kettlebell workouts

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Denise
Platinum member (300-499 posts)
  • Total Posts : 328
2009/02/10 16:12:56 (permalink)

kettlebell workouts

I was wondering about kettlebells. Alot of people seem to enjoy them. I've watched some of the clips and my concern is this---if you have a very stiff and inflexible lower back can you still do some of the workouts? My lower back has always been stiff and no matter what I've done, it really doesn't help. Would kettlebells be something I could try? I do lift weights and am pretty strong and have a high aerobic capacity. I would consider myself advanced. I do have to modify and/or lower the weight for some excercises because of my lower back (dead lifts for example).  I've been to the doctor and there is nothing physically wrong with my back other than being stiff regardless of stretching, working out etc.

Denise

"Time is the moving image of eternity"
Plato

33 Replies Related Threads

Dulcy
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2206
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/10 17:22:05 (permalink)
    Well,i'm in my 50's and have osteoarthritis  and am stiff a lot too.I find doing the  faster cardio style kettlebell workouts  with LIGHTER  kettlebell weights  and compound moves {moving upper and lower body at the same time] has helped me.A lot of  kettlebell dvds are  paced slower and don't have compound moves-they are using heavier weights and focusing more on building strength.I found the compound moves really has helped my flexability.Some kettlebell dvds that are more cardio orientated are 10 Min sol'n {ultimate fat burning kettlebells}5596^ [for me this has been a great dvd] and Kettleworx.
    Bopper
    • Total Posts : 2311
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/10 18:23:48 (permalink)
    Denise

I was wondering about kettlebells. Alot of people seem to enjoy them. I've watched some of the clips and my concern is this---if you have a very stiff and inflexible lower back can you still do some of the workouts? My lower back has always been stiff and no matter what I've done, it really doesn't help. Would kettlebells be something I could try? I do lift weights and am pretty strong and have a high aerobic capacity. I would consider myself advanced. I do have to modify and/or lower the weight for some excercises because of my lower back (dead lifts for example).  I've been to the doctor and there is nothing physically wrong with my back other than being stiff regardless of stretching, working out etc.

Hi Denise,

I am in my eary 50's and I have a bad lower back and bad neck.  I do kettlebells and like it.  I feel in control of my movements and don't use a really heavy bell.  I use 10 lb bell and use the Kettlebell Way Vol 1 with Beth Chamberlain and I really like it. 

My back is so stiff in the morning I have to use a microwave pack and place it in the waistband of my pj's just so I can get moving.  I do this every morning and in an hour I can exercise.  I consider myself intermediate.  If you decide to do kettlebell training make sure you buy a certified kettlebell dvd to get proper form.  There are a lot of knock off kettlebell dvd's that aren't truly kettlebell.

Bopper
    Denise
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/10 18:56:53 (permalink)
    Bopper, thanks for your input. I'm in my 50's also. I think some of the moves that look kind of scary are the cardio bases ones.  I'll check into kettlebell way and I was looking at the gin miller {one}5588^ too. Thanks so much!

Denise

Plato

Denise
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 14:37:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Dulcy I'll look into the 10 min workout. I think I'll also look for true informational/how to dvd's. Thanks ladies I think my wish list just go longer!

Bopper, does your lower back ache all day? Mine does. It never goes away, I've done and do all the lower back excercises and stretches but my muscles just seen frozen in place. Dulcy, how about you? I'm almost 52  and I'm wondering if this a progressive thing?

Denise

Plato

BunnyHop
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 16:24:13 (permalink)
    I'm 46, and have found that swings are pretty much it, for me, for now.

I'm just not fit enough to handle the kettlebell workouts in their entirety. Also, I just can't keep up with the tempo the instructors set.

I like the quality of Lisa Shaffer's first instructional dvd, it's got great visuals, so the details of what to do and how are quite clear.
    JW
    • Total Posts : 442
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 16:40:42 (permalink)
    Hi Denise,
    I am 50 and I started kettlebell training last September.  I have a stiff lower back many days and sometimes it seems to be muscles and other times it seems more skeletal (arthritis).  I can say kettlebell training has not made it worse and I feel it has helped.  When I first started, I often felt like I needed to warm up with something else first and still do feel that way sometimes so I listen to my back.  I have found that it is better for me if I do two handed swings and skip the 1 handed swings.  In January, I did the 200 swings per day challenge and I feel my lower back is getting stronger. 

Denise, if your back is hurting all day every day, I would suggest you see another doctor for a second opinion.  Also, look at your bedding.  Does it provide enough support?  Does advil help?  What tests did your doctor use to determine it was muscle pain?  You said that the doctor said there is nothing wrong with your back, but you are in constant pain.  I would NOT accept that diagnosis.  May I suggest you be persistant and go get a second opinion.

Having said all that, I really like kettlebell training and you can modify it the same way as you would weights.  If you decide to try kettlebells, I would start light in weight.  HTH.

