Confused about resting in between

Author
edgegirl
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 3
2009/01/08 18:33:45 (permalink)

Confused about resting in between

I'm confused.  I want to incorporate cardio and weights/strengthening in my week.  I know you need to rest in between weights/strengthening (are they the same thing?), but I'm so confused if I'm doing combined aerobics and  strengthening such as Leslie Sansone's walking and toning or another dvd that has lunges and arm work incorporated -- does that mean I should not be doing weights the next day?  How do you plan a schedule?  I thought I would do say, Mon - cardio, Tues - weights, Wed. - cardio,  Thurs. - weights, Fri. - cardio, Sat. - Rest and Sun. - Cardio.   But I feel confused about how to let the muscles rest properly yet keep getting the cardio in.  I hope I am making sense where you can advise me.  Thank you so much.
 Linda

4 Replies Related Threads

HelloBetty
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:Confused about resting in between 2009/01/09 11:28:39 (permalink)
    edgegirl

I'm confused.  I want to incorporate cardio and weights/strengthening in my week.  I know you need to rest in between weights/strengthening (are they the same thing?), but I'm so confused if I'm doing combined aerobics and  strengthening such as Leslie Sansone's walking and toning or another dvd that has lunges and arm work incorporated -- does that mean I should not be doing weights the next day?  How do you plan a schedule?  I thought I would do say, Mon - cardio, Tues - weights, Wed. - cardio,  Thurs. - weights, Fri. - cardio, Sat. - Rest and Sun. - Cardio.   But I feel confused about how to let the muscles rest properly yet keep getting the cardio in.  I hope I am making sense where you can advise me.  Thank you so much.
     Linda

Hi Linda,

Your plan looks good.  You do need to rest your muscles if you doing heavy weight workouts.  If you are doing a workout that combines both cardio and toning, either use light weights or no weights at all. 

HTH,

Jane  

edgegirl
    Re:Confused about resting in between 2009/01/10 19:06:39 (permalink)
    Thank you for answering Jane.  I hope you don't mind if I just ask a little more.  First, what would actually be considered "heavy weight workouts?"  And are you saying then that if I do the combined aerobic/toning dvd one day and plan to do something with weights the next day, that I could just not use the weights with the combined dvd and just use the weights on the weight day?  Also,  what about doing lunges on both the combined day and the weight day?  Also, If you are doing lunges one day and then do a walking dvd or treadmill the next day, isn't that still really working your legs and therefore not giving them time to rest?  Thanks for any answers you can give me.  I'm trying to figure it out.  Thanks!
      Linda
    HelloBetty
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:Confused about resting in between 2009/01/11 09:31:35 (permalink)
    Hi Linda,

When I mentioned "heavy weight workouts" I mean when you work your muscles to fatigue and are using challenging weights. 

So if you are doing an aerobic/toning dvd one day and plan on doing a weight workout where you would be challenging your muscles and working them to fatigue then I would use light or no weights when doing the aerobic/toning workout.  The reason being is that when you are doing an aerobic/toning workout, the basis of that workout (usually) is to give you a cardio workout, the toning is helping to keep your heartrate up to keep the cardio burn.  

If you plan on getting the most bang for your buck in doing the weight workout, then you will need to fatigue your muscles and in doing so you will need to use challenging weights. When you lift heavy weight you are basically making small tears in your muscle that need to be repaired before you lift again.  That is why rest is needed.

With leg work it's ok to do lunges one day and walking the next.  Walking is a great overall cardio workout but it's not going to give you the muscle tearing that a weighted lunge (leg) workout will give.  I have often done weighted leg workouts and then gone running the next day.  The important thing is to listen to your body and if you are sore, then do an alternate body part.

I hope this all makes sense.

Jane  

edgegirl
    Re:Confused about resting in between 2009/01/11 16:30:52 (permalink)
    Jane,
    Thank you so much.  I understand.  It's so much clearer to me now!  Thank you.
     Linda
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1