Clean Eating

Author
Samurai Geisha
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/12/03 12:11:44 (permalink)

Clean Eating

Hello, all.
I am new to this forum, although have been a Collage fan for several years. After getting married last year and becoming a full-time caregiver for an semi-invalid parent, my former exercise routine and dietary choices have been altered considerably in the last several months. Also, my metabolism is beginning to change. Sooooo, I am packing an extra 10-15 pounds that have GOT to go.

My question is: What does the term "clean eating" mean to you? Is it ultra low carb, high protein like Atkins? Caloric restriction? Mediterranean diet? etc.

I have dozens of workout DVDs, a TotalGym, weights, a rebounder (all of which I use - occasionally), but I think my diet needs to be under control, and right now it is kind of hit-or-miss.

Thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

Leonana
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/03 21:51:52 (permalink)
    I've lost some weight in the past nine months. I used My Fitness Pal (MFP) and counted my calories. I also recorded my exercise calories on MFP and ate those calories also.

I found that some foods filled me up and gave me energy. Other foods were not satisfying or even made me hungrier, and lowered my energy. As time went on, I gradually ate more and more of the foods that filled me up.

I eat raw nuts, some whole grains, coconut milk and almond milk, lean meats, small amounts of dairy, vegetables and fruits. However, I do treat myself to white flour breads and sweets - I just have very small portions.

After about two months, I was able to stop counting the calories as I learned what to eat.

I think it varies from person to person. You have to experiment and find which foods are best for you.

Good luck!

Sherry
    Cam
    • Total Posts : 1039
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/05 18:36:48 (permalink)
    You might want to check out the Abs Diet for Women.  I never read wellness books, but I really learned a lot about healthy eating and finding healthy substitutions that fill you up.  It's a practical book and I got it from the library a few years back.
    MH
    • Total Posts : 6498
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/06 08:01:13 (permalink)
    I am no expert on clean eating. What I do know that if you research it, it will make your head spin there is so much information out there. Same with the benefits of exercise..cardio vs weights vs yoga/barre vs running vs walking vs a gazillion other theories. There is a reason why the diet/workout industry is a billion dollar enterprise.

Plus many people seem to have various reactions to various foods. Some swear eliminating dairy was the trick for them. Others say it is gluten free. Others say it's counting calories and watching your portions and keeping it balance. Others poo-poo the calories in/out theory and say it's about the ration of carbs/protein/good fats. Others suggest journaling.

So with all that, my suggestion is find what works best for you.

I know this much for me, (not saying this is what is the best just saying what works for me) is if I counted calories and journaled everything I ate then I feel I am giving the power of my life over to what I eat becasue eating becomes the soul purpose of most of my daily activity. I feel if I started to journal then my issues with food becomes the soul purpose of my day to day existence. I would be always thinking about it and writing it down and calculating etc. And personally I don't like that. But some have suggested that maybe journaling for a few weeks or a month just to see where some of the issues are. Then after  you figure out that maybe that late night eating in front of of the tv is the problem then eliminate it or find a healthy snack to replace the box of cookies. Short term journaling seems to help people discover the problem areas and helps them find solutions to eliminate them.

For the most part what I think is the ultimate truth is our bodies are like machines. If you look at food as fuel for your body then you only want to put in the quality gas, oil and maintenance. This will make you body last better and longer. Same with your car. Food is fuel for our bodies and I believe that approach is the best then you can add or eliminate the other food sensitivities issues you may have. Sure, it's fine to indulge here and there then make adjustments. But ultimately for me, is not making what you eat the sole reason for your existence. Then I think you will be unhappy because you are dwelling on it all the time.

Good luck. I hope you find the right program that works best for you.
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/06 10:55:31 (permalink)
    I always thought clean eating meant removing the proceed food. Cutting out the stuff with preservatives. Eating more healthy for you. If the means gluten free  or lactose free...
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/06 12:21:15 (permalink)
    Diet is basic to health.  I avoid processed foods,  sugars,  grease.  In other words, no chips, dips, 
    fast food,  no red meat (my own choice),  no bread product except for corn tortillas, no salad
    dressing except for olive oil,  fish and tofu most days,  nuts daily,  unsalted.   One meal a day
    is a mixed green salad with tofu.   But not to be grim,  life is too short for that!  Dark chocolate
    daily,  good coffee,  teas, and a daily night cap!  (usually a g and t or glass of wine).  

Exercise is a life saver,  esp. if you have a sit down job.  It helps with stress, and every 
    body function from posture to digestion.    A good mix of videos is a great start to a fitness journey.
    Leonana
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/06 19:38:19 (permalink)
    MH

But some have suggested that maybe journaling for a few weeks or a month just to see where some of the issues are. Then after  you figure out that maybe that late night eating in front of of the tv is the problem then eliminate it or find a healthy snack to replace the box of cookies. Short term journaling seems to help people discover the problem areas and helps them find solutions to eliminate them.

