Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells?

Author
NewMe2Be
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/09/25 13:09:38 (permalink)

Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells?

I am fairly new to working out with weights and have started using the Firm dvds that come with their dumbbells.  I made each one weigh 7 lbs. (the heaviest I can get them to be), and it feels easy after working with the CDs for a few weeks.  So I'm wondering if now I need to get 8-lb, then 10-lb, etc., etc. to continue to get benefits of shaping.  If I keep using the same weight, won't my muscles adjust and not improve the toning? 
I'm 46, have lost 41 lbs. and have another 20+ pounds to go.  I really want muscle definition just to be stronger and more shapely, but I don't want 5 sets of dumbbells laying around the house if I can continue to make muscle-shaping progress using the same weights. 
Thank you for your help.

This is the journey of a lifetime, and it's taken one step at a time.

8 Replies Related Threads

w.o.w.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/25 13:15:43 (permalink)
    Yes, in order to keep challenging your muscles, you should up your weights. If the current weight feels easy, that is a good indicator that it is time to increase your weight loads! Happy lifting!! Sounds like you are making progress!

I have many sets of dumbbells and find that for high rep workouts like Jari, I do use some of the lighter weights. For workouts (Cathe, Kelly, Amy) I use my heavier weights and my barbell. I think if you start alternating lighter/high rep workouts, with heavier slower ones, you will find that you want to have a variety of weights ti use anyway. You might want to start alternating workout types as you continue to advance, and you WILL see major results with increasing muscle mass and definition from alternating lifting styles. HTH!

NewMe2Be

I am fairly new to working out with weights and have started using the Firm dvds that come with their dumbbells.  I made each one weigh 7 lbs. (the heaviest I can get them to be), and it feels easy after working with the CDs for a few weeks.  So I'm wondering if now I need to get 8-lb, then 10-lb, etc., etc. to continue to get benefits of shaping.  If I keep using the same weight, won't my muscles adjust and not improve the toning? 
    I'm 46, have lost 41 lbs. and have another 20+ pounds to go.  I really want muscle definition just to be stronger and more shapely, but I don't want 5 sets of dumbbells laying around the house if I can continue to make muscle-shaping progress using the same weights. 
    Thank you for your help.
    post edited by w.o.w. - 2008/09/25 13:16:51
    gemini1412
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 455
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/25 13:22:06 (permalink)
    I'm using Jari now and I've noticed that I need to invest in some more increments.  It's very exciting.  My #5s are too easy for some tracks but my #8s still a little too difficult.  Sports Authority has #6 and #7 dumbbells so I'm investing in those instead of DVDs (I have a set fitness budget). I'm LOVING Jari.  Exercise really becomes FUN when the results start to come through.  Happy Lifting New Me!  You won't mind all the dumbbells once you start to enjoy having choices. 

Jess
    JW
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 442
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/25 13:25:45 (permalink)
    NewMe2Be~
    Congratulations on your 41# weight loss and good luck reaching your goal!

Janice
    post edited by JW - 2008/09/25 13:26:23
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/25 14:40:56 (permalink)
    I stick with 5's and 8's more than anything else. I use my 10's for back exercises ( like dead lifts and rows) But my 8's get used more than anything I would say. I use 3's rarely but for long reps on certain shoulder exercises I have to use my 3's. It just depends on the move I am doing. Regular shoulder lifts I use 5's. For rotating shoulder lifts I use 8's.

For all lower body I use 8's and 10's in lower rep workouts. But for long reps with lunges I use 5's.

Yeah just depends- the point to all of this is I use lighter for longer reps, and heavier for shorter reps. (but again my heavies are not as heavy as the instructors most of the time)

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    Xenalu
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/25 15:20:01 (permalink)
    First of all, congratulations on your achievements thus far! You're doing a great job. I just wanted to add that if storage is an issue, I keep 4 sets of my dumbbells under my Firm Transifrmer. That way they're out of sight yet still easy to get at, and if I'm not using the weights on any given day I can just pick up the Transfirmer to use when I need it.

There are also adjustable weight dumbbells out there. I don't have any, but that would save space. I know they're pretty expensive, though.

Terri
    Jerz
    • Total Posts : 3001
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/26 10:51:06 (permalink)
    Way to go!  Definitely invest in some heavier weights, you'll be happy you did.  I pass along the lower pound weights to my sister when i no longer feel the need for them.  At least they're not going to waste.

FYI  >> A friend of mine bought adjustable weights, and i find them to be a pain having to switch the weight mid-stream.
    Collage Video
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/26 11:09:13 (permalink)
    Our congrats as well - ultimately, your muscles will adapt as you become stronger.  To continue seeing results, you would want to increase the weight levels or change the workout you use when you tone.  When you switch workouts, you would be working your muscles in a different way and still continue to challenge them.
    NewMe2Be
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Do I have to keep increasing weight of dumbbells? 2008/09/26 15:51:27 (permalink)
    Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm pretty much doing the same as Mandolyn right now. I'm using 10-lb. for moves I'm stronger at (rows and overhead presses); 8-lb. for bicep curls; and 7-lb. for triceps. I think that when I get to the point where I can consistently use the 10-lb. weights for most slower workouts (where there isn't a lot of cardio with it), then I'll invest in one 12-pound set and then I'm covered. I now have 3's, 5's, 7's, 8's and one 10 (don't know where the other 10 went). The real challenge is just to work out CONSISTENTLY. Getting better! It's about progress, not perfection.
    Thanks again!
    Terri
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1