Shoulders & forearms

Author
Vantreesta
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 8768
2009/02/20 18:18:47 (permalink)

Shoulders & forearms

Relative to the rest of my muscles, my shoulders and forearms are fairly weak.  I could lift heavier, especially for lower body, if they were stronger, but my forearms burn from the weight.  I know lots of shoulder exercises and I know wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are good for the forearms.  What would you recommend as the most effective exercises and/or videos to strengthen these muscle groups?  Thank you!

8 Replies Related Threads

katie
    • Total Posts : 1955
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 00:06:08 (permalink)
    hi vantreesta. two thoughts for you...gilad's shoulder's and arms is a pretty straight forward workout and fast too.  you can modify the weights as you gain strength.  for the forearms in particular, what has helped me the most is to get a ball(the size of a tennis ball)that is easier to squeeze than a tennis ball.  My husband had shoulder surgery and they gave him one of these balls to keep his grip and I took it.  anyhow, it's right by the computer and whenever I'm waiting for something I squeeze the ball tightly and release maybe ten times each hand.   You can really feel it in the forearms(not so much anywhere else)-great isometric w/o stress on the wrists.

~A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.~
    HelloBetty
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 11:12:57 (permalink)
    I really like Cathe's Gym Style {back, shoulders and bicep}7495^.  It's a great overall workout for your shoulders and you'll get forearm work with the bicep work.  Hammer curls are good for the forearms too.
    post edited by HelloBetty - 2009/02/21 11:13:25

Jane  

Jerz
    • Total Posts : 3001
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 11:31:15 (permalink)
    I second hellobetty's recommendation of Cathe's Gym Style {back, shoulders and biceps}7495^.  I really enjoy that workout.  I have a similar weakness in my forearms.
    mixxie
    • Total Posts : 2537
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 11:47:15 (permalink)
    Using kettlebells has strengthened and toned my arms and shoulders and back (and that so-hard-to-tone area in the upper front of the torso!) faster and more "evenly" than months and months of increasingly heavier dumbbell work.  I stated out with a 10# kettlebell and the Iron Core Volume 1 dvd, then went to Kettlebell Way to a Perfect Body,(then several other excellent traditional kb dvd's), while increasing my kb weight,  and then got  {Kettleworx}9334^, sold here at Collage. Kettleworx has also increased my cardio and stamina endurance ALOT, and very quickly- I highly recommend it!     I think even if you just got a kettlebell and did kettlebell swings, you would see excellent results in your arm & shoulder strength (not to mention your core and legs!).......          mixxie
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 11:54:14 (permalink)
    I agree with Mixxie, for I too am noticing results with KBs! My shoulders, arms and forearms all are more defined (I have also been doing a lot of {Sq Stronger}5600^ arms) but I think my forearms and the cuts in my upper arms are getting more carved out because of KBs too. I also LOVE the cardio element with KBs! 
    Bopper
    • Total Posts : 2311
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 12:18:57 (permalink)
    w.o.w.

I agree with Mixxie, for I too am noticing results with KBs! My shoulders, arms and forearms all are more defined (I have also been doing a lot of {Sq Stronger}5600^ arms) but I think my forearms and the cuts in my upper arms are getting more carved out because of KBs too. I also LOVE the cardio element with KBs! 

I agree with you on the k bells.  Also thanks for the info on the Squeeze Stronger ab section.  I will also look back on the Custom Squeeze section for the flatter abs part.

Bopper
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/21 19:58:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.  I've been wanting to try kettlebells, and you keep giving me more and more incentive to shell out the money! :)  Katie, thanks for reminding me about squeezing the ball.  I used to do that and I have forearm grips but never think to use them.  I will put my TaeBo balls by the computer like you suggested.  My left forearm has gotten somewhat stronger from walking two big dogs who like to pull!  (We keep saying we need to get them a cart to pull around the neighborhood! :) )
    rachelb
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Shoulders & forearms 2009/02/25 09:08:44 (permalink)
    Another shout out for Cathe's {back,shoulders, biceps}7495^.  I did it last night.  It has at least 2 exercises targeting the forearms.   It is very thorough with shoulders also.  It is a great workout.  I am feeling it today, in a good way.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1