Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Laura
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 2893
2008/09/15 11:22:30 (permalink)

Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre

I want to develop a rotation that's very heavy on the barre, ballet, and isometric styles.

I want to include cardio, too of course.  And, I think, ideally, I would like two days with weights (probably AWT).

I am listing the workouts I own that could qualify as barre/ballet/isometric and I would love your idea in devoping a rotation?  For now, I'm following Lani's link for her 90 day challenge and substituing these types for the pure strenght days...

The Ballet Workout
{Ballet Bootcamp 2}7055^
{Balocity}7913^
{Balletone}7179^
{Balletone Center Moves}7377^
{Beyond Balletone}7885^
NYC Ballet Workout 1
NYC Ballet Workout 2

Bar Method: Designer Sculpting
Bar Method: Fat Free
ATRM: Low Rise
ATRM: Tight Tush
ATRM: Amazing Legs
Lotte Berk: {High Rounded Assets}7095^
Lotte Berk: {Muscle Eats Fat}7105^
Lotte Berk: {Hip Hugger Abs}7085^
{Squeeze}7836^
Pure Barre
some iBallets
(also, the Fluidity dvds, but they aren't favorites)

{Callanetics Evolution}7907^
{SuperCallanetics}7961^
Quick Callanetics Hips and Behind
Quick Callanetics Legs

(a couple of those listed are on order, but expected soon)

I wouldn't mind including the following non-barre items:
Ellen's Studio Series dvds
Kari's {ALC2}7058^
Kari's {Reach}7509^

and I also have the ten minute Ballet segments on 10 Minute Solutions and Jen's Prevention dvd.

I know I have a good selection,...but i can't decide how to make a rotation....
Ideas?
Laura
post edited by Laura - 2008/09/15 12:35:25

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson

27 Replies Related Threads

Andelyn
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 15:28:54 (permalink)
    Laura, you have the same basic problem I have :) Too many goodies, not sure how to rotate them. Awhile back (probably a year ago) MRS answered a post along with some other ladies, and I realized I can't possibly do everything I want to do in a "rotation" - it would be like creating the perfect rotation and I'd have to have several hours each day (or at least 90 minutes). Well, maybe it's possible, but just in case you might want to do what I have been doing (which maybe you have been doing too). I will take a few DVDs and rotate them for awhile, and they can be a couple different "types" (AWT or step or barre or pilates or yoga, or a combo of those, but not all of them) and then after using them for 2 or 3 weeks, then I will switch and use a few different ones for 2 or 3 weeks. Well, lately I have been trying a bunch of new workouts, but before that I was doing this. And it seems to help. I might not have much time to do everything in one rotation, but mixing it up I can work just about everything in over time.

Maybe that's not helpful or what you were really asking. :) Just thoughts....

Andelyn
    Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 15:35:40 (permalink)
    Well, another thought. In Dec/Jan/Feb, I was working out 6 days out of a week. MWF were cardio days (for me, kickboxing followed by a 20 minute yoga), then Tue/Thurs/Sat were Bar Method (FF or DS alternating) days and maybe a short walk either before or after.

You could just alternate your ballet or barre workouts and do one every other day, and on other days you could do whatever cardio you wanted kind of like I had been doing. I got good results from that rotation. ?

I'm like you, it is hard to kind of stick with a set rotation, so I like some flexiblity in there for when I want to do less or more or take a rest day or do a different DVD. I had gotten the Lotte Berks in order to keep with that basic rotation I was doing, but sub a LB for Bar.

Andelyn
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 17:27:05 (permalink)
    Hmm....
    Good ideas. And you are right: too many workouts, too little time.
    I think I'm gonna keep my "loose goal" of 10 Firm and 10 barre per month. Keep playing around with the rest of the rotation details....
    I like your ideas, though. I like the 20 min yoga on cardio days idea. But, my cardio days tend to be work days (and hence shorter).

