Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel

Author
Donna D
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 3289
2008/09/30 20:04:38 (permalink)

Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel

I am slowly recovering from carpal tunnel, have made some great progress, can even do some pushups now, have worked myself up to using 3 pound weights during upper body routines.  During Leslie walks many times I used the weighted balls, either 1 or 2  pounds.  I recently purchased the 1 and 2 pound wrist weights.  Now, I'm second guessing whether I should use them.  Do you have knowledge on this subject?  Would putting the weights around your wrist possibly inflame the wrist and cause the carpal tunnel to flare up?  I had to drop out of physical therapy months ago - was getting too expensive - otherwise I would have asked the PT.

Thanks for your advice.
Donna D.

8 Replies Related Threads

Laura
    • Total Posts : 2893
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/09/30 23:23:59 (permalink)
    Donna D~
    I don't actually know the answer, but I thought I would share my experience.  I have chronic tendonitis in both wrists (which is different, I know), and I know that wrist weights aren't an option for me.  Ouch.
    Perhaps, ask your doc?

l.

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson
    Donna D
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/01 06:03:45 (permalink)
    Good morning Laura,

Your reply makes a lot of sense.  Thanks!
    Donna D.
    Donna
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/01 13:44:14 (permalink)
    Donna D.: I don't understand your situation. Are you recovering from surgery or trying to delay it? There is no cure for carpal tunnel syndrome, unless you have a very mild case of it. Then you MIGHT be able to reverse it with lots of care. At least, that is what my orthopedic surgeon told me (but there is always the chance that I misunderstood him or have selective memory!). That being said, I don't know what the answer is to your question re: wrist weights, but if you can use 2-3 pound handweights, then I don't see what the difference would be. However, it is always best to check with a professional. BTW, if you are recovering from surgery, it is my understanding that once you have the surgery, the carpal tunnel is cured (allowing for recovery from surgery, of course) and that it will not return.

Donna
    Donna D
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/01 15:47:16 (permalink)
    Hi Donna,

No, I did not have surgery.  The carpal tunnel was quite bad a year ago, but the physical therapy relieved most of the pain and tingling.   I had a lot of weakness in my upper body as a result of it.

My specific concern is that if I put on the wrist weights - meaning they will be directly on my wrists versus holding a weight - will that cause problems with the nerves in the wrist becoming inflammed.

Regarding surgery -  fortunately I did not have to consider that option.  Some people have had success with surgery while some have not, sometimes one can even have further nerve damage from the surgery.

Thanks for responding,
    Donna D.

Donna

Donna D.: I don't understand your situation. Are you recovering from surgery or trying to delay it? There is no cure for carpal tunnel syndrome, unless you have a very mild case of it. Then you MIGHT be able to reverse it with lots of care. At least, that is what my orthopedic surgeon told me (but there is always the chance that I misunderstood him or have selective memory!). That being said, I don't know what the answer is to your question re: wrist weights, but if you can use 2-3 pound handweights, then I don't see what the difference would be. However, it is always best to check with a professional. BTW, if you are recovering from surgery, it is my understanding that once you have the surgery, the carpal tunnel is cured (allowing for recovery from surgery, of course) and that it will not return.
    Collage Video
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/01 18:38:41 (permalink)
    Donna D
    Actually, Donna's response is inline with what we know, in general about carpal tunnel.  As with any medical condition,
    we would suggest that you talk with your personal care provider to determine the best way to proceed. It could be that even the style of wrist weights you choose could make a difference. You may also want to address this question in the "Special Situations" forum to get others feedback.
    megw
    • Total Posts : 4702
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/02 11:26:13 (permalink)
    I have mild carpel tunnel - probably will have the surgery at some point. My big problem was I was waking up with my hands all clenched - it was very painful. My docter told me about hand splints or braces that I wear at night.  As for carpel tunnel and weight lifting - After her surgery my mother was lifting wieght - granted they were very light. Also my Chiroprator had the surgery and was back at work early - and seems to do just fine. I think once you have the surgery you can go back but talk to you doctor and see what they suggest.
    As someone else said there is no cure you have to get the surgery. I think everyone would have their own personal results
    Donna
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/09 12:31:22 (permalink)
    After conferring with my doctor, I have decided to delay surgery for awhile, as my case is very mild. He said,  though (and I've also read up on this), that the more severe the case is, the harder it is to correct it. In severe cases, I've been told, sometimes surgery does not really help very much. That is why I am going to monitor my situation and if I notice my symptoms are getting worse, then I will opt for the surgery. I want to be an active person for as long as possible. The surgery, if the condition is caught early, doesn't sound that bad and could save me a lifetime of pain and disability.

Donna
    Donna D
    Re:Wrist Weights and Carpal Tunnel 2008/10/09 13:15:55 (permalink)
    Donna,
    Did your doctor or physical therapist give you any nerve and tendon gliding exercises to do?  I feel this is why I made great progress.

The pain and tingling was very bad for a few months - to the point where I would come home from work in tears.  I won't say the pain was excruciating, but when you live in daily pain it does become emotionally draining and you are very tired.

I have also found that using ice is a big help - don't leave on too long at one time.
    Donna D.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1