Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers?

Author
Bentoist
Platinum member (300-499 posts)
  • Total Posts : 300
2009/02/25 14:20:38 (permalink)

Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers?

What's the purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks and mountain climbers?  Cindy does this in her Results {10 Days to a Better Body}5591^ workout.  Is this to make the exercise more intense or is there another benefit? I can do them, but it doesn't feel very comfortable and it makes my hands hurt.

12 Replies Related Threads

Donna D
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 3289
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 14:58:40 (permalink)
    Bentoist

What's the purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks and mountain climbers?  Cindy does this in her Results {10 Days to a Better Body}5591^ workout.  Is this to make the exercise more intense or is there another benefit? I can do them, but it doesn't feel very comfortable and it makes my hands hurt.

When I was going to physical therapy for carpal tunnel and some wrist issues  - they had me grasp the weight, versus putting pressure on the wrists.  I've heard others say the same thing - that it hurts.  I've been trying it both ways.
    mixxie
    • Total Posts : 2537
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 15:43:47 (permalink)
    I've also heard instructors say to use weights in the "push-up" position if you have weak wrists. It does keep the wrists from bending at a 90 degree angle- maybe that is not good?   Others have said to do it to get more range of motion in a push-up.  In Lauren Brook's Kettlebell dvd, she has the hands in a "tight-fist" position during push-ups, which is the same position as grasping weights, only without the weights. She doesn't say why she does this, but I find I like doing them that way.                   mixxie
    Bad
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 17:29:26 (permalink)
    I always have to keep my hands in a "tight fist" position or "grasp" handweights to modify push ups, planks, etc.  I also "push" off  the wall for push ups. For me, it can sometimes be difficult or frustrating to modify this way. Even the modifications bother me after a while .  Think of Jari's w/o, the one with 70 or so pushups!!!  I had to trade my beloved {Yogini}7995^ away.  I do what I can, but is not easy!!
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 17:43:38 (permalink)
    I always thought it was because of not straining your wrists, but I do them on the floor without holding onto weights because it is more comfortable for me that way.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    Collage Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1359
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 19:37:06 (permalink)
    The most common reason is to prevent strain to your wrists. By grasping onto the dumbbell handle or making a fist, you are able to keep your wrist straight. Some people prefer to use the small weighted balls. By performing the exercise with a prop, you able to avoid putting pressure on your wrists, which is painful for some. In some advanced workouts, they will have you use a dumbbell so that you can intensify the move by raising one hand (with the weight) and rotate that arm up toward the ceiling.
    Bentoist
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 19:58:31 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone and Collage. I'd forgotten that this is suggested for those with wrist issues.  I do grasp the weight, but it doesn't feel comfortable, so I do them on the floor.
    Donna D
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 20:02:41 (permalink)
    Bentoist

Thanks, everyone and Collage. I'd forgotten that this is suggested for those with wrist issues.  I do grasp the weight, but it doesn't feel comfortable, so I do them on the floor. 

I think I'm going to try the small weighted balls next time. 
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 20:49:02 (permalink)
    I've been doing pushups on my yoga blocks.  I have the pushup grip thingies, but they're narrow and hurt my hands.  The blocks feel better for my puny wrists. :)
    Donna D
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/25 21:15:21 (permalink)
    Vantreesta

I've been doing pushups on my yoga blocks.  I have the pushup grip thingies, but they're narrow and hurt my hands.  The blocks feel better for my puny wrists. :)

That's a good idea!  Cute picture of your 4 legged children!
    post edited by Donna D - 2009/02/27 17:16:46
    Gerry
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/27 10:30:54 (permalink)
    I was using weights for 10 Days to a Better Body too.  And yes, it wasn't comfortable at all.  Then it dawned on me that it was because the weight was too light and my hand couldn't fit under the weight without being crushed.  As soon as I started to use a heavier weight (with more room underneath the handle), it became easier to do the exercises this way.
    Vantreesta
    • Total Posts : 8768
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/27 16:37:37 (permalink)
    Donna D

Vantreesta

That's a good idea!  Cute picture of your legged children!

Thank you, Donna D!  I have a feeling they know they're cute, too! :)
    Donna D
    Re:Purpose of hands on weights for plank jacks, mountain climbers? 2009/02/27 17:16:20 (permalink)
    Vantreesta

Donna D

Vantreesta

That's a good idea!  Cute picture of your legged children!

Thank you, Donna D!  I have a feeling they know they're cute, too! :)

They look rather "angelic"!
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1