help for outer thighs

Author
trillium
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/10/20 23:30:31 (permalink)

help for outer thighs

I have been trying for years to tone my thighs. I work out 5-6 days a week, varying lower body specific workouts with cardio, stretching and arms/abs. I do a lower body workout 2-3 times a week. I recently started doing Cathe's {Gym Style Legs}7505^, with light weights instead of the bar bells. My other primary leg workout is the leg portions of Tracy Effingers {Squeeze}7836^. Occasionally others. I am 50 years old and 10 pounds overweight, all in my legs. I can't seem to lose that 10 pounds. The part of the thigh that I want to shrink is the outer thigh just below the hip, underneath where a brief would end. The results I am having are to shrink the area of the outer hip, just above the thigh, where you would expose the hip if you were wearing French cut undies. The upper thigh isn't shrinking, and its making it look worse than before. I have a double hourglass effect, once at the waist, and again at the hip.
A fitness instructor told me once that NO exercise would shrink that outer thigh, that the only way to get rid of it was by weight loss. Is this true? I feel like giving up!

19 Replies Related Threads

Dawn
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 08:54:51 (permalink)

I agree with the fitness instructor, you cant spot reduce but I believe you can tone the muscle and reshape through training.The only thing I would suggest is cardio and diet,through cardio and diet you will lose fat overall and by adding your training you will shape the muscle. To be able to see definiton you need to lose fat.  Hows your diet? Can you give us a sample of your diet?

post edited by Dawn - 2008/10/21 08:55:21
    trillium
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 13:04:25 (permalink)
    My diet is pretty good. I eat fresh fruits and vegies daily, no beef, mostly chicken or vegeterian, with rice often, not a lot of processed foods. My downfall is sugar. I often eat a cookie, muffin or bit of chocolate after lunch or dinner. I know if I could break that habit, I would lose weight.
     I swing dance at least once a week, and do cardio 2-3 times a week ,usually for  45 minutes. I can't find the time to fit 4-5 cardio days and do lower body 2-3 times, and do abs and yoga and pilates.... there are not enough days to the week.
    HelloBetty
    • Total Posts : 2191
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 13:56:04 (permalink)
    Are you talking about the saddlebag area?  I agree with Dawn that diet and cardio will help.  Have you ever tried kickboxing?  Doing kickboxing helped me to tone my saddelbag area.

Jane  

Andelyn
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 14:04:28 (permalink)
    I am so with you on the "need to cut the sweets out"!  Me too! Last summer/early spring 2007 I was finally having some good results with my little rule of "one sweet a day" and I tried to make it a pretty small portion of something I liked just to get that nice taste in :)  And I also started taking short walks about 3 times a week for about 15 minutes or sometimes 20 or 30 minutes if I had more time or energy that day.  I was also doing about 4 other workouts - Karen Voight's {Burn and Firm}7070^ and {Quick and Slim cardio}7740^ (each one twice a week).  I was able to wear capris I could not wear before, so I did lose a little in the hips (my problem area) and some in the thighs.  I think cutting the sweets and adding walking really helped.  I also cut my regular portion sizes a tiny bit, but not much.

It is hard to stick with it, but I am now back just this week to doing that exact same plan that had worked for me before.  Those small changes really make a huge difference.

Andelyn
    Dawn
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 15:18:01 (permalink)

Im not sure about your diet, How much Chocolate do you have and the muffins and cookies "What Kind of muffins and cookies"? Do you Have them everyday?

If you say that your diet is good,then its where you hold your genetic fat.  Im a pear and its very hard for me to get very define in my lowerbody area. For my abs and arms I can get very define since I dont have alot of bodyfat on my abs and upperbody.  But when it comes to losing bodyfat, cardio and diet is the key! Weights will increase muscle which will help burn more calories but it will not reduce your inner thighs "spot reduce". Hope this helps!

Sounds like you are doing more toning then cardio? you do yoga,pilates,and extra 2-3 days of lowerbody,sounds a bit too much,Can you give me a sample of your exercise for the week,I love to help 

post edited by Dawn - 2008/10/21 15:58:04
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 16:13:01 (permalink)
    Karen Voight's {Great Weighted Workout}7203^ also has a floor segment that targets the outer thighs, inner thighs and glutes and hamstrings. I love these lower body exercises.

But also more cardio. Cardio is SO important!! Kickboxing is a great way to get shapely- it has helped me a lot with my thighs and hip area. I slim down a lot in those areas when I do more kickboxing. I notice my jeans always fit nicer - more loose which is what I like. It also helps the obliques!

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    Slinks
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 16:45:20 (permalink)
    Agreed Mandolyn, cardio, kickboxing and kicking moves have so helped my thigh-butt points to the point where they're almost gone !!  :-)  Lots of cardio, hamstring curls, kicking moves and a good diet are what did it for me .. believe me my thighs were huge !!!
    trillium
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 18:41:54 (permalink)
    I've never done this back and forth posting before. This is fun. Thanks to all of you.

