What is your favorite rotation?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
SG
Platinum member (300-499 posts)
  • Total Posts : 402
2008/09/28 14:28:48 (permalink)

What is your favorite rotation?

What rotation do you do that really makes you feel worked out and good?  My favorite is doing cardio 3x/wk consisting of treadmill 2x/wk and a Cathe Cardio workout 1x/wk and then doing the Bar Method 3x/wk, rotating between DS and FF.  I haven't done this in a while but look forward to it.  I always feel like I have really accomplished something when I do 60 min HIIT on the treadmill and the BM gave me nice results in the thighs.

33 Replies Related Threads

MRS
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/09/28 17:36:43 (permalink)
    Hi SG!

I think my favorite rotation I completed was this past Spring, when I was concentrating on upper body in order to get my arms in shape for the summer. I did a modified version of Cathe's Tank Top Arms, which was:

M: Total Body
    Tu: Cardio (usually k/b)
    W: Upper Body & core
    Th: Interval Cardio
    F: Cardio & yoga (sometimes HIIT)
    Sa: Total Body

I guess another reason I liked it so much, is that I got decent results, too! I lost 5 lbs and 1/2" off my waist, hips & thighs in the month of April, so I was happy. Another reason I probably saw these results is because the 6 weeks before, I was doing a less intense rotation and switched up my routine starting in April. I took up the intensity and combined high reps/low weight workouts on total body days, and one heavy day on the upper body & core day. And, I saw positive things, not just more definition in my upper body, but lower as well.

I'd like to do this rotation again (even though I'm going to be covering up my arms soon with the cooler weather, LOL, but my R shoulder is still recovering from an injury over the summer). But maybe just one day a week I could handle the heavy weights...hmm, ya know, I think you just might have convinced me to start this rotation tomorrow!

BTW, I also like your rotation and think I just might copy it down for future use--especially this winter when I'll be on my treadmill more! Thanks SG! :)

~~MRS~~ 
    Andelyn
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/09/28 18:21:52 (permalink)
    Alot of times I don't stick too long to a "true" rotation, but earlier this year (I'm sure many of you already know this) I got great results doing this rotation:

TTS: Bar Method FF and DS (alternating DVDs)
    MWF: kickboxing (Kickboxercise Workout 1 and Turbo Training- sometimes only doing 30 minutes of Workout 1, and Turbo Training is 30 minutes also)
    Sunday: Rest day

I think I began to lose some fat weight and got alot stronger (especially legs, which I attributed to Bar mainly).  Also some Bar days I added a 15-20 minute walk.  And on kickboxing days, I added a short 20 minute yoga usually (and at the time I believe it was always one of the programs on {Self Ultimate De-stress yoga}7876^).

I keep thinking about doing this rotation again, and now I have a few more kickboxing workouts to add to it - like Cathe's {Kick Max}7425^ and {Kick, Punch, and Crunch}7535^.  I just have sooooo many others I like also.  I stopped this rotation (even thought I didn't really want to) so I could add in others I didn't have time for in that rotation, like pilates and then also tried some new workouts like the Firms.

Maybe the new Bar Method workouts will come and I could add those in and start this rotation again!!!!  Oooooooooo - I'm just excited about that!  When I get those I WILL do this rotation!  Just got that idea!  Whoo hoo!  New plan!

Andelyn
    SG
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/09/28 18:47:52 (permalink)
    MRS ~ I like your rotation, too.  I am looking at buying a Cathe workout that is both aerobics and toning combined and doing this on Wednesdays.

Andelyn ~ I like your idea of waiting for the new Bar Methods to come and then doing my rotation of Cardio and BM again!  Now you got me excited!!
    SG
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 08:33:30 (permalink)
    MRS - Does Cathe have a Tank Top Arms workout or did you mean someone else?  What yoga workout do you enjoy most?

