kettlebell workouts

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Bopper
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 2311
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/12 17:32:03 (permalink)
Denise

Thanks Dulcy I'll look into the 10 min workout. I think I'll also look for true informational/how to dvd's. Thanks ladies I think my wish list just go longer!

Bopper, does your lower back ache all day? Mine does. It never goes away, I've done and do all the lower back excercises and stretches but my muscles just seen frozen in place. Dulcy, how about you? I'm almost 52 and I'm wondering if this a progressive thing?

Hi Denise,

I am always aware of my lower back and I would have to say there is always discomfort in that area. I bring a small pillow everywhere I go, car, dentist, friends homes. I always need that fill in behind me. I also have started doing yoga to stretch and that helps somewhat. Mornings and long car rides are worst for me. The microwave heat pack helps loosen me up in the morning. There was a time I couldn't even bend over to brush my teeth until I had the heat on my back. Still very stiff in the am but gets better throughout the day. Bleachers kill me at sporting events.

Sorry to get off so on this topic. I like my kettlebell routine. If you consider this get a good instructional dvd. I have heard Gin Millers isn't good instruction and she is not a certified Russian Kettlebell instructor so I would stay away from that until you get down the moves by someone who really knows her/his stuff.
Bopper
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/12 18:02:34 (permalink)
Denise

My doctor took xrays and there were no slipped/herniated disks,the muscles seem to be in constant spasm. I probably should get a 2nd opinion. I appreciate all the input, I think I'll start with lighter bells and stay with 2 handed swings.  JW, my bed is kind of old and soft but I can't affored a new one, I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood to put under the mattress to stiffen it up. I do take ibupfrofen but it gives some relief but not much. I hadn't thought that the old mattress could be a factor but now that you mention it, it is really old and lumpy and soft.  I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

HI Denise,

Me again. I was thinking I use a memory foam mattress topper on top of my mattress and it cushions the pressure points so I feel very comfortable in bed.  Maybe something like that would help..  I also take fish oil capsules but stretching is a must, must, must for me.  I also use an inversion table I bought from HSN called the Teeter Inversion Table and that lengthens and stretches the spine creating more space between the discs so you don't hold your spine in decompression.  Tight ligaments and muscles will hold your back in decompression so you need to always stretch your muscles daily.  I also use a back stretching device I got from QVC that you lie on for 5 minutes 3x a day and that helps too.  You can actually feel your back pop into place. 

Just  a thought for you.  Good Luck

Bopper
megw
  • Total Posts : 4702
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/14 16:44:38 (permalink)
If you are not sure you can do Kettlebells it might be a good idea to get something here at collage because than you could return it if you have problems. Some of them are not cheap.
Donna D
  • Total Posts : 3289
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/14 18:08:57 (permalink)
Another over 50 exerciser adding her 2 cents - I am enjoying the kettlebell workouts, but I have to modify certain moves and some moves I just can't keep up - but that's OK.

I also make sure I'm warmed up - I follow my aerobic activity with the kettlebells.  I'm not sure if the warmups that come with the workouts are sufficient - so I don't want to take any chances.

I do have to add that the warmup for Kettlework is quite good - to the point that you are warming up your wrists.
Donna D.
megw
  • Total Posts : 4702
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/15 11:03:35 (permalink)
I emailed Beth Chamberlain and am copying it here. Although she recommends kettlebells I still think you should check with a doctor first.

Hi:

So glad to hear from you and that you are enjoying our workouts and have become part of the kettlebell training community.  It is growing thanks to truly committed people like Anthony and , equally important, the people at collage video who offer a great list of products and a forum for avid athletes and fitness devotees to exchange information.  I consider it a badge of honor to be so well regarded by that group of people.

It is interesting that you speak about your low back and arthritis having worried you about starting this exercise.  When I took  certification course with Anthony, one of the most important things that was stressed was how powerful a tool kettlebell training can be for rehabilitating and strengthening a week, injured or arthritic spine.  My husband is a chiropractor and he and many of his enlightened colleagues use kettlebell exercises to rehab their patients.  So you made the right choice and are on the right track.

One piece of advice I would like to pass on is that you regularly refer back to the tutorial to perfect your technique.   Concentrate on the Swing.  It is absolutely essential and the most important exercise to master, both for efficiently performing these exercises and for healing and strengthening your low back.  And while it seems very straightforward it is also very easy to make subtle mistakes that change everything.  One sign to watch out for is lower back soreness or arm and shoulder fatigue during or after the swing.  Your back should never hurt from this movement and your arms and shoulders should actually not work very much.  It all comes from the pelvis and core.