That is how MFP worked for me. It showed me which foods were lower calorie, filled me up and gave me energy. Eventually, I was able to stop using it.

Sherry
    HelloBetty
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/12 07:20:00 (permalink)
    For me clean eating is choosing foods as close to the natural source as possible.  I have really tweaked my diet since I started on my health/fitness journey in 1999.

Nowadays I eat only veggies, fruit, green smoothies, eggs, salmon, chicken, some turkey and brown rice.  I do eat some bread (organic and 100% whole wheat) and dairy (mainly cheese) but not as much as I used it.  I choose organic first if I am financially able.  I read food labels and try to choose items that have the least amount of ingredients as well as ingredients that I know what they are.  I have cut out cereal, juice, margarine, red meat, pasta, fast foods and  junk food.

I do allow myself a cheat meal once a week and I do have free eating days on holidays and vacations.

{{{Hugs}}} to you for taking care of family.  I did that for my dad with dementia along with my 2 sisters and mom.  It is hard work and stressful.  I gained weight as well mainly due to stress eating.  I have managed to lose all of the weight I put on at that time.

Everyone is different.  Read, educate yourself and find what works for you.

Good Luck!

Jane  

Paul
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/17 04:43:21 (permalink)
    Diet plays an important role in our daily life. It is important for us to add healthy and clean food in our diet because healthy and clean food is good for health and we can prevent from many diseases. So proper diet plan is important for everyone.
    A_Size_Healthy
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Clean Eating 2013/12/17 13:06:05 (permalink)
    Paul
    Diet plays an important role in our daily life. It is important for us to add healthy and clean food in our diet because healthy and clean food is good for health and we can prevent from many diseases. So proper diet plan is important for everyone.

Who decides however, what it "proper"? Really, "clean" and/or "proper" is all relative and purely subjective. What one sees as the answer is deemed by someone else as too rigid, wacko, extreme, or unhealthy.

Honestly, listen to your own body and stop trying to abide by dieting rules. If you live life trying to be good or only eat what is allowed, what is "good", or "clean/right" you'll never succeed. Rules, again are subjective. Every diet has it's own rules and by following one, you are breaking rules for another. Do what feels best on your body. There are 100+ yr old women (one was interviewed over the summer) that eats bacon, eggs, butter, and whole milk daily. Others are strictly raw vegans. Some people never do traditional exercise and live to be a million yrs old it seems while the consistent exerciser dies during a race or is diagnosed with a brain tumor or another fatal tumor/cancer. There are no guarantees in life. Never. Ever. Nadda. You don't when your ticket is up and how that ticket will clock you out. You just don't. What you do today may or may NOT help you in the long run. A bus can nail you tomorrow. Heck, a 56 yr old woman was killed crossing the street walking into the hospital where she works minutes from my home yesterday morning. Tip-top shape and was remembered to be a "health" leader among her coworkers. 

DO what FEELS best. Forget the rest. And for your sanity, ditch the rules. Rules are always broken.
    TAMMY
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Clean Eating 2014/01/05 17:35:28 (permalink)
    I think clean eating for me is removing processed foods, sugar and preservatives and unhealthy fats from my diet. Eating whole fresh foods. I have tried several diets and eating styles over the years including, low fat, low carb, vegetarian and practically vegan, blood type diet, ayurvedic diet and probably a few more I'm not remembering at the moment.  I now try to eat a balanced diet and be mindful of my dietary choices without excluding things like fruit, certain veggies, meat and the occassional sweet, glass of wine or splurge meal.  I can always tell when I am out of balance and need to get back to fueling my body with what it needs.  I just focus on being mindful and noticing how my body feels with the types of things I am putting in it and that helps me get back in balance. I try to buy organic fruits, veg, eggs and grassfed organic beef which I do eat occassionally. Sometimes organic isn't available or in the budget so I make do with non organic.  I also find I do better avoiding wheat but I eat other whole grains and potatoes in place of wheat.  I think diet is so completely individual and takes in so many factors. It has taken me years to figure out what works best for me physically and emotionally as far as diet. Let's face it eating is emotional and social as well. So balance and mindfulness works best for me.  I hope you find what works best for you for sustainable,  lifelong health and happiness :)
    RevendMartin
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Clean Eating 2014/10/03 00:09:10 (permalink)
    For healthy living it is very important to eat clean and healthy food. We should add some good stuff in our diet. Clean and healthy food can prevent our body from many diseases so we should eat clean and healthy food only.
    Click here for more information.
    post edited by RevendMartin - 2014/10/04 05:54:44
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1