Hmmm, indeed!

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 17:32:14 (permalink)
    I find myself wondering, too, about effective combinations. I think you may have noticed that I have them a little "grouped." Even though we refer to these three groups loosely as "barre" there are differences. Callanetics pulses aren't really the same as the LB/MB/Squeeze/etc variety. And neither of those groups are "traditional barre work." I wonder if I should stick with one group per week or aim for one of each per week? I've thought about trying to do two ballet workouts and one BM-type workout per week, plus working in the Quick Callanetics several times....

I'm just not sure. I need the hip and thigh toning I know these types provide, and I enjoy them.... I'm just not sure what would be the most effective way to rotate/combine them.

HMMMMM.....
    Laura

Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 18:05:25 (permalink)
    Okay, I've been thinking about it again lately, and now here you say Callanetics isn't the same as Bar Method / Lotte Berk / Squeeze (of which I have all 3)?  So what makes Callanetics different?  Should I go for the {Callanetics Evolution}7907^ or {Super Cal}7961^ (hey that reminds me of Mary Poppins LOL - don't ask me to spell that word though).  :)

I know I said I was done ordering ;)  but I still have time to add to my Crunch order since they have not sent it yet.  :)  Defeats my purpose of pre-ordering, but oh well!

Let me know!  Laura, and all!  :)

Andelyn
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 18:23:23 (permalink)
    Well, Andye-girl, barre-work is just SuperCall-a-frag-a-list-ic!!!  Lol.

Ooooo, believe me I know about modifying orders!  I placed an order online this weekend,...and I woke up and called Collage as soon as they turned on the phones to "modify" it.  By modify I mean adddddding three dvds (and, yes, I DID pre-order {Crunch Latin Rythms}5555^).  I guess I decided that as long as I was maxed out on shipping anyway, I might as well get those other things I knew I was eventually gonna order anyway.

Yeah, they're different.  Not 100% different; but different all the same.  You still get to pretzel in Callanetics, but you also do other movements not found in BM.  Too, the pulses in Callanetics are much smaller.  I think that the smaller movements (and much higher reps) make it feel different to me.  As to which, I can't say for sure, but I think you might want to start with {Evolution}7907^ or one of the Quicks.  I say that because {SuperC}7961^ is more intense AND more dated.  I would place the challenge level of {Evolution}7907^ somewhere around Bar Method: you'll feel it but you won't need to cry for mercy.  I really like the Quick bc they are so schedule and add on friendly.  And, its easier to overlook the datedness for twently minutes (and they are a little less dated).  {SuperC}7961^ is the most challenging of them all, and so dated....  I'm not sure what you will think of the datedness, you know?  SO, I say try one or two of the others, then move on to SuperC if you want something more intense.  The Quicks arent here at Collage, but I like them and I wish I hadn't waited so long to order them.

If you take a look at the clips, you might see what I mean but the smaller tighter pulses.  In callanetics your movements are so small they're almost still.  And yet, so much harder than they look.

Hope that helps.
    Laura

LRM
    • Total Posts : 1183
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 19:42:47 (permalink)
    ooooohhhh Laura, I'm jealous of your ballet/barre/etc. collection

I have quite a wish list and I guess I'm waiting for birthday or Christmas in hopes of getting some of them!!

You guys would really think my collection is pitiful LOL

I like your idea of working out a rotation, but I can see the difficulty when you have so many.  I like Andelyn's idea of doing some for a couple of weeks then changing up to some others.  I'm sorry,  I don't have any other bright ideas right this minute!
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 21:42:12 (permalink)
    Hi Ballet and Barre enthusiasts! I am trying this again in a more appropriate place! 

Please list your order of preference for the ballet and barre oriented dvds that you have. It would be great if you can discuss what you like about your top picks. I have 2 Lotte Berks ({HHA}7085^ and {HRA}7095^) and {Element Ballet}7905^ (had {NYC Ballet}7736^ version one but got rid of it). I am really intrigued by {Super Callanetics}7961^ but haven't taken the plunge. What are your faves and in what order?

