   Of course,  yoga does tone and strengthen,  but we
    are comparing here.   I suggest thinking of yoga as a time to
    experience your body,  to gently stretch muscles and ligaments,  
    to focus on the breath,  to feel an elongation.   This is the
    sensation that you find so pleasant, and yoga to me is
    very sensual, very personal.   At this point in my life,  I do my
    own yoga practice in the evening.   I use this time to address
    any tight or "hurting" areas of the body, and I try to move
    from head to toe, standing,  to kneeling, to lying on the
    mat.   You might like to also take your yoga to the backyard, 
    the park, or any pretty, peaceful spot now that summer is
    here.   I often take a mat to a large old park in my neighborhood
    and see what my body would like to do today.   Balancing poses?
    Tight hips and shoulders?   How good it feels after doing those
    opening and stretching poses in the outdoors surrounded by
    huge trees,  sunlight,  clouds.  
    Of course,  you can still do any number of fun yoga videos too, 
    it's all good!   But do try the "sensual solo practice" and 
    let your body decide how long to hold the pose, which pose
    to do,  and when to end the practice.   Best,  AK
    Browneyes
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/08 07:56:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Alice. 

It's ironic that you mention letting the body decide and that you do the poses in the evenings. I'm thinking of this as a formal "workout" and you are thinking of it as a whole body wellness exercise.  I'm not looking to gain muscle but rather gain endurance and tone. And you're right...that stretching feels so good!

My other thought was perhaps doing some stretches, like you suggested, based on just what my body needed. I know enough of the poses to just "do them" and I was doing a 10 minute series of them when I hurt my lower back, which helped heal me. So the other possible plan was to do formal "workouts" in my morning workout slots and then in the evenings, perhaps go through a series of yoga poses for the areas that need it....say, my hips, back, and such, which would be maybe 10 minutes worth. 

Hmmmm.....a new perspective and different from my "all or nothing" approach. I like it. Thanks!
    BunnyHop
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2013/06/11 20:46:49 (permalink)
    Motivation? For me, it's easiest to keep going with an exercise habit if I'm aware of what I've achieved, what I'm doing today, and what I'm planning to keep expanding my knowledge and abilities.

Sounds kinda vague, but I've heard it described as a 'moving forward' mindset.

For example, when I do a dance workout, I do what I can, I notice how my abilities have improved since the last time I did it, and I notice ways that I can keep growing and learning.

It seems to keep me motivated.
    1okaday
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2020/10/19 20:35:32 (permalink)
    It's more of a mind thing if you ask me. If you're not use to consistently doing it all the time, then it'll be hard to get motivated. See yourself doing it/yoga in your mind consistently first and then you'll be more motivated to do it.
    Here's also a great best seller book on Amazon that you can read for free!
    https://amzn.to/37lgpcy
    swa77
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2020/11/17 21:01:29 (permalink)

How to power through low energy days (30-minute yoga practice) 
    Feeling low on motivation? This yoga session will give you a much-needed balance boost. Deborah teaches you how to check in with your body and gain the strength to push out of your rut. Let’s get on the mat. Autumn is here and you may have noticed your energy is lagging. Our yoga guru Deborah explains how changing seasons can affect our minds and bodies. The good news is you can use your power to rebalance your energy and motivation in this 30-minute video.
    Our minds and bodies are connected and when they’re out of balance, you may feel lethargic or lazy. This is common during seasonal changes when days are shorter and the weather changes. It can disrupt your circadian rhythm and energy levels. Yoga is healing and energizing and can restore your energy. Follow Deborah Quibell as she takes you through a series of yoga positions including Downward Facing Dog, Crescent Pose and Child’s Pose while stretching and breathing. You’ll use your power and strength to restore a healthy balance and get you feeling motivated again.

yoga and meditation videos: https://oke.io/lH17Gdf
    ra904
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2020/11/26 21:16:39 (permalink)
    Здравствуйте .
    Представляю вам 3 системы тренинга.
    Изучайте , повторяй

1)https://oke.io/UIpZfcc

2)https://oke.io/ltNMlC3

3)https://oke.io/fUlFhpl

С уважением Иван Р
    ra904
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Help! Need motivation for Yoga! 2020/11/26 21:18:39 (permalink)
    Здравствуйте .
    Представляю вам 3 системы тренинга.
    Изучайте , повторяй

1)https://oke.io/UIpZfcc

2)https://oke.io/ltNMlC3

3)https://oke.io/fUlFhpl

С уважением Иван Р
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1