how do I plan out a rotation

Author
smooga_79
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 17
2008/10/19 19:02:15 (permalink)

how do I plan out a rotation

I just read all the posts available about rotations.  I could use some help.  How do I plan out a rotation? In the past I was working out 5d/wk 60-70 mins with Cathe Freidrich videos (alt. one day cardio/one day cardio & weights).  I was able to maintain my weight but wasn't losing any and I wasn't seeing any change in my measurements.   I do a lot of step and would love to break it up w/some floor aerobics or kickboxing, so if anyone has some good suggestions send them my way.

6 Replies Related Threads

cc
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/19 19:52:16 (permalink)
    I'm also lost on rotations as well.  I've tried to set things up a rotation many times but never stuck with it.  Do those of you that have followed them feel like you get better results with a strict rotaion vs say cardio 4x/wk and wts 2x/wk.
    fitchick77
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/20 09:55:24 (permalink)
    I'm sure a lot of people will have an opinion on this.  Personally, I like a rotation because you don't have to make that decision of what workout to do or what type, because it's already planned- IF you follow one of the pre-planned rotations like the Firm offers.  It depends what your goal is, what type of rotation you do.  I follow (to lose stubborn fat or the last 5-10 pounds):
    M- cardio
    T-  strength (cardio/sculpt)
    W- cardio
    Th- strength (cardio/sculpt OR yoga/pilates)
    F-  cardio
    Sat- cardio
    Sun- OFF

What workouts do you have specifically?  If you like doing step, but you want to do kickboxing workouts too, why not do a variation of cardio during the week?
    Jerz
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 3001
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/22 13:14:43 (permalink)
    I also alternate cardio days with weight days usually taking Sunday off.  I used to do a lot of step w/weights (firm) but started getting very bored, and like you, didn't see a whole lot of change in my muscles.  I started doing Jari Love's Ripped series on my strength days about a year and a half ago, and feel my arms have changed alot.  Six months ago i added kettlebells to my strenth training and REALLY enjoy that as well.  For cardio I switched to Turbo Jam which is pretty fun and still do an occasional step tape....
    Hope that helps...!
    Jen
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 255
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/22 13:51:29 (permalink)
    Fitchick - when you say "strength (cardio/sculpt)" does that mean on your strength day you should still do cardio that also has sculpting in it or you can do either cardio or sculpt (I think its the first one, but I want to make sure).  I have a perpetual 5 pounds I always want to lose, and don't often do a pure strength day (usually my weight days are combined with cardio intervals), but I want to make sure I'm reading that right.  Hopefully I am making sense.  Thank you!
    fitchick77
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/22 14:33:57 (permalink)
    Yes Jen you are making perfect sense!  And, you are right!  When I say cardio/sculpt, I put that because so many people here use The Firm which offers workouts already determined as cardio/sculpt.  It means you are doing sculpting w/ intervals of cardio.  When you lift you are elevating your heart rate and when you do this in combination with cardio you are maximizing your results by keeping your heart rate elevated...thus burning fat!  When I do this type of a workout, I don't add anything additional for cardio, I just use what is offered in the video.  It works for me this way.  What types of workout do you do, Jen?
    Mandolyn
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:how do I plan out a rotation 2008/10/22 14:51:40 (permalink)
    My rotations to maintain my weight have always been like this:
    Mon- Cardio and strength (either cardio first then strength or a circuit workout that combines both)
    Tues- Cardio and abs
    Wed- Cardio and strength (same thing, either one each or combined)
    Thursday- Cardio and abs
    Fri- Cardio and strength
    Sat- Cardio and abs
    Sun- rest day

Now with cardio this means anything from step to hi/lo on the floor or kickboxing. I combine them a lot too. With strength I don't lift too heavy and my workouts are never longer than 2 hours on my cardio and weights days. I usually workout most days for about 60-90 minutes. But I do cardio every single day as I feel that is what keeps me maintaining more than anything else.

When I was losing the weight I did this routine but just ate differently- I did not have as many treats as I have now and I ate in moderation. Now I still try to stick to eating in moderation but I don't diet. I hope that all makes sense!

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1