So good luck with this; thanks for the kind words and pass on my best wishes to the Collage video crowd.  Let me know how things are going.

All the Best,

Beth

I thought it was interesting, and may be helpful. But remember to check with your own doctor or a physical therapy. or chiropractor. I was very nervous when I previewed the DVD but decided since I had it I should try it.  I really love kettlebells now. I have a #10 and if anything will use the #4 with the Kettlenetics kit. I can't take chances with my back and don't lift very heavy regular weights very heavy usually #2 and #5 with Jari. Sometimes #8 's with other workouts.    Best of luck and take care!!!!
Jerz
  • Total Posts : 3001
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 09:57:04 (permalink)
Megw - Thanks for sharing that response from Beth Chamberlain.  KBW1 was my first KB workout.  I've used it for nearly a year now, and still love it.

Sorry I'm late to this thread.  I'm 46 years old, and feel my lower back pain has really subsided since starting KBs.  I'm really addicted to this exercise!
Bopper
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 11:10:35 (permalink)
I really like this dvd too.  I did it this morning with a 15 and a 10 and I still have to stop during some of the movements because my HR monitor is telling me to slow down.  I am new to this kettllebell training but not  new to exercise and this kicks my butte, but in a good way.  My abs feel so much  stronger.  I will keep doing this dvd and switching off between bells and I think my endurance will come.  I also have a bad back, and I mean really bad, I have to use a heat pack every morning to warm up the muscles in order to exercise so I know what you mean.  But after I have moved around a bit I can go on with the day, just being careful how I move in daily life tasks as well.

Take care and enjoy the day,

Bopper
Maureen K
  • Total Posts : 640
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 12:43:04 (permalink)
BunnyHop

I'm 46, and have found that swings are pretty much it, for me, for now.

I'm just not fit enough to handle the kettlebell workouts in their entirety. Also, I just can't keep up with the tempo the instructors set.

I like the quality of Lisa Shaffer's first instructional dvd, it's got great visuals, so the details of what to do and how are quite clear.

BunnyHop...if you're looking for a slower paced kb dvd, try the Iron Core dvds. I really like the pace on these...both in terms of speed and how the circuits are broken down.
Denise
Platinum member (300-499 posts)
  • Total Posts : 328
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 12:53:54 (permalink)
Thanks to all of you, I'll look into Beth Chamberlain.  If proper form on the swing is a way (even with very light kettlebell) I think it's a must try. {kettleworx}9334^ is another I'm looking at. As for {gin's}5588^ maybe I'll stay away from that one. I do think that a good supportive mattress is needed. Mine is very old, but alas they are so expensive. I really appreciate all the input and I will keep you ladies posted on my progress. Thanks to all of you for your support. I don't feel like it's just me having this problem.

Denise

"Time is the moving image of eternity"
Plato

Denise
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 13:12:44 (permalink)
Bopper,
Is the device you're talking about the one where you lay on your back with your legs at a 45 degree angle and it kind of moves your lower back up and down and back and forth? I saw that and was wondering about it. I think I'll look into the memory foam mattress cover also. It's got to be cheaper than a new mattress. I have a doc appt next month so I'll have more xrays done. I went online and checked the kettlebell way and that looks like one I could start with.  And the Iron Works is a slower pace? I think I definately have to try kettlebells. I love weight training but I can't do alot of excercises because of my back.
I can't even sit on bleachers, even using one of padded bleacher chair things. You should see me try and get out of some of the smaller, lower cars!

Denise

Plato

Denise
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 13:15:07 (permalink)
megw
Thanks for the info, I looked online at the kettlebell way and it does stress the tutorial.

Denise

Plato

Denise
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 13:17:17 (permalink)
maureen k
I'll look into Iron Core too.  I'm saving my money so I can get started. As I mentioned before, I'm seeing my Doc next month so I can be sure not to do more damage.

Denise

Plato

JW
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 13:48:52 (permalink)
Hi Denise -
I sent you a PM the other day.  Just checking to see if you received it.

Janice
Denise
Re:kettlebell workouts 2009/02/16 14:17:42 (permalink)
Yes thank you, and dulcy too. I usually go onto the forum at work so I can't check all the time! I'm supposed to be working! Oh well

Denise

Plato

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1