Hot!Perfect Meals

Author
Gamzotti
Gold member (200-299 posts)
  • Total Posts : 200
2014/03/03 10:10:44 (permalink)

Perfect Meals

For many years, I had a very good diet, but in spite of this, and exercising 6 days a week, I still had a very unfit looking body and as a result. I gave up.  I still exercise, but I eat whatever. Interestingly, I have not gained weight.  I currently believe that my genetics are insisting that I be as big as I am, and that no matter what I try to do, my body will find a way to be what it wants to be.  I want to give healthy eating one more try so I am setting a two month clean eating "diet". After that, I will re-access and proceed as I see fit.  Problem is, I have no idea what to eat anymore.  I am plagued by the (much earned) feeling that nothing works, so everything seems wrong. I am not looking for suggestions along the lines of "balanced protein, low fat, things of that nature, but rather "perfect" meal suggestions.  So far, I have:
1. chicken, brown rice, and mixed vegetables
2. salmon and salad

I have no other ideas.  I don't need constant variety, and don't care about flavor. I just want to try eating right again and see what happens.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

17 Replies Related Threads

SuzyQ
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/03 16:35:19 (permalink)
    Gamzotti,

I'm not sure this would be helpful to you or not, but have you thought about looking thru some healthy cookbooks for new ideas?  I personally like ones by Ellie Krieger, Rocco DiSpirito, Biggest Loser and Chris Freytag.  There's also one called Eat More of What You Love that is really great.  I like short, uncomplicated recipes and these are a few of my favorites. You can probably check these out at the library.

When I start to get in a "food rut" I pull these out and look for new ideas.  There are also some great healthy recipes on the Food Network and Cooking Channel TV websites.  I have really expanded my options and have tried all kinds of new healthy foods this way.

Bon Appetit!!
    mlb
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/03 16:36:01 (permalink)
    What has been working for me is to have a weekend cook up.  We select several recipes to make on Sunday with the intent to have leftovers during the week.  The leftovers are pre-portioned.  We also pre cut a variety of vegetables, and place each in a tupperware container in the frig.   We got a lot of good ideas from our newest cookbook WELL FED...but we've seen the concept in other cookbooks also.

Lately we have been enjoying Lemon and Artichoke Chicken.

2lbs chicken thighs (we used boneless/skinless)
    Juice of two lemons
    2 cups of artichoke hearts (buy the packages of them frozen)
    1/4 cup of capers
    2 shallots or 1/4 of an onion, sliced
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
    Saute the  shallots/onion, then add the lemon, artichoke and capers on the stove.  
    Add the thighs to the pan.
    Place the pan in the oven for 45min or until the thighs are done.

This has been a easy meal, the leftovers are tasty too.

We've also been cooking up a pork roast for pulled pork, with the idea of having leftovers.  We pre-portion it for use during the week. We've been enjoying it with grilled cabbage.  You can drizzled a little butter, ghee, or oil over it before cooking.

Another combination is precooked  boneless pork loin chops.  I have the butcher cut them to my specifications, I like them thin cut...faster to cook, and that way I don't get more than I need.  

I precook the pork, precook some natural uncured bacon, and pre-cook onion.  When it time for that meal, I steam the brocolli a little, then mix them all together to heat in the microwave.  (Beef, onions, bacon and brocolli is good also.)

Finally, there is web based diet coaching from PrecisionNutrition.com.  From what I've seen so far, it looks really good.   A lot of coaches and trainers see this as the gold standard for online nutrition coaching.  (It also introduces the concept of cooking for the day or longer all at once, by using recipes that can be made in 5-10 minutes.)  

The idea of "planning" my meals out for the week always seemed to be just too much, but we've found it to be quite enjoyable.  My hubby and I do it together on Sundays, and enjoy it as something we do together.   And during the week, I eat well.  Last thing you want is to have that "what am I going to eat?" at the end of the day, after a day at work.  And overall, we are spending less time shopping, cooking and cleaning.
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/06 15:20:03 (permalink)
    Hi, I have a couple ideas that might be useful.   LIke you,  I don't need variety.   My lunch (unless
    I am on the road or rarely,  eating out,  is a burrito and a mixed salad and an apple.  Breakfast is
    oatmeal with flax seed,  almonds,  berries.   Snack is a Kind bar, one half daily.   Snacks are
    also a banana a day,  a small orange, prunes,  or seasonal fruit.   Dinner is fish,  and usually
    another salad.   Sometimes we have popcorn in the evening, no butter, no salt.   Variations might
    be an almond on corn tortilla for breakfast,  plain nonfat Greek yoghurt with fruit.   I have an avocado
    every day in my salad, which are spinach, or red cabbage or green cabbage, jicama. olive oil for
    dressing.   That's about it.  Only rarely do I eat out  . 

But I have some thoughts on the body,  too.   Weight training is the best thing, I do feel, for
    changing the body shape and keeping it strong and fit.  Swimming is great,  as is Pilates for
    re shaping.  We are all unique,  and each body is different.   What ,to you, is a fit body?  To me, 
    it's a strong,  flexible body with good posture, a body that will take on a hike,  go for a bike ride, 
    or hit the dance floor on occasion.   I am sure that with the help of the Forum,  you can
    get some ideas and inspiration to make your transformation work so that you are pleased
    with your diet and your bod.   Best, AK
    Alice Kathleen
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/06 15:20:15 (permalink)
    Hi, I have a couple ideas that might be useful.   LIke you,  I don't need variety.   My lunch (unless
    I am on the road or rarely,  eating out,  is a burrito and a mixed salad and an apple.  Breakfast is
    oatmeal with flax seed,  almonds,  berries.   Snack is a Kind bar, one half daily.   Snacks are
    also a banana a day,  a small orange, prunes,  or seasonal fruit.   Dinner is fish,  and usually
    another salad.   Sometimes we have popcorn in the evening, no butter, no salt.   Variations might
    be an almond on corn tortilla for breakfast,  plain nonfat Greek yoghurt with fruit.   I have an avocado
    every day in my salad, which are spinach, or red cabbage or green cabbage, jicama. olive oil for
    dressing.   That's about it.  Only rarely do I eat out  . 

