is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability?

Author
Carey
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/01/31 16:04:41 (permalink)

is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability?

I have been exercising to combination advanced aerobics/toning dvds from collage.  I can manage the advanced weight training sections, but when I come to the advanced cardio sections, I get winded and have to stop to get my heart rate and breathing under control.  I have to admit I don't really understand why it is wrong to do cardio anaerobically or why it is bad to stop in the middle.  I just assume that it is.   I also have to admit that I believe (but now question that belief) that the harder you exercise the MORE weight you will lose FASTER, but that is not happening for me; in fact, after five months of exercising this way, nothing is happening.  I cannot budge the scale!  Should I try doing INTERMEDIATE or even BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE CARDIO that I can at least COMPLETE WITHOUT STOPPING and may be that will get me on the way to losing weight?  

9 Replies Related Threads

w.o.w.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/01/31 16:36:51 (permalink)
    This is such a great question. From what I have read, doing your cardio anaerobically is too stressful for your body, and could cause you to hold on to weight because your body perceives this kind of work as stress. You should be able to speak a short sentence when you are doing cardio- you should not be able to carry on a conversation. If you are gasping for air and this goes on for a stretch of time, you are in the "red zone" and you need to take it down so you are breathing in a controlled manner that oxygenates your blood. It is okay to do short bursts where you are working anaerobically, but not for long stretches. Working super hard does not necessarily cause weight loss- again, it might be causing your body to perceive your exercise as too much stress. One question- how do you feel after you work out? If you are pooped and not exhilarated, that is a great indicator that you are pushing yourself too hard. Your workouts should GIVE you energy. 

This is my synopsis of things I have read. I am not an exercise physiologist, and some of this info may not be perfectly correct. You can research it more on line, and I am sure others will chime in.

Good luck! Take it down a little, and I bet the scale will start moving downward.
    Carey
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/01/31 20:12:55 (permalink)
    Wow!  (no pun intended)  thank you so much for your kind and thorough reply.  You put it all together for me in a way that I couldn't for myself.  I appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.  I will take it down a notch because I want to heed my body by oxygenating my blood and stay out of the red zone.  (See I got it!!)

Thanks again, Carey
    BunnyHop
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/01/31 20:28:53 (permalink)
    Just chiming in with more 'it shouldn't be your goal with every workout' advice. Sure, kicking things up a notch can be a good and useful thing, but as w.o.w. has said, too much intensity isn't desirable.

I get the impression from what I've read that it really isn't necessary to punish your body with a maxed-out effort.
    Lilac
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/01 06:36:10 (permalink)
    Hi Carey, w.o.w. gave you some great advice! I hope you let us know how you are doing with your new intermediate workouts and how they work out for you!
    TFirmlover
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/01 08:24:47 (permalink)
    I have this same problem and I don't quit pushing myself because I "believe" it is good for me the harder I work even if I can't breathe and have to stop!  I am going to try and not put so much effort at the beginning of my toughest cardio work outs because I think that's what I have been doing wrong...I start out too strong and don't have the energy to make it all the way through.  Sometimes I DON'T feel good after a too tough work out and I think I need to tone some of them down also...thanks for posting this quesition, Carey and everyone for their advice!
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/01 10:42:02 (permalink)
    I'm big on modifying. I can do Intermediate/Advanced and sometimes Advanced as long as I don't do the jumps and plyo's. I have never reached the point where I am breathless, and I have always been able to talk. Does that mean I am not working out hard enough??
    Carey
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/01 12:51:34 (permalink)
    [id=tmppasteie1233341488696]Thank you so much for all your responses.  Seems I have to change my way of thinking about how I exercise.   I never thought exercising beyond my capacity was punishing or “stressing” myself.   I guess I thought I just had to buck up and plow through.  Luckily my body tookover for my brain and said “look if you are not smart enough to recognize stress and take it down a notch, I am going to up the ante and pound your heart harder and get you winded to the point where you have to stop to catch your breath.  Having to stop during your exercise is a sign of stress, girl, which will end up thwarting your goals and besides that, no part of us needs to be stressed!”

My head needed to reinterpret what my body was telling it.  Oh how smart our bodies are!  They don’t like stress and seem to have an innate response of preservation to it.  Our bodies seem to interpret exercising beyond our capacity and starving ourselves as stress and go about ingenious ways of pointing this out to us.  Well, thank you all for pointing this out to me!  

Donna D
    • Total Posts : 3289
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/01 13:30:57 (permalink)
    megw

I'm big on modifying. I can do Intermediate/Advanced and sometimes Advanced as long as I don't do the jumps and plyo's. I have never reached the point where I am breathless, and I have always been able to talk. Does that mean I am not working out hard enough?? 

Meg,
    You're workouts are most likely fine- you should be able to talk - but not recite the Constitution - or sing a song! 
    Theresa
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:is doing advanced cardio bad for you if it is beyond your capability? 2009/02/09 07:35:26 (permalink)
    I can totally relate...I was overtraining the last couple of weeks and actually saw body fat start accumulating, even though I was working out hard 6 days a week. By the end of the second week I was EXHAUSTED. took 2 days off and am leaning out a little and ready to get back on track today. I am dropping the 6th day of exercise and if I have to, will drop another, to 4 days a week. 
    The food thing seems to be really the most important-forget about macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat), focus on HIGH nutrient content foods, which are the mirconutrients-vitamins, phytochemicals, minerals, etc,-as those will give the body what it needs, then weight and appetite takes care of itself. I've been getting good results with the book "Eat to Live" by dr. joel fuhrman. Its sold everywhere. 

Overtraining is a big deal, as is all stress on the body. I'm glad I figured that out too! 
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1