Andelyn - Is turbo training part of kickboxercise?
    Andelyn
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 11:16:06 (permalink)
    Hi SG - yes Turbo Training is also Kickboxercise.  I got these from Collage in 2002.  It came with an instructional video (not a workout), a one hour "Workout 1" tape, and a 30 minute "Turbo Training" tape meant to be used when you don't have the full hour for Workout 1.  Katalin Zamiar is the instructor in these.  They were my first experience in kickboxing and I loved them right away.

Andelyn
    Catster
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 15:29:12 (permalink)
    Hi SG!
    I usually get disapointed easily and don't stick to a rotation for too long, but lately, I have been alternating Bar Method (FF and DS) and {30-Day Shred}7963^ and love the results I am getting - I finally found something that works for me! So I will doing this rotation for 3 months.
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 15:41:30 (permalink)
    My favorite rotation was with Jari Love. I would do her 3 workouts ({S&L}7629^, {RTTC}7639^, {Ripped 1000}7702^) 3 days a week, along with cardio 6 days a week.
    So it would be like this:

Monday: Cardio and S&L
    Tuesday: Cardio (step or Hi/lo for 45-60 min)
    Wed: Cardio and RTTC
    Thurs: Cardio (kickboxing or step)
    Fri: 20 min of cardio plus Ripped 1000.
    Sat: Cardio (usually a jog)

The cardio on my weights days was always about 45 minutes. That was my usual time for cardio.

Now I do more cardio and a variety of strength and circuit workouts, I mix it up every single day, so I am not doing the same workout twice in one week. HOWEVER I saw better results when I did use Jari's workouts for a month the way I posted above. (And her workouts were the FIRST strength workouts I owned so that is why I really saw results and definition)
    But I have to say some told me I got too thin during this time, and I was below my normal weight and the doc was worried about me during this time, so that is why I began eating more frequently, and bumping up my weights since then- I am back to a really good weight and my arms are actually more toned now, just not as skinny. But that is ok. I would rather look healthy!
    But I posted this routine for those who do wish to lose weight or tone up. I still use Jari too, and I have upped my weights since then.

p.s MRS rotation looks awesome!!
    post edited by Mandolyn - 2008/10/01 15:45:19

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    jf
    • Total Posts : 1204
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 15:46:37 (permalink)
    I like doing cardio5-6 times/week for 30-45 min. Usually running sometimes fast walking
    Weights every other day (always do full body)
    yoga 2-3 times / week after work.  The days I do weights I only do about 30 min cardio and the days I just do cardio I usually do 45 minutes.  Usually One day is a circuit dvd.
    post edited by jf - 2008/10/01 15:47:42
    MRS
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 16:07:36 (permalink)
    SG

MRS - Does Cathe have a Tank Top Arms workout or did you mean someone else?  What yoga workout do you enjoy most?

Years ago this was posted at Cathe's site as the Tank Top Rotation, but I haven't heard of any workout with that name, but that doesn't mean there isn't one! Cathe,  of course,  inserted her workouts for this rotation, but since I didn't have them all, I put in my current ones I had at the time. The generic format is basically the same, with upper body emphasis. But it was funny, because I saw good things happening in my lower body as well, so I think it had a fat burning emphasis as well.

I use Eoin Finn's "quickie" practice (30 min.) a lot from his Power Yoga For Happiness dvd, which has lots of choices to pick from (that one being the shortest). I also like Rodney's Power Yoga for Stamina and I'm interested in getting his {AM Yoga For Your Week}5567^, which are short 20 min. practices which would be perfect used for add-ons. 

I am doing this rotation currently (yes, you made it happen! ;)), and I'm thinking I should be adding in more yoga since it's a tough rotation. Probably next week I'll really be noticing...

Mandee and Catster & Andelyn, love your rotation ideas, too!! I'm writing them down as we speak... ;) 

ETA: JF, I do your rotation often, too!
    post edited by MRS - 2008/10/01 16:14:56

~~MRS~~ 
    Mandolyn
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 19:31:30 (permalink)
    MRS I really need to mix in yoga and pilates type workouts in, but I just can never do them! I get so bored and I hate myself for that. I do love a good stretch though. It would be funny if we all copied eachother's old rotations and started doing them. Hee Hee!!

