Restarting an exercise program

Author
Nilsa
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 2
2009/02/01 13:47:28 (permalink)

Restarting an exercise program

Hi, I am a 49-year-old woman and have not exercised in over five years. I would like to start an exercise regimen by purchasing a few videos. (I currently own a treadmill but do not know how to use it.) What videos would you recommend for someone my age? Thanks so much for your help.

6 Replies Related Threads

Lilac
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/01 14:33:50 (permalink)
    Hi Nilsa! Welcome to the forum! I'm not Collage, but hope you don't mind if I reply. I'll be 47 later this month, so we're close to the same age.
    I think what videos you get depends on your current fitness level. Do you walk or do any other types of activities? Are you overweight? What type of exercise did you used to do and what do you like to do? What are your goals?
    Until you decide what videos you're going to get, how about start with walking on your treadmill for 20-30 mins a day. That would be good for a start and to get yourself into the exercise habit.
    Hope to hear from you again soon!
    Nilsa
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/01 16:08:45 (permalink)
    Hi Lilac, thanks for responding to my message. I walk but not as much. My weight is considered normal; however, I can afford to lose about 5-10 pounds which is one of my goals. I am always tired and do not get enough sleep. I believe that once I start exercising, I will feel like a brand new person. I used to do step aerobics with some floor exercises (but that was years ago). I need to get myself out of this slump. I will start on the treadmill. The only thing is that I do not know when to use the incline. I am not good with this equipment. I did see a treadmill workout video (#7914) which I should buy. I can get that one plus other videos that are highly recommended. Thanks for the advice.
    Lilac
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/02 04:13:34 (permalink)
    Hi again Nilsa! I'm also trying to lose about 10 lbs. Yes, there are some treadmill videos out there. I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure others are.
    Ok, How about buying a Leslie Sansone video? I don't have any of hers, but people always recommend her for beginners.
    Also something from Ellen Barrett. She is usually recommended for people starting out as well.
    Do you have any weights?
    I think if I were you I'd pick out:
    1. A Leslie Sansone walking video. (Just look at them all and 
        pick one that looks good to you.)
    2. An Ellen Barrett video. (I have her {Fat Burning Fusion}7898^,   
        which is good and you might like.)
    3. A Womens Health video. (My favorite is {Train for your Body
        Type}7742^.) This has a little of everything--aerobics and toning
        with weights.
    4. A 10 min solution video. (Good for days you really don't
        feel like working out--there's a good {kickboxing}7486^ one.)
    5. A yoga video. ( I have Sara Ivanhoe's {Yoga Body
        Makeover}5586^ and Self's {Ultimate Destress Yoga}7876^--both great
        and not too long, but there's also one in the newest video
        list that looks good to me and has 15 min segments.)
    6. A weight training video. Maybe something from Self
        or Michelle Dozios.
    Well, those are my suggestions, Nilsa. I'm sure you'll get more from Collage and the other girls!
    I hope you keep writing on the forum--you'll get lots of help and support!
    Turtle
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/03 16:07:52 (permalink)
    Hi Nilsa!  I'm also in my 40's.  I have several Ellen Barrett video's and I would definately recommend them for beginning exercise after a long time away.  She is a great instructor.
    Collage Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1359
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/03 18:00:21 (permalink)
    Nilsa, the suggestions given are very good. The 10 Minute Solution series has a lot of variety. In addition to that series and Leslie Sansone, take a look at the Prevention series. Select a program that will offer a slight challenge in the beginning, but not be overwhelming. It should fit your interest and workout level, so that you'll be motivated to do it. Be sure to include cardio, toning and flexibility into your schedule.
    BunnyHop
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:Restarting an exercise program 2009/02/03 19:54:53 (permalink)
    I'm 47, and in recent months have made a return to working out.

The workout that actually got me up and moving is Jari Love's original Get Ripped . I started out using pairs of three and five pound weights (in various parts of the workout), and have since bought a cardio-type barbell so I can use a tad more weight than that, but on Jari's website, she mentions that absolute beginners can just use their own body weight in the workouts to begin with and work up to using barbells.

After a midwinter exercise hiatus, I picked back up with Get Ripped, using lighter weights, just to get back in the groove, and didn't have any particular difficulty (though I can tell I'd taken a break, my pushups aren't as good as they were, sigh).

Aside from that, one thing I've found very helpful is working on flexibility, and making sure to warm up and cool down thoroughly when I work out. My body clearly doesn't like it when I just jump into a workout and start something intense. Building up gradually, then easing off gradually, seems to be the way to go for me.

Lately, I've been using segments from Tamilee Webb's Total Stretch for Beginners before I workout, just to limber up. 

I also like Burr Leonard's 'Bar Method' workouts, they're intense but doable. There are a lot of barre type workouts (similar to Bar Method) available, so if one instructor doesn't float your boat, try another. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's important to figure out which styles of working out work for you. I dislike jumping around, and apparently I have NO talent for workouts on a step, so now that I've figured that out, it's easier to find workouts that I'll actually do.

HTH!
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1