Janice
    post edited by JW - 2009/02/11 16:41:30
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 16:51:26 (permalink)
    Hi-am in mid 50's had arthritis in my lower spine since my 20's from backsurgery.now have arthritis in my hands,neck also.My mom developed the same arthritis so i think mine progressed due to genes.I found keeping flexible is possible with good stretching style yoga tapes or regular stretching tapes eg "healing yoga for aches and pains "is for people rehabing from injuries and arthritis.they use a chair and many modified positions as if you are in pain you will not have full range of motion."tamillee's {total stretch}9445^ "tape is a fabulous all around tape sold by Collage.The healing yoga is more for those suffering chronic pain and it's the one i go to when I'm in pain.PM  me if you want more info.I am now recuperating from rotator cuff damage to both shoulders right now from doing pushups off a step bench.The 10 min sol has lots of range of motion and I use very lite weights and it helps keep my shoulder from stiffening up or freezing which happened to me 10 years ago after I fell and broke my collarbone and a vertebrae [osteoporosis]and while recuperating no-one told me to move it and because it hurt and was in a sling I didn't move it and developed a fozen shoulder which took 2 years to get back to normal.Find a good stretch tape that works the areas you're concerned about and do it daily.Also incorporating fish[esp wild salmon] or fish oil  capsules into your diet and ,ginger,tumeric  which are all natural anti-inflammatories and will help.
    Denise
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 16:52:41 (permalink)
    My doctor took xrays and there were no slipped/herniated disks,the muscles seem to be in constant spasm. I probably should get a 2nd opinion. I appreciate all the input, I think I'll start with lighter bells and stay with 2 handed swings.  JW, my bed is kind of old and soft but I can't affored a new one, I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood to put under the mattress to stiffen it up. I do take ibupfrofen but it gives some relief but not much. I hadn't thought that the old mattress could be a factor but now that you mention it, it is really old and lumpy and soft.  I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

Denise

Plato

Denise
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 16:55:42 (permalink)
    Tamilees {total stretch}9445^ and the healing yoga are doable? I have tried a couple of my sister's yoga dvd's and found that since I can't really bend at the waist, I couldn't do most of the moves, I'll check the clips on the healing yoga and Tamilee.

Denise

Plato

Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:01:36 (permalink)
    Forgot to mention bromolain tablets or fresh pineapple which also is an anti-inflammatory.For years I complained of a sore back and was told it was muscles-the latest xrays show osteoarthritis and bony spurs ,disc degeneration,a cracked vertebrae from a fall,and spinal stenosis.Muscles-yeah-right!then they offered me pain pills so I started my yoga tape and diet changes and rarely need pain meds .Also doing exercises to strengthen your upper and mid and lower back really helps.A physio can help you there.make sure you check with doctors first-they didn't help me much but your case may be different from mine.
    JW
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:05:00 (permalink)
    Hi Denise,
    I do have plywood under my mattress . . .

Janice
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:11:50 (permalink)
    When I injure myself[about once a year i do a wrong move]and I also cannot bend or twist.I go to bed on a heating pad. and alternate with a frozen gelpac , i take over the counter anti-inflammatories and the above natural tabs for a day or so.then I get up and slowly stretch[still in pain mind you]-if you don't  start stretching. the muscle spasms can become permanent.hot baths.stretching gently in a hot shower-in between these episodes i am 100% pain free and found if i don't stretch then the pain becomes chronic.stretching and strengthening the back has helped turn a 20 year chronic  back pain to a once a year inconvenience for me.my back feels better now at mid 50 than when younger.
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:14:40 (permalink)
    tried the plywood too-unfortunately didn't help me but you need to try everything and not give till you find what works for you.once you find it do it ,even when you feel ok not just in accute episodes.
    JW
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:15:52 (permalink)
    fresh pineapple is an antiimflammatory

Dulcy,
    Very interesting.  I did not know this.  How much do you need for benefits?

Janice
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:21:43 (permalink)
    It's healing yoga for aches and pains NOT the healing yoga for common conditions [ both done by same people ]make sure you check the right one..the common conditions  is not  suitable if you're in pain or very stiff.
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:31:26 (permalink)
    I do some stretching daily[never did when I was younger] and do  specific upper,mid and lower back exercises 3 times a week even if I feel good.I will never have a "normal" back [on xrays] but I want a normal life  so it's worth doing everyday.Whether the muscles are in spasm due to tension or bad back mechanics or accute or chronic injury[which I have] keeping those musles strong AND stretched out really helps.If you wait till you're painfree [my mistake when younger] and then stretch and exercise you run the risk of the muscles seizing up continually leading to chronic pain which is what happened to me.when you start slowly and carefully stretching at first,there will be pain-don't let it scare you-just realize that shows you they need help to relaz.
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:39:23 (permalink)
    If the pain scares you too much see a physio for a little bit then continue on your ownlater.I have noticed that  the people with back pain can't usually get a 100%  forever cure.you go into a preventive mode year round and think of the  daily stretching and back exercises as a necessary  thing to enable you to have a normal life.
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 17:57:09 (permalink)
    you can't overdose on pineapple as long as you're not a diabetic[suger].you could have some am and pm but the wild salmon fish capsules really help.when in accute pain I take 6 of these a day plus the other things mentioned.when not in pain I'll take 1-2 fish oil capsules daily.make sure you have no bleeding disorders as fish oil will thin out your blood a bit- not a bad thing for healthy people,reduces heart attack risk also.
    Dulcy
    Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/11 18:53:42 (permalink)
    this has been what helped me and is safe for a healthy person with a bad back or stiffness,if you have diabetes or rhematoid arthritis etc or  any other chronic serious health condition  you should see a naturopath[they know all the natural alternatives and how they can  impact if you have multiple health problems]. that can devise a safe plan for you...good luck!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1