Hot!Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations?

Author
SuzyQ
Silver member (100-199 posts)
  • Total Posts : 158
2013/09/16 14:09:24 (permalink)

Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations for natural peanut butter.  I would prefer that it not require refrigeration (is this possible?) and that it not have that giant oil slick at the top of the jar.  Currently using Natural Jif which is better than regular (and much better than low fat, which I know to stay away from) but I'm not sure how "natural" it really is.

18 Replies Related Threads

mlb
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/16 19:50:24 (permalink)
    SuzyQ

I'm looking for recommendations for natural peanut butter.  I would prefer that it not require refrigeration (is this possible?) and that it not have that giant oil slick at the top of the jar.  Currently using Natural Jif which is better than regular (and much better than low fat, which I know to stay away from) but I'm not sure how "natural" it really is.

I'm not sure that it is possible to have unprocessed natural peanut butter that does not have oil on the top.  I think in order to NOT have the oil at the top...it has to be processed.  A process called hydrogenation creates transfats which is an extremely unhealthy form of oil to eat.  But even if you can get pre-blended  non-hydrogenation peanut butter....I think I'd still go with the kind I have to blend myself, that way I know.  Because.......sometimes....I just don't trust food companies.

I understand your not wanting the oil at the top....peanut butter is thick, and it is not easy to blend the oil into the peanut butter, even if is at room temperature.  On the plus side, I've never had to blend more than once, when I first open the jar.  When I buy a new jar, I set it either upside down or on it's side on the counter, and let gravity help get the blending process started, sometimes that works...sometimes it doesn't. 

We buy small jars...easier to blend...and we finish the jar pretty quickly.  That way even if we leave it out of the refrigerator it is pretty fresh.   Adams is the brand that we've found easiest to find in most grocery stores...though I don't know if it is the best or not.  It does require blending.    

BTW....If you haven't tried Almond butter, give that a try, we prefer that to peanut butter.
    StacyK
    • Total Posts : 633
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/18 22:22:24 (permalink)
    I agree with MLB. The most natural stuff will need to be refrigerated. We like the flavor and consistency of Trader Joe's. The smaller jars are easier to mix and TJs seems to be creamier and therefore easier to mix. For those who buy the giant jars of Adam's at Costco, I dump the whole jar into a bowl and use my electric mixer. Then I just scoop it back into the original jar. It is quicker and less messy than trying to mix it in the jar.

We also use almond butter. It is a bit runnier than most peanut butters that I've purchased so it's easier to mix and spread.
    post edited by StacyK - 2013/09/18 22:24:57
    SuzyQ
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/19 07:56:52 (permalink)
    StacyK

I agree with MLB. The most natural stuff will need to be refrigerated. We like the flavor and consistency of Trader Joe's. The smaller jars are easier to mix and TJs seems to be creamier and therefore easier to mix. For those who buy the giant jars of Adam's at Costco, I dump the whole jar into a bowl and use my electric mixer. Then I just scoop it back into the original jar. It is quicker and less messy than trying to mix it in the jar.

We also use almond butter. It is a bit runnier than most peanut butters that I've purchased so it's easier to mix and spread.

I'm actually planning a trip to Trader Joe's this Saturday.  I will look for their brand there.  Thanks!
    SuzyQ
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/19 07:58:43 (permalink)
    mlb

SuzyQ

I'm not sure that it is possible to have unprocessed natural peanut butter that does not have oil on the top.  I think in order to NOT have the oil at the top...it has to be processed.  A process called hydrogenation creates transfats which is an extremely unhealthy form of oil to eat.  But even if you can get pre-blended  non-hydrogenation peanut butter....I think I'd still go with the kind I have to blend myself, that way I know.  Because.......sometimes....I just don't trust food companies.

I understand your not wanting the oil at the top....peanut butter is thick, and it is not easy to blend the oil into the peanut butter, even if is at room temperature.  On the plus side, I've never had to blend more than once, when I first open the jar.  When I buy a new jar, I set it either upside down or on it's side on the counter, and let gravity help get the blending process started, sometimes that works...sometimes it doesn't. 

We buy small jars...easier to blend...and we finish the jar pretty quickly.  That way even if we leave it out of the refrigerator it is pretty fresh.   Adams is the brand that we've found easiest to find in most grocery stores...though I don't know if it is the best or not.  It does require blending.    

BTW....If you haven't tried Almond butter, give that a try, we prefer that to peanut butter.