I will clarify. There are not enough days to do all of those types of exercise, so, what I do most weeks is as follows:
    2-3 days of cardio, usually 45 minutes,:2-3 days of lower body. On the other days I will do an arm/ab day, or tack on 10 minutes of ab work onto a cardio day, and 1 day of either yoga, or one of of Kari Andersons Angles Lines and Curves, or maybe some bellydance. I take 1 ,sometimes 2 days off a week. I meet with a swing dance group and dance every week for a couple of hours.
     I am genetically prone to the pear shape, all of my family is like that.
     I tried kick boxing for a while a long time ago in a class setting, but found that I kept having to go to the chiropractor. I was putting my back out. My back is stronger now so perhaps I could try it again. Can anyone recommend one with real music, not horrible synthetic music?
     It sounds like most of you are recommending more cardio, rather than more toning, so if you want, check out my post to the open forum regarding  the music on dvd's. I am having a hard time finding ones that fit my musical tastes. Thanks
    Dawn
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 21:05:25 (permalink)

Im Also a Pear and what I find that really helps me is running and walking it helps slim my lowerbody. I would recommand 2 days lowerbody and 2 days upperbody or 3 days whole body toning,but thats me. I lift heavy for upperbody to balance out my pear shape and high reps for my lowerbody light to medium weights. I will check out the forum about the music.  I agree I would recommand at least 4 days cardio then toning to lose bodyfat and clean eating. Take Care!

post edited by Dawn - 2008/10/21 21:14:26
    Andelyn
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/21 22:29:26 (permalink)
    For kickboxing I'd recommend Keli Robert's {10 Minute Solution Kickbox}7486^.  There's toning and cardio combined in it (especially that lower body segment that is my favorite).  She's a good instructor and wants you to watch your form, so you should be okay with this one I think.

Yeah, probably doing more cardio than the toning would help more at this point?  You could always try it and then if you are not seeing results after a month or so, then change your routine again.  Changing your routine in itself can help too.

Or also how about circuit training workouts like Michelle Dozios' {Your Best Body Circuit}7820^ or Karen Voight's {Burn and Firm}7070^.  So you can get cardio and toning in one workout.  A few of my favorites there ... Also Karen's {Quick and Slim Cardio}7740^ will give you a cardio workout in less than 30 minutes.  Also, Your Best Body Circuit has a 30 minute workout option, btw.

Hope that might help.

Andelyn
    trillium
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/23 22:59:21 (permalink)
    I'm trying the more cardio, and I've lost a pound since the first post.
    I have Karen Voight's Cardio Strength. Its a step cardio, full body weight training circuit workout. I haven't used it a lot, but its good. Can I do that kind of workout and then do a lower body workout either the day before or after? I have been leaving either 1 or 2 days between lower body workouts, so far, but if I'm going to fit in more cardio, I will need to do cardio plus something else on a least some days..
    Thanks
    Dawn
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/24 09:09:43 (permalink)

I run 5 times a week and also do lowerbody on the same day. Imo,I think its fine doing both cardio and lowerbody on the same day.

Orion
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/10/30 03:33:03 (permalink)
    You have been given terrific answers. I'd like to add:
    Diet - are you eating enough? your diet sounds healthy, just make sure you have enough calories in your day, and calcium!
    Workouts - you can do toning and aerobics the same day. Some like to do toinng first as aerobics create fatigue... Make sure you do an aerobic w/o you are accustomed to on days you do toning, a new one can surprise you with plyo and the like that will push your legs too much. Kickboxing is awsome but demands good form to be safe, your past experiance could be from a bad teacher - just start off with a good DVD where you can learn correct form and don't do more than 2X week.  
    Also to consider are the Firm DVDs - esp. those with the fanny firmer (tall box) and the AWT.
    trillium
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/11/20 23:10:28 (permalink)
    Thanks,Orion ,for the advice. I have been busy and haven't checked back in a while. What is AWT?
    Orion
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:help for outer thighs 2008/11/21 01:56:16 (permalink)
    Aerobic Weight Training - moslty refers to aerobics done with light weights to up the intensity - these are not considered strength workouts.
    katesmith
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:help for outer thighs 2011/03/07 15:11:57 (permalink)
    if i do upper body the cathe gym style and for lower body any program from the ones mentioned above squeeze.

the mat method or cathe floorwork legwork and same day 30 min cardio .

You see I have runner's knee I cant do squats or lunges and some exercises.

would that combination be good to lose weight and tone my body .
    Michele Olson
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:help for outer thighs 2011/03/13 11:18:06 (permalink)
    Hi Trillium:

This article I co-wrote may be of interest to you:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_7_4/ai_n6006151/?tag=content;col1

Here is a short, follow-up article:
    http://healthfitness.frs.com/lose-weight-pear-shape-6412.html

I work with a lot of women who share your dilemna. You also have been given some excellent tips on workout DVDs in this thread.  I would only add/agree that variety in your routine and one that punches up calorie expenditure can be beneficial

Best wishes to you and hugs!  Doc Mchele
    Michele Olson
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:help for outer thighs 2011/03/18 18:01:49 (permalink)
    Here is another link that provides a nice explanation regarding fat deposition in the legs, outer hips, etc.  Perhaps the tips toward the end of the article might be of interest.

Take care everyone!  Doc Michele : )

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/05/12/how-do-i-get-rid-of-saddlebags/
    trillium
    Re:help for outer thighs 2011/03/30 22:20:30 (permalink)
    Doc Michele,
     I just got your dvd, {perfect legs}5830^ etc. I have only done the mega workout once, but it definitely was cardio as well as toning for me. I actually feel it most in the lower abs, but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1