Laura, you have so MANY of these workouts!! Please fill me in! 

Thanks!  
    post edited by w.o.w. - 2008/09/15 21:43:31
    Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 21:55:12 (permalink)
    {Callanetics Evolution}7907^

What type of weighted ball do they use?  I was reading they use one?  Do you have to have it?  What size is it?  How much do they use it/ for what exercises or how many exercises do they use it?

Andelyn
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 22:54:18 (permalink)
    LRM~  I think I'm jealous of my own collection.  But, I am sure I'll add to it, lol.

Andelyn~ They are those little rubbery squishy weighted balls.  Looks like they are one or two pounds.  I don't own any Leslie but I think she uses them in a workout?  Anywhoo, I've seen them around the local clearance outlets for cheap; I didn't have a need for them, but now I think I'll go back and look for them.  The balls aren't used in every exercise, and are only used by the "advanced" modifier then.  She uses them for, maybe, half the moves.  I think at one point she used a heavier one (for bum work, i believe).  I didn't have them, so I just followed the intermediate example when the balls were in use.  Did I mention this one is well cued?

w.o.w.~ WOW!  I don't know where to begin.  I don't think I CAN give you an exact ranking.  I'm a little moody and there are probably a lot I like evenly.  I should add that a few I listed (Pure Barre, {Beyond Balletone}7885^, and {Ballet Bootcamp2}7055^) are on order and still en route to me.  I'm excited about them and trying to find room for them, but I can't really review them.  I think I  love the most:  my Bar Methods, the ATRM Amazing Legs, the Quick Callanetics,  {Element Ballet}7905^, and the Ballet Workout (that last one is very calm and pleasant, but not for anyone who dislike datedness or poor production~it's from the 80's, complete with puffed sleeves, and feathered hair).  I have high hopes for my newbies, and my eyes are peeled for any new Bar Methods (which are expect soon!)

Hope that helps,
    Blessings,
    Laura
    post edited by Laura - 2008/09/15 22:57:31

w.o.w.
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 23:06:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Laura!
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/15 23:38:03 (permalink)
    You are most welcome!

Actually, someone (Fuzzie) on the VF boards suggested alternating between smaller pulsing styles (like BM, Callanetics) and larger movements (like Element or NYC). It sounded like good idea. What do you think?

~L.

w.o.w.
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/16 05:56:24 (permalink)
    I think that sounds like a great idea!
    Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/16 16:48:43 (permalink)
    Laura, thanks for the info about the weighted ball in CE.  I have two small balls that came with a pilates workout (older on VHS) one is 1 pound and the other is 2 pounds.  That could work maybe, but most likely I'll start without.  It's small, so not sure of the size.  I think I'm adding CE to my order :)  Might as well try a Callanetics.  I'm still thinking just a bit about which one.  I am wondering about the {AM/PM}5561^ a little too.  Yeah, sometimes datedness makes me feel weird and I don't like it sometimes.  :)  So the newer CE might work better for me at least to give it a try. 

With {Super Cal}7961^ and the length I wonder if it can easily be broken into segments - like maybe do half or a third at a time? I just hear so many good things about that one.  But maybe I should try an "easier" one to start, and a newer :)

BTW, I'm thinking of creating a rotation that's "very yoga" for awhile.  It's really helping with my anxiety doing it regularly.  I don't want or need to add to my yoga collection.  Somehow or another even after I've purchased some new yogas, I still go back to my old tried and true ones (YZs) and like them better (exception: {Self Ultimate De-stress Yoga}7876^, which I loved and still do).  I like basic, stretchy, relaxing yogas, and I think I find it even more relaxing to use the ones I know well (not any extra thinking involved :)  Just sharing.  Have a great day, Laura and all!

