need help with heavy weight workouts

Author
megw
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 4702
2008/09/17 11:09:02 (permalink)

need help with heavy weight workouts

Collage - I am looking for some heavier weight workouts to rotate with my Jari low weight/ high reps.  I have looked at {slow and heavy}7652^, slo mo, and {30 minutes to fitness}7991^ - I am stuck  2 of these look really tough - maybe no tougher than ripped. I really want to do a low weight/high reps rotated with heavy weights/ low reps but am stuck. Ripped is my own true weight workouts - I have pilates, ball, lotte berke.  I have several Patrick and Mindy dvd's on my wish list to mix things up a little also. Please let me know what you would suggest.

5 Replies Related Threads

w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:need help with heavy weight workouts 2008/09/18 14:02:09 (permalink)
    I am not Collage, megw, but since you said you welcome others' ideas in a different post you made to Collage, here goes! I am really into weight lifting (along with dance, dance cardio, etc, etc.) and have really tried to research various approaches to weight lifting to find that a real variety suits me best!

I would definitely recommend {30 Minutes to Fitness}7991^ if you like a quick pace, even with heavy weights. You can start lightish and increase poundages as you gain strength. I use 15s and 17s for a lot of this workout and while fast, it is really effective. I have gotten more definition and more muscle mass, for sure!

Perhaps before buying {30 Minutes to Fitness}7991^ though, I would recommend that you try {Cathe's Muscle Max}7445^ which is a total body workout. I do recommend the use of a barbell to target the muscles Cathe is working, but even heavy dumbbells could substitute if you don't want to invest in a barbell. Cathe is more "traditional" than Kelly or Amy, in my opinion, in that she teaches at a slower pace using exercises that are tried and true, not really experimental.

Which brings me to... {Amy's Slo-Mo}7889^.

I also have Slo-Mo and I think it is a very challenging dvd in that she uses lots of sets and very heavy poundages. Of course, you could modify as necessary. I really think {Amy's Slo-Mo}7889^ is for someone looking for a bit of a break from traditional lifting (a la Cathe, for instance) because Amy gets creative in ways with some of the exercises she chooses, so I am not sure if it would really be so great if you are just breaking into heavy lifting.

I hope this little breakdown helps.
    megw
    Re:need help with heavy weight workouts 2008/09/19 20:44:46 (permalink)
    W.O.W thank you much for the help. I was thinking of getting 30 minutes to fitness and possibly muscle max. Now with your help I will definitely get them. I want to rotate Jari's low weights high reps with something with heavy weights low reps. Love the idea of sticking with one type for 3/4 weeks and then moving to the other.- so I may also be looking at slo/mo or/and slow and heavy. I appreciate your help!
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:need help with heavy weight workouts 2008/09/19 21:52:21 (permalink)
    You are very welcome megw. I have been very impressed with these dvds including Jari. I love them all for different reasons and they will really chisel you into great shape. 

Happy lifting!!!
    Dawn
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:need help with heavy weight workouts 2008/09/20 09:48:43 (permalink)

I see alot of girls here like Cathes {Slow and Heavy}7652^,this is a great strength training dvd,less endurance then her others.

post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/20 09:49:10
    megw
    Re:need help with heavy weight workouts 2008/09/22 13:09:17 (permalink)
    I want to thank all of you for the info. I have {Muscle Max}7445^ on my wish list and my mother said she would get me {Slow and Heavy}7652^ for Christmas. I will definitely be able to do the rotation I was hoping to do.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1