Thanks for your response MLB.  I answered back a few days ago, but it looks like my post disappeared like some of the others.  I love almond butter.  Really the only reason I was looking for non-refrigerated is so that I could keep it at my desk at work.
    Leonana
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/19 09:41:18 (permalink)
    We use TJ's natural peanut butter. You do have to mix it, but just the first time.. I then refrigerate it.

However, my dh likes his out of the refrigerator, so we keep it in the pantry. It seems to last a long time, and he doesn't have to to re-mix it.

Sherry
    mlb
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/19 11:11:57 (permalink)
    Suzy,
    I saw your reply before it got deleted.

I have an idea.  Use Stacy's method and take it out of the jar and use the blender.  Then go buy those disposable plastic containers at the grocery store.  There is a small size, about the size of a plum.  Buy those and fill them.  Take one to work, and store the others in the refrigerator.  In fact, that's what I'm going to do...and hubby with have small containers to take to work with him, or we can grab a small container when we take a day trip.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/23 09:42:29 (permalink)
    My fav is the kind where you go into store and turn on the grinder.   Some Whole Foods
    have them,  most "health food" or "co ops" have them.   The resulting PB is so delicious, 
    it spoils you for all others, alas!   Let us know what you find that is good.
    SuzyQ
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/23 10:55:21 (permalink)
    Alice Kathleen

My fav is the kind where you go into store and turn on the grinder.   Some Whole Foods
    have them,  most "health food" or "co ops" have them.   The resulting PB is so delicious, 
    it spoils you for all others, alas!   Let us know what you find that is good.

My local HEB has the kind that you grind, but I've never tried it.  Definitely have a few new options to try.  I checked on Fooducate, and surprisingly Kroger has a natural peanut butter in their store brand.  Ingredients are peanuts and salt. Don't know about refrigeration, but I may give that one a whirl too.  I will end up being quite the peanut butter connoisseur by the time it is all said and done!
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/25 15:46:42 (permalink)
    I always keep my PB in fridge,  no matter what brand.   My
    guy does not,  but I grew up keeping it in the fridge.
    Leonana
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/25 23:20:59 (permalink)
    Same here, AK! What is it with our guys and keeping the pb out of the fridge, lol.

Sherry
    SuzyQ
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/26 07:18:28 (permalink)
    Leonana

Same here, AK! What is it with our guys and keeping the pb out of the fridge, lol.

I find it harder to spread straight out of the fridge, but maybe that depends on the brand.
    Carol S.
    • Total Posts : 2743
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/26 20:22:23 (permalink)
    And here is what Smucker's says:

How should Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter be stored?

Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter may bestored at room temperature, such as in a cupboard or on a pantry shelf.Refrigeration is not required but does slow down thenaturally-occurring oil separation process. While you may chooserefrigeration or room temperature storage depending on your preferences,we do not recommend freezing our natural peanut butter.

Carol

Leonana
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/26 21:41:55 (permalink)
    Good to know, Carol.

Sherry
    mlb
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/27 11:19:36 (permalink)
    That is interesting Carol,

I'm thinking then that Smuckers refrigerates their product after manufacture and during transport.  And possibly, Smuckers spends less time on the shelf, than the brand I have been buying, which for a lonnnggg time was the only natural style available. 

I now believe my assumption about the lack of oil at the top meaning it was somehow more processed was wrong.
    post edited by mlb - 2013/09/27 11:22:21
    SuzyQ
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/09/30 08:04:25 (permalink)
    If we can in fact store it in the pantry, I wouldn't really worry about it going bad as peanut butter doesn't last very long in my house anyway!  Still, I wouldn't store any outside of the fridge if the label specifically says that it requires refrigeration.  I would go by the manufacturer's recommendation just to be safe.
    Gamzotti
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/10/09 22:01:35 (permalink)
    When the oil sits at the top, it is easy to pour out- to create your own natural, reduced fat peanut butter.  :)
    I don't keep peanut butter in the house cause I could (and would) eat a jar in one sitting no problem.  :(
    CristineG
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2013/10/13 19:40:16 (permalink)
    I use  PB2 and love it.  Its powder mix with water only 45 cal
    amzoun95
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Natural Peanut Butter Recommendations? 2019/08/16 16:45:29 (permalink)
    I pretty much only use PB as an ingredient, but I do prefer crunchy. It adds a little texture to whatever I'm baking.

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l
    post edited by amzoun95 - 2019/08/17 15:41:17
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1