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    MRS
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 20:12:34 (permalink)
    Mandee, I used to be the same way--thought stretching/yoga was a waste of time since I didn't feel "worked out" after doing them. Of course, I used to also think if I didn't kill myself when I worked out, I wasn't working out!! :D Now that I'm getting old, LOL, I don't want to think of how "old" my joints/body would now actually feel if I hadn't started to include stretching/yoga into my week. I've really noticed a lot more flexibility since I started a few years ago. (I used to not be able to touch my ankles when trying to touch my toes. Now I can touch my palms to the floor). It's just so imperative that I do yoga, that the desire comes naturally and is considered a "must" at this point in time. In fact, if I don't do yoga for quite some time, I find myself craving the wonderful feeling of the mind/body connection.

Over the summer, my DD got into running (her BF is a runner, so I think she wanted to impress him, LOL), and when she came home from running, I always suggested she do a stretch dvd to prevent soreness as well as keeping her muscles lean. She did Kathy Smith's stretch a few times (since I recommended that one since it's only 8 min.), and I was shocked that she was so inflexible. I wish she would stretch more often but with her school load and work, she struggles to find time to work out. She's naturally thin and looks great, but I'm sure she would benefit from more yoga or stretching too.

Sorry, got a little off track, here! But, I definitely recommend adding in some stretching---I think you'd find it very beneficial. Hmmm, this sounds like a good October goal, especially with this particular rotation! :)

~~MRS~~ 
    SG
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 21:32:58 (permalink)
    Catster - I've been eyeing {30 day shred}7963^ for some time now!  I am just going to have to get it and add it to my BM rotation until the new BM workouts come out!  Thanks!!!
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/01 22:16:03 (permalink)
    MRS- I am right there with you on this! I have to stretch everyday- it makes a HUGE difference in how I feel and stretching has maintained my flexibility (from ballet) as the years pass! I can still do the splits! Even if you aren't naturally flexible, stretching (yoga, dance stretches, even athletic stretching somewhat) will improve your flexibility! It is nice to know our bodies will do the things we want them to if we just put the effort in. I definitely went through a long phase where I felt that if I wasn't working at a super high intensity, I wasn't working out. I do workout hard most days, but there are days when Reach or another dvd of this sort is the reward for the week's worth of hard workouts!!!

MRS

Mandee, I used to be the same way--thought stretching/yoga was a waste of time since I didn't feel "worked out" after doing them. Of course, I used to also think if I didn't kill myself when I worked out, I wasn't working out!! :D Now that I'm getting old, LOL, I don't want to think of how "old" my joints/body would now actually feel if I hadn't started to include stretching/yoga into my week. I've really noticed a lot more flexibility since I started a few years ago. (I used to not be able to touch my ankles when trying to touch my toes. Now I can touch my palms to the floor). It's just so imperative that I do yoga, that the desire comes naturally and is considered a "must" at this point in time. In fact, if I don't do yoga for quite some time, I find myself craving the wonderful feeling of the mind/body connection.

Over the summer, my DD got into running (her BF is a runner, so I think she wanted to impress him, LOL), and when she came home from running, I always suggested she do a stretch dvd to prevent soreness as well as keeping her muscles lean. She did Kathy Smith's stretch a few times (since I recommended that one since it's only 8 min.), and I was shocked that she was so inflexible. I wish she would stretch more often but with her school load and work, she struggles to find time to work out. She's naturally thin and looks great, but I'm sure she would benefit from more yoga or stretching too.

Sorry, got a little off track, here! But, I definitely recommend adding in some stretching---I think you'd find it very beneficial. Hmmm, this sounds like a good October goal, especially with this particular rotation! :)
    MH
    • Total Posts : 6498
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/02 06:37:06 (permalink)
    I discovered late how important stretching is.  I used to never stretch after my workouts.  Now that I am in my 50's and those joints just don't want to bend like they used to so I incorporate it everyday, someway even if it's all I do that day.  Especially since I sit at a desk a good part of the day for work and when I stand up I can hardly walk I am so stiff. Yikes.
    Mandolyn
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/02 11:01:43 (permalink)
    I do stretch after every workout, even if it is not along with the workout stretch I stretch on my own for about 10 minutes each day. I do LOVE to stretch after I have worked out. I just mean doing only stretching for like one hour, I don't know if I could do that. But I need to do {Reach}7509^ again. I only did it once and quite frankly it bored me to tears!! lol but I will make myself do it again....

