Overtraining?

Author
Teri
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 7
2009/03/14 12:08:42 (permalink)

Overtraining?

Hello,

Let me start off by saying hello and thank you for this wonderful site.  I am addicted!!  Okay, now for my question.  I've been working out since the beginning of January using only DVD's.  I noticed that when walking outside my legs felt heavy, like two blocks of concrete.  I didn't understand it.  I would think that after never working out and now working out 4 times a week I would feel strong and light as a feather.  So, I found something on the internet that suggested this is a symptom of overtraining.  I don't understand though.  I work out four times a week.  Two days are pure aerobics - mostly Gilad's {Elite Forces}7794^ and I don't do the Toning Section of it.  Then the other days are Circuit Training - usually Jillian Michaels {30 Day Shred}7963^.  If my legs are heavy because of the aerobics portion there's really nothing I can do because all of the aerobics DVD's I own incorporate lots of squats and lunges as part of the workout.  And I don't think I should be exercising less than 4 days a week - or doing less than two days per week of cardio.  Will I just pass through this phase?  I'm afraid if I lessen the amount I'm working out I'll gain weight (it took me two months to lose 7 pounds!!!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

10 Replies Related Threads

diggerholliday
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/14 21:09:17 (permalink)
    It could just be your body is not used to this.  I know I can run 10 even 9 minute miles on my treadmill but outside is a whole other matter.  My body just gets used to this and it takes a few out door runs to adjust.

So maybe you just need to vary your workouts and include more outdoor walking.  It's difficult changing your routine but it's good for you.
    fitnessbuff
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/14 21:40:34 (permalink)
    It doesn't sound like you are really exercising that much. Maybe you want to reduce the amount of squats and lunges though. It might be that you are overfatiguing your legs or certain muscles in your legs with too many of those. In other words, it's not that you're exercising too much overall, but you're just doing too much of the same thing.
    Carol S.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2743
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/14 21:43:56 (permalink)
    Do you live in a cold climate?  The colder outside temperature could be a reason why your legs feel so heavy.
    Nia
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 09:57:26 (permalink)
    fitnessbuff

It doesn't sound like you are really exercising that much. Maybe you want to reduce the amount of squats and lunges though. It might be that you are overfatiguing your legs or certain muscles in your legs with too many of those. In other words, it's not that you're exercising too much overall, but you're just doing too much of the same thing.

I was thinking along similar lines of fitnessbuff's reply - perhaps you could introduce some variety - maybe try pilates or balace work to strengthen different muscles?
    Carol S.
    • Total Posts : 2743
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 10:46:50 (permalink)
    Teri-

How long as this been going on--just since you started working out in January?

Carol
    Teri
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 11:09:43 (permalink)
    Yes.  It started since I've started working out.  Also, when I mentioned that my legs felt heavy outside, I'm not running outside.  Just the basic walking I do on a daily basis.
    flower child
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 11:47:43 (permalink)
    You may want to add some yoga to stretch out your muscles, especially your hamstrings and calves. Some exercises, like weight lifting, will shorten muscles because of the type of movement involved. Yoga will help keep them flexible and stretched.

Anyway, that's what I found helped me a lot.
    Teri
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 13:30:40 (permalink)
    I do have one Yoga dvd and also Cathe's {Stretch Max}7455^.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice.
    AlmondJoy
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/15 14:54:49 (permalink)
    what are you doing the days you don't  exercise? A rest day does not necessarly means do nothing doing nothing does not really helps especially when you have worked hard the next day. You don't want to let your body go cold turkey you want to keep it moving with something low impact.  I agree that you should be doing some yoga or stretching and the rest days is a good time to do that too because you are resting from the heavy work and giving your body a gentle workout to relax the worked and tired muscles.

"Sometimes we as parents forget that the rules apply to us too, not just our children."

"Sometimes we think we really understand men. Then we regain consciousness" Sela Ward
    Collage Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1359
    Re:Overtraining? 2009/03/18 12:34:38 (permalink)
    The internet is a good tool for getting information, but unfortunately the information is not always absolute. Your sensation of 'heavy' legs could be from something as simple as not getting enough variety in your daily workouts to any number of things. In which case your muscles are just responding to the different type of movement you are performing. You are correct in thinking that you need at least 4 workouts a week. To get quick results, a basic weight loss schedule should  have a minimum of 4-5 days of cardio, consisting of 30-40 min. each time, 2-3 weight training sessions, some flexibility training, a day of rest and clean eating.
    As for the 'any number of other things', you will want to contact either your doctor or a personal trainer to help you pinpoint the cause. You don't want to ignore something that could lead to a long term injury or be the warning sign of a more serious health condition.
    post edited by Collage Moderator - 2009/03/18 12:39:53
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1