Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight??

Author
ppprincess
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/02/04 11:56:43 (permalink)

Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight??

I love to lift weights along with cardio.  I especially love Jeri Love's videos.  If I watch what I eat and still lift weights, will I lose weight??

6 Replies Related Threads

Dawn
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/04 12:13:55 (permalink)
    ppprincess

I love to lift weights along with cardio.  I especially love Jeri Love's videos.  If I watch what I eat and still lift weights, will I lose weight??

Hmmm...I'm guessing it may depend on how active you are. My mother had lost 20 pounds by just watching her diet and running after us kids and doing house chores,she was also a stay home mom. She didnt lift weights but as we get older we lose muscle so it is important to lift weights!! As for me, I was in 10th grade at the time and when I threw out the high fat junk food and regular soda I seen a difference in my shape. I never weighed myself in high school but I did remember I went down a pants size. I was active in school also. Cardio is important for heart health and for me mentally. I would still recommand at least 3-4 days of week of cardio for 30 minutes like biking, walking,dvds.

BunnyHop
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/04 12:59:30 (permalink)
    Yes! Building muscle is a good thing, in terms of calorie-burning.
    Bentoist
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/04 13:38:44 (permalink)
    I didn't lose weight with exercise alone. It was only after cutting out junk and changing other aspects of my diet that I lost weight.  I then added weight training because I realized I may have lost muscle. So lifting weights AND changing your diet should make you lose weight, while keeping muscle.
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/04 14:08:32 (permalink)
    I find circuit type workouts ( alternating cardio and weights) is most effective in burning fat and calories. I think cardio with weights will definately give you faster results. (even doing all cardio, then all weights or vice versa, instead of circuit helps)

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    DonnysGirl
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/04 14:21:20 (permalink)
    Hi There

I've been working out a long time (around 25 year).  When you work out with weights you burn calories because your body has to work hard to maintain the muscle mass.  You need a combination of both cardio workouts and weight workouts though.  Try working out with weights about 3x a week and make sure you get your favorite cardio workouts in as well.  I guarantee you'll see a difference in your body.  Good luck!

Sharon
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Does Weight Training Help You Lose Weight?? 2009/02/05 13:05:26 (permalink)
    I agree with DonnysGirl. It is a combination of strength training and cardio. It is also diet as others said. For me, when I really started lifting weights more seriously (several times a week for long sessions) I did see considerable leaning out. I am still working on that- I don't feel I have pounds to lose, but I want more and more definition. It is coming! I keep using weights, do lots of cardio, and am trying to keep my diet very clean. I also have incorporated kbs here and there when I can. Little by little, I am seeing changes. It is slow progress and the results are subtle. But I feel that if I keep this up, I will achieve my goals.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1