But I have some thoughts on the body,  too.   Weight training is the best thing, I do feel, for
    changing the body shape and keeping it strong and fit.  Swimming is great,  as is Pilates for
    re shaping.  We are all unique,  and each body is different.   What ,to you, is a fit body?  To me, 
    it's a strong,  flexible body with good posture, a body that will take on a hike,  go for a bike ride, 
    or hit the dance floor on occasion.   I am sure that with the help of the Forum,  you can
    get some ideas and inspiration to make your transformation work so that you are pleased
    with your diet and your bod.   Best, AK
    Bumble
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/07 11:12:04 (permalink)
    Here's a suggestion that works well for me ... I don't much care for cooking so I've started blending up a bunch of vegetables into a puree consistency and then freezing them in ice cube portions. I then add some to my smoothies. That way I'm greatly increasing (ensuring) my whole food veggies intake. I realize that's not a 'meal' suggestion, but it's a quick easy way to make sure you're getting good nutrients ...
    katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/07 20:42:11 (permalink)
    A couple side dish ideas for you:  fresh asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle a little olive oil on it, a little black pepper and sea salt.  Put in oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on it, back in oven for 5 minutes.  Really good, simple and fast!

Yams:  bake at 350, hour or so depending on size  and add butter and honey.  Some are pretty big so sometimes can be leftovers for next day or can be a meal in itself for me(maybe not for DH).

We vary our protein from beef, fish(salmon), pork and chicken but fairly simple recipes.  I'll pan fry(using a little olive oil) a small piece of salmon coated with a mix of cumin, cayenne and brown sugar.  Gives it a spicy/sweet glaze.  I find salmon pretty filling so when I get some, I cut it up into small portions and freeze.  I get my recipes from cook books, facebook and blogs.

BTW, mlb, your chicken artichoke recipe looks great!

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    billiefan
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/10 08:27:08 (permalink)
    My taste buds have regressed to age 6. I used to have a perfect diet, then it stopped keeping me skinny, so I relaxed and am now repelled by the salads and veggies I lived on for 40 years! So, I pulverize them and eat loads of green smoothies. Today's was broccoli, green apples, carrots and a dab of baby spinach with green tea and a piece of that cheap peppermint candy for fun. I used to go through 3 huge bunches of broccoli every week all by myself. No more.
    susan
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/10 09:38:43 (permalink)
    Like a couple of other people have already said, smoothies are great way to start the day.  Just throw in whatever fruits, nuts, and whatever healthy stuff you like and you've got a filling but light breakfast.  We keep frozen as well as fresh fruit available.  I haven't yet graduated to adding vegetables, but I've been told that I will not be able to taste the vegetables if I were to add them.
    billiefan
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/10 12:04:10 (permalink)
    I promise the fruit or juice will overwhelm the veggies. No lie!
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/10 18:26:00 (permalink)
    susan
    Like a couple of other people have already said, smoothies are great way to start the day.  Just throw in whatever fruits, nuts, and whatever healthy stuff you like and you've got a filling but light breakfast.  We keep frozen as well as fresh fruit available.  I haven't yet graduated to adding vegetables, but I've been told that I will not be able to taste the vegetables if I were to add them.

Try adding spinach, it's a good "starter" vegetable to add to smoothies.  We can't taste it, and the texture of the smoothie is good also with spinach.
    Gamzotti
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/03/26 17:52:26 (permalink)
    These are good ideas, Thanks!  I have been having smoothies- Almond Milk, Blueberries, Whey and spinach or carrot/orange juice, banana, mushroom, cinnamon, whey.  they taste good and I feel like I am getting vegetables again.  I also add garlic and onion to all of my basic meals.  :)
    I switched from vodka to red wine too, but I'm not sure if that matters or not!
    CollageVideo.com
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/07/15 13:01:23 (permalink)
    Don't forget to check out our Delicious Smoothie Recipes at 
    http://www.pinterest.com/collagevideo
    katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/07/20 10:53:26 (permalink)
    The blueberry Smoothie looks pretty tasty.  Thanks for posting Collage. 

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    CollageVideo.com
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Perfect Meals 2014/07/25 10:34:38 (permalink)
    Make This Smoothie This Weekend! So Refreshing!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/collagevideo
    DarrylSpiers
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Perfect Meals 2016/01/30 15:51:01 (permalink)
    You must try it but i think you should avoid that type of food. But if you want to eat that meals food so i suggest you many meals foods just like fish, mutton etc. I think this is totally different from your dishes and i must say you really enjoy that meals.
    Brooklyn health center
    post edited by DarrylSpiers - 2016/01/30 16:51:51
    DarrylSpiers
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Perfect Meals 2016/03/29 15:36:54 (permalink)
    My perfect meal is whey protein with milk and yogurt....

Provillus
    post edited by DarrylSpiers - 2016/03/30 01:40:13
    Lilyatoms
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Perfect Meals 2016/06/23 09:38:17 (permalink)
    I think that the better way to lost weight is to eat 5 times per day and fresh food. There are a lot of healthy recipes on the web, but at the end the changes will depend on you. I can recommend a place where you can find more tips, it´s called Beyouapp. Remember to eat fresh.

Regards
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1