Kettlebell substitution?

Author
Bad
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 1182
2008/10/14 11:34:15 (permalink)

Kettlebell substitution?

Collage & others, can you successfully substitute a dumbbell for a kettlebell & still get the same results/workout?? Or is substituting defeating the purpose?? I am interested  but don't know if I can handle a kettlebell.  Thanks  :)

3 Replies Related Threads

JW
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 442
    Re:Kettlebell substitution? 2008/10/14 11:56:44 (permalink)
    Hi Bad~
    My local Target carries an 7# bell by Go Fit and includes a tutorial dvd.  It's the only place I've seen a kettlebell under 10# other than the 5# bell that comes with the {FIRM kit}9343^.  You may want to try this 7# kettlebell.  Keep the receipt - Target has a good return policy if it doesn't work out for you.  There is a lot more room for your hands on the bell than on the FIRM bell. 

As to your question about sustituting.  I think the answer would be on some moves, the dumb bell and kettlebell would be interchangeable - like rows, turkish get up, presses, and windmills.  On others, like the swings, I think you would get greater benefit from the kettlebell.  On some of the ab moves, you could substitute a medicine ball.  Of course, this is just my personal opinion and not an educated reply.  But, I really like the kettlebell.  HTH

Janice
    HelloBetty
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:Kettlebell substitution? 2008/10/14 11:59:10 (permalink)
    My opinion would be no because the dynamics of the kettlebell is different from a dumbbell.  With the dumbbell the weight is distributed equally but with kettlebells the weight is more centered. 

I have seen the swing done with a dumbbell but I just don't think you will be able to get the benefits and full range of motion with a dumbbell.  I think you will have problems using a dumbbell for most swing movements.

I agree with Janice that there are some movements that you can use with dumbbells.  I learned how to do the Turkish Get up with dumbbells first.

Before investing in a kettlebell, see if you can find a class or instructor that can teach you the basics.  Or check out your local gym.  They may have kettlebells that you can try out.
    post edited by HelloBetty - 2008/10/14 12:00:38

Jane  

MH
    • Total Posts : 6498
    Re:Kettlebell substitution? 2008/10/14 16:31:47 (permalink)
    They highly discourage you from using a dumbell instead of kettlebells.  I think it has to do with the range of motion when doing the kettlebells.  The dumbbell limits the range of motion were as the kettlebell, you get a full range of motion for the movement.

I would just be careful if you do use dumbbells.

Mary
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1