Oh and MRS, I too have become more flexible just in stretching after working out, and my favorite stretch right now is the pigeon pose. Ahhhhh oh I how I love it! I love that good hurt when your muscles truly need to be stretched. I also love the pose in {All Body Attack}7835^ at the end, where you stand up on one leg, lean forward and touch the ground with your fingers, stretching your hip flexor. Yeah there are some good stretch moves out there~
    post edited by Mandolyn - 2008/10/02 11:03:31

Catster
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/02 12:03:21 (permalink)
    Hi SG!
    At one point I was just doing the {30-Day Shred}7963^ every day and did it for 30 days straight. I did Level one for over a week then moved on to the next levels, unfortunately, that did not work for me. But this time around I wanted to do things a little different since I like {30DS}7963^ and combine it with BM. This is what I've been doing for the past 4 weeks...

MWF: BM (FF & DS) plus 15 min of Iwant those arms
    Tu, Th, Sa: {30-Day Shred}7963^ (2 works out per day, alternating, L1 & L2, L1 & L3, etc.)

I also switch the order of when I do BM. One week I start with FF and the next I start with DS. 

Thanks!
    SG
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/02 19:28:16 (permalink)
    Catster - do you do any cardio?
    MRS
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/03 07:41:28 (permalink)
    Mandolyn

I do stretch after every workout, even if it is not along with the workout stretch I stretch on my own for about 10 minutes each day. I do LOVE to stretch after I have worked out. I just mean doing only stretching for like one hour, I don't know if I could do that. But I need to do {Reach}7509^ again. I only did it once and quite frankly it bored me to tears!! lol but I will make myself do it again....

Oh and MRS, I too have become more flexible just in stretching after working out, and my favorite stretch right now is the pigeon pose. Ahhhhh oh I how I love it! I love that good hurt when your muscles truly need to be stretched. I also love the pose in {All Body Attack}7835^ at the end, where you stand up on one leg, lean forward and touch the ground with your fingers, stretching your hip flexor. Yeah there are some good stretch moves out there~

I'm glad to hear you stretch daily, Mandee! Even when I stretch daily after my workouts as cool downs, I still crave longer stretching or yoga vids throughout my week. Like w.o.w., I have favorite stretching/yoga vids that I pick as a reward for all my weekly hard workouts. I, however, feel {Reach}7509^ isn't one of them! LOL! Granted it's a great workout, but when I'm wanting to relax and just stretch, I choose a yoga or stretch dvd that just requires you to lay there and stretch those muscles!! To me, {Reach}7509^ is too much hard work and I term it more for an active rest day, IMO.

Once I got over the "having to kill myself in order to feel worked out" phase, LOL, my body has been thanking me over and over for including those yoga/stretching workouts in my weekly rotations. Not just for providing more flexibility, but for providing a mind/body connection, i.e., a mental refreshment to know that I'm taking care of my sore, achey joints that I was so hard on during the week, and that in doing so, my joint problems will hopefully be non-existant in the future. Like MH said, the older we get, the more our joints don't want to cooperate! So, stretching and yoga when done consistantly, I feel, can combat that problem.

With all that said, my current rotation is working me hard, LOL! I'm not used to walking/jogging intervals every 2 minutes for 3 miles!! And, I have a bum knee to top it off! I was really feeling achey getting out of bed this morning!! So, today is a YOGA day for me!! Probably a nice, l-o-n-g yoga day! I didn't mean to get so preachy here! Take care!:)

~~MRS~~ 
    Laura
    • Total Posts : 2893
    Re:What is your favorite rotation? 2008/10/03 07:56:43 (permalink)
    MRS~ Careful with that knee!

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1