Andelyn
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/16 17:01:56 (permalink)
    I think a "Very Yoga" rotation sounds great, actually.  I think I will have to do that sometime.... 

As for {SuperC}7961^, it's not chaptered.  So, its rather difficult to do it in parts.  I think that's why I like the Quicks.  It's like being able to do the parts.  Still 100 challenging pulses, but in 20 minutes focused on one body part.

{Callanetics Evolution}7907^ IS chapter, very well actually. As one someone mentioned, it has a tutorial chapter on the pulses.  And, you can do "just legs" or whatever you want to focus on.  It has a very, very tranquil feel to me; much more than the olders although they are so quiet-and-softspoken and Callan says "relax" a million times.  I found {Callanetics Evolution}7907^ to be very soothing, and I'm thinking, of all I've tried, it might be most suited to your very chill "Very Yoga" Vibe. But, you have me somewhat curious about {Am/Pm}5561^.  I wonder how that one is chaptered?

BTW, there are neck stretches in all the C's.

I'm curious what you will pick!  Let me know how you like it, especially if you get something I don't have!

Blessings,
    Laura

Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/16 18:05:16 (permalink)
    Laura, thanks for the input.  I'm about 95% sure I'll be adding CE.  And I'm still thinking about {AM/PM}5561^, and {Super Cal}7961^.....?  Maybe just try CE first and see if I like that style.  Glad to know about the neck stretches!!! YES! :)  And glad CE has a tutorial and is chaptered - now I'm 99% sure that's going on my order!  :)  As I type, I come closer to deciding.

Andelyn
    Laura
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/18 09:44:45 (permalink)
    I'm not doing a very good job following my plan....  Too true.  I've been doing barre/ballet inspired workouts all week (and have enjoyed that), but I haven't been very good at the alternating types....  For instance, I did {NYCballet2}7736^ last night and {elementBallet}7905^ this moring, so no isometric in between.  I think I'll do a quick {callenetics}5540^ tonight though.

And, O yeah, I LOVE the thought of doing these workouts daily, but I've noticed that my cardio is weak this week. 

Any thoughts?
    post edited by Laura - 2008/09/18 09:45:20

Andelyn
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/18 10:53:44 (permalink)
    About the lack of cardio...

Well, for me, if I "schedule" more than one workout each day, I tend not to stick with it very long.  That's just me though.

I always like to do the every-other-day plan, of 6 days a week, Cardio, toning, cardio, toning, cardio, toning.  Easier to stick with, and yet you are still working out doing something 6 days.

This was my basic plan while doing BM and kickboxing/yoga (would sometimes shorten the kickboxing to 30 minutes and the yoga was always just 20).  And some days if it wasn't raining and I had time, during Bar Method days I would take a short walk of 15 minutes or so.  Most of the time a walk doesn't register much dread and doens't seem like a "workout" - just getting out and enjoying being outside.  :)  That was about my most perfect rotation I think with some cardio, some toning, and some yoga - and stretching almost every day (with the yoga and BM).  Since then if I just do the alternating cardio and toning days I feel like I'm doing pretty good, or just combine it with AWT.  But back to your barre and cardio...

Maybe you could aim for a basic rotation of:
    cardio, ballet, cardio, callanetics, cardio, BM - then the next week, cardio, callanetics, cardio, BM, cardio, ballet.

And if you had extra time or wanted to....  on days you do cardio, you could do your Callanetics "quick" workouts or the Bar Method or Lotte Berk "bonus workouts" or something short.  ?  Or a segment of ballet (but not the whole thing)....  I don't know... just throwing out ideas.

Andelyn
    LRM
    • Total Posts : 1183
    Re:Developing a Rotation that's Very Barre 2008/09/18 19:28:52 (permalink)
    Andelyn - This sounds like a pretty good rotation idea for all Laura's ballet/barre stuff.  Keeps up with the cardio, too.  Nice work
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1