leg presses

Author
kitkat
Silver member (100-199 posts)
  • Total Posts : 123
2008/09/05 00:02:08 (permalink)

leg presses

For people who do Cathe and The Firm leg presses often; do they bulk your legs and butt or slim and firm them down? There have been some people saying the leg presses give them a square butt and others say it bulked their thighs. So I never really was sure to stick with them or not. Most of my current favorite workouts don't include them, but I'm interested in firming up my legs and shaping my butt.

Share results and experiences with doing leg presses to help me decide whether I should start doing them often or not.

7 Replies Related Threads

HelloBetty
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 08:11:46 (permalink)
    I have done Cathe workouts with leg presses.  They are not my favorite exercises to do and quite honestly I don't really feel them.  For me, I look at them more as a cardio exercise than anything else.  They haven't given me a square butt nor I think toned by legs.

For toning and firming the butt, I like doing squats, walking lunges and hill runs.  I'm still working on toning my legs but I think weighted workouts for the legs would be more effective than leg presses.

Jane  

LRM
    • Total Posts : 1183
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 09:04:51 (permalink)
    I don't have any Cathe but I have several Firm workouts.  I also do ballet workouts - excellent for the glutes and thighs.  I usually do not do ALL of the squats/lunges/leg presses in some of the Firm tapes just because I think it's too much on the knees sometimes.  I would think if you feel like you are getting bulkier thighs you might try less weight or add some ballet/bar type workouts.
    Sam
    • Total Posts : 2808
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 10:49:28 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I have heard that too -- but I routinely do leg presses with Firm, WHFN and Cathe with a 40lb barbell and have done leg presses (albeit with light weights when I started) for a long time, and my butt now looks better than in did in high school.  It's round, perky, and getting perkier :)  LOL!!  So I know many people might not get great results from leg presses, but I do.  I have a bum knee too -- and this exercise does not bother it as much as dips for example.
    Peace,
    Sam
    MRS
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 12:58:01 (permalink)
    Sam, good for you and your ever-so perky buns! LOL!

It's been years since I did a Firm rotation, but I experienced bulking of the buns and thighs doing leg presses. Albeit, your diet has a HUGH reflection on that, and at that time, I was not eating clean. I think it matters too what your body type is. I tend to gain muscle easily and when you have a layer of fluff on top of that new muscle, LOL, you look bigger.

To this day, I'm afraid of doing high box climbs because of that, but things might be different this time around, since I'm eating cleaner. Sam, you're lucky your knees aren't bothered by the climbs; those bother mine more moreso than dips.

So, kitkat, you might just need to do them for a time to see how things turn out. If you're wanting to firm up and get a rounder behind, I definitely think they would be something to consider. 

Everyone is different, so we're all going to have different outcomes because of all the stipulations, but I guess you won't know until you try something if it'll work for you!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

MRS's Opinion
    Dawn
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 16:05:32 (permalink)

I agree MRS! Depending on your bodyshape and genetics, I do Cathe but not much for my lowerbody I just get bigger, I do use it for my arms and they do get bigger but define. The only thing that works for me is high reps but with enough weight to feel for my lowerbody and to even out my pear shape I do cathe and rotate with jari for upperbody. A while back when I took step classes I did get bigger on my lowerbody. I belive Im a  MESOMORPH 

post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/05 16:06:20
    Dawn
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/05 16:10:01 (permalink)

I wanted to add,I was watching the girls at the summer olympics and how there bodys were so different and they both did gymnastics. That just shows you that everyone reacts differently to exercises depending on there bodyshape and type.

fitchick77
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:leg presses 2008/09/08 11:52:48 (permalink)
    I got bulky from doing the Firm and had to stop.  I'm so glad the new Firm workouts don't use the equipment so I CAN participate again with their workouts.  I think a lot of factors determine if you bulk or not.  If you are bottom heavy, like me, you may bulk.  I always loved doing the leg presses and I felt every one.  I miss doing them sometimes, but am very please with the size of my legs now.  I do think the presses make a great butt toner, though.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1