Are wide squats more effective?

Author
T
Platinum member (300-499 posts)
  • Total Posts : 357
2008/10/07 14:35:54 (permalink)

Are wide squats more effective?

I have found that the wider I put my feet in a squat the more I feel it in my glutes...if I do squats with closed knees I feel nothing!  Is this the way it's supposed to be or am I doing them incorrectly?  I keep my knees behind my toes always and keep my shoulders up like I am supposed to!

8 Replies Related Threads

Mandolyn
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 15:01:20 (permalink)
    Both are good! I have a workout that does both of them separately actually. With your knees closer together you can feel it more in your inner glute area and inner thigh almost- but with your legs wider you can really feel all along the back leg and outer thigh and glute area. There are SO many muscles in our legs and it is amazing how each move can target different muscles. (and of course it all depends on how deep you squat too)
    And yes always sit back on the heels of your feet, not bringing your weight over your knees. (almost as if your toes are being lifted, because you are putting all your weight on the heels of your feet)
    post edited by Mandolyn - 2008/10/07 15:02:21

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    MRS
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 15:14:40 (permalink)
    I find ply squats (wide squats) more effective for working the inner thighs, but regular squats more effective for glute work. When I'm doing a regular squat, my feet are about 1 1/2 feet apart, with my shoulders back and down, my knees not going past my toes, and my butt sticks way out far behind me! It's almost like I'm going to sit down in a chair, but changed my mind at the last minute. When I do squats with this form, I can really feel them in my thighs and glutes! HTH!

~~MRS~~ 
    Mandolyn
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 15:50:59 (permalink)
    Plie squats (with toes pointed outwards) works your inner thighs yes. But if your feet are pointed straight and you are doing a wide squat, this is also effective for the outer thighs and glutes- if you sit deep with weight on your heels. I guess there are several different squats!

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    MRS
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 16:58:51 (permalink)
    Mandee,

You are very correct with your analogy of ply squats. I didn't mean for my post to insinuate that they only work the inner thighs! ;) They definitely DO target lots of different muscles and are so effective for working the lower body! I keep trying to remember that when I'm doing hundreds of squats in the Slim Series workouts! :D

~~MRS~~ 
    Mandolyn
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 17:02:09 (permalink)
    Oh MRS, I actually forgot about plie squats!! That is why I mentioned them after you had because I was picturing just wide squats with feet pointed straight ahead and sitting deep into the squat- (Kelly Coffey does a lot of these) Then there are the narrow squats which is where your feet are more together, maybe 2 inches apart and pointed straight ahead as well. I thought it was funny I hadn't thought of plie squats when answering, and that is probably what T meant, so you definately cleared that up for not only her but me as well! lol

MRS
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/07 17:57:37 (permalink)
    OK, now we probably totally confused T with all of our ramblings of squatting... LOL!

~~MRS~~ 
    Mandolyn
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/08 11:31:23 (permalink)
    LOL yeah it is my fault, sorry!! I hope you understood all of that T.

Collage Video
    Silver member (100-199 posts)
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Are wide squats more effective? 2008/10/08 14:10:59 (permalink)
    T,
    As you can see by the different responses, there are many ways to do a squat. You mention that with your knees closed you 'feel nothing' and you may not feel it the same, as when your feet are wider. That does not mean that you are not working deeper muscle or smaller muscle fibers. Even by changing the range of motion from a full squat to a pulse squat you change how you 'hit' the muscle. Variety is good and necessary to work each muscle from all direction.  Remember, what works well for one person may not be what's right for another. Most importantly, proper form is a must in each variation to avoid injury.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1