How low are "low weights"?

Author
Sophia
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 31
2008/09/25 15:32:48 (permalink)

How low are "low weights"?

I just finished reading your latest newsletter and decided to ask something I've been curious about for awhile. What is considered to be "low weight" that's used in the low weight/high rep workouts? One person's low may be another persons medium or high, depending on their strength. Are there certain poundages that are meant when low weights are referred to or is it really up to the user?

5 Replies Related Threads

Dawn
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:How low are "low weights"? 2008/09/25 17:08:04 (permalink)

Imo,its really up to the user, "heavy and low" is relative to each person.

post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/25 17:09:41
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:How low are "low weights"? 2008/09/25 17:37:35 (permalink)
    You are correct, the specific weight will depend on the person doing the workout.  Sometimes the trainer may suggest an amount based on what most users may need to use for a particular exercise.  Some muscle groups are naturally stronger than others and require a heavier weight.   Someone new to weight training often will not having any idea what weight to start out with for one muscle vs another...so trainers will suggest a weight.  But this is just intended as a guide to get you started.

If you are doing a workout which has a greater number of repetitions in each set....(ie you repeatd the movement more times before resting briefly) you will need to use a "lighter" weight.  But if it is a exercise with only 8 repetitions you will need to lift a heavier weight to be able to challenge the muscle. 

Hope this helps.
    Collage Video
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:How low are "low weights"? 2008/09/26 11:04:34 (permalink)
    Yes, even though someone would need to choose what is truly 'light' for them, it would usually be 5 lbs per weight or less.
    Sophia
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:How low are "low weights"? 2008/09/26 15:48:43 (permalink)
    Collage Video

Yes, even though someone would need to choose what is truly 'light' for them, it would usually be 5 lbs per weight or less.

Thank you (and to the others who responded). I've been working out for 5 years regularly now and have been consistently grabbing 3 lb weights whenever I hear high rep/low weight. I just wanted to know if it was okay to consider a higher poundage as "light" too.
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:How low are "low weights"? 2008/09/26 15:53:05 (permalink)
    But... I would add that in Jari Love's dvds, which are hi rep low weight, the weight loads go quite a bit higher than 5 pounds. Light is relative- once you have been doing Jari for awhile, your version of light will be heavier than you ever imagined. I really recommend her dvds.

Sophia

Collage Video

Thank you (and to the others who responded). I've been working out for 5 years regularly now and have been consistently grabbing 3 lb weights whenever I hear high rep/low weight. I just wanted to know if it was okay to consider a higher poundage as "light" too.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1