Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees!

Author
geojill
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 30
2008/10/03 23:06:29 (permalink)

Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees!

I am on the hunt for a new workout and would like to work on my lower body a little more.  However, too many squats and lunges, in particular, really bother my knees.  I have a hard time getting into pilates, which doesn't help matters.  Could you recommend a good video that might work?

Jill

10 Replies Related Threads

fitnessbuff
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/04 19:56:29 (permalink)
    Leslie Sansone's Short Cuts Lower Body is all floor work, and it is not too easy, especially if you use ankle weights. Also, the old Karen Voight {Great Weighted Workout}7203^ has a long, tough lower body floor work section. Finally, I know you said that you don't like Pilates, but Winsor Buns and Thighs Pilates is not really too much like standard Pilates - it moves right along, is only 15-20 minutes long, and it really targets the lower body. It is all floor work.
    geojill
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/04 21:55:33 (permalink)
    Thanks, Fitnessbuff!  It's funny that you mention Winsor Buns & Thighs because I have that one and dragged it out from the back of my collection yesterday.  I think it's frustrating for me because I actually LIKE squats and lunges and I love using my high step, but can't really do them too often anymore because they make my knees hurt.  Lunges, especially stationary lunges like the ones in Jari's {Slim & Lean}7629^ just kill...I literally hurt for days after doing that one.  I also build muscle in my legs easily (especially in my quads) and so the high step builds my muscles up to the point where I have problems fitting in my pants! LOL  So I think that I will add the Buns & Thighs in to my routine for lower body work.  Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

Jill
    w.o.w.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 06:56:30 (permalink)
    Hi Jill,

I just wanted to ask you if you have tried fish oil. It has really helped my knees. I used to get some knee pain, and since I have been taking the fish oil regularly, it has completely gone away. 

I take two capsules after dinner. That's it, and no pain!

geojill
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 07:46:30 (permalink)
    I take a Coromega packet every day.  I haven't noticed any difference in my knees, but I haven't been taking it too long yet.  I really like it, and there are no fish burps with it!  If you go to their web site, they offer a free sample.
    JeNnY
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 10:15:21 (permalink)
    geojill

I take a Coromega packet every day.  I haven't noticed any difference in my knees, but I haven't been taking it too long yet.  I really like it, and there are no fish burps with it!  If you go to their web site, they offer a free sample. 

Jill, may I ask if Coromega is a vegetarian alternative?  Just curious.  I haven't had knee pain in the last 7-8 months, ever since I started working out consistently 5-6 days a week (ATW, yoga, some cardio, a bit of pilates, etc).  Before that, my knees hurt most of the time especially when I got up in the morning or at any attempt to kneeling.   What I experience sometimes when doing dips or lunges is unbanlance, but I guess that has to do more with my alingment or posture... or perhaps I should hold my stomach muscles...?
    sakina
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 10:26:42 (permalink)
    Has anyone tried the Emergen-c powder with glucosamine chondroitin?? and did it help?

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain"~anon.
    ~Sakina~
    geojill
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 15:54:06 (permalink)
    JeNnY, I don't think it's a vegetarian alternative, just a better tasting one.  My picky 9 year old daughter even likes it.  It's kind of like a pudding-like consistency in a condiment-like packet.  We have the orange one that has the aftertaste of chocolate.  But I'm pretty sure it's not vegetarian.

sakina, I have tried that Emergen-C, but didn't take it long enough to see if it helped or not.  I don't think I even finished the box, because it never dissolved completely like the regular (like super orange flavor) ones do.  And I didn't want to have to take 2-3 packets a day to get enough of the glucosamine (primarily because it irritates me that it doesn't completely dissovle).  I have found that liquid glucosamine helps a little, but it tastes SO GROSS.  Joint Juice (tangerine flavor) is actually pretty good, but I have a tight budget and do not have the money to be spending on things like that, liquid glucosamine, etc.  But I will stick with the Coromega long enough to see if that works.
    sakina
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/05 16:54:26 (permalink)
    Thank you!

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain"~anon.
    ~Sakina~
    Collage Video
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/07 11:29:14 (permalink)
    In addition to the great suggestions made by 'fitnessbuff',
    I would add the Firm {Sculpted Buns, Hips & Thighs}7216^ workout that is 30 minutes of all floor work. It's intense, traditional toning and works the abs as well as lower body.
    geojill
    Re:Lower body work that doesn't kill the knees! 2008/10/07 20:26:55 (permalink)
    Wow, 30 minutes of floorwork?  I can already feel the burn!  Thanks for the suggestion :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1