workouts for overweight

Author
kcbenson
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/03/19 09:46:44 (permalink)

workouts for overweight

I am 38 and about 50 pounds overweight I am looking for cardio workouts with not hard choreography. After having two children I have alot of belly to lose also. Any idea's ??

11 Replies Related Threads

flower child
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/19 10:08:09 (permalink)
    [id=tmppasteie1269011264860]Good for you, KC, and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of friends here and lots of support.

Chris Freytag has some great workouts. The choreo is easy, they're upbeat, and Chris is very encouraging. There's no dread factor.

Have fun!
    Phoenix
    • Total Posts : 718
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/19 11:08:39 (permalink)
    Hi and Welcome.
     My first post in the monthly 100 challenge was...'did 10 minutes of Petra Kolber's {Cardio for Beginners}5647^.  I was SO proud. Now I do the 20 minute workout as an add-on cause it's too easy.  And once a routine becomes easy it can become boring, so  I don't do her very often,  But she's great at cueing, there's nothing complicated in the steps...repeaters, lunges, squats...no fancy dancing, although there is a 'dance' option, but it's still not real dancey.  There are choices between 10 minute or 20 minute dance or athletic or any combo.  I would always recommend her as my first choice for a beginner.
    Also, some peole like Debra Mazda.  For some reason I find her extremely annoying, and rarely do her workout, but the footwork is easy. There are folks that say she's wonderful. 
    Richard Simmons is also easy once you've done the workout a few times.  He's not great at cueing, (I think that's the biggest complaint about his videos), but I really enjoy {Sweatin' to the Oldies}9331^.  His Blast Off is a 20 minute workout that eventually you'll want to do when you don't feel like exercising but just want to move.  If you mess up you can easily catch up, since the steps aren't hard to do at all. 
    IMO, you can't miss with my absolute favorite...Leslie Sansone.  Everyone has an opinion...some find her annoying cause she's chatty...but she's my go-to person for hard or for fun.  I thought a walking video would be boring and not worth the effort, but believe me and the others who will tell you this...it's a workout!  Also, you can do different length walks depending on your time and how you feel that day.  She has a lot of videos available. Did you know her studio is in New Castle? I can't wait to visit this summer.  Even if I don't meet her, I'm going to see her studio.
    Just remember that the people doing the video are experienced exercisers and you don't have to keep up with them to be getting a workout.  You'll know you're progressing as the workouts get easier, but just because someone says "You can do it" doesn't mean you're ready today. Maybe tomorrow or next week, but listen to your body.  If you can't talk back to the TV and tell them a sentence or two, slow down and catch your breath.  Petra and Leslie are very good at reminding you that it's your workout, so it has to be right for you. And remember that no exercise will reduce only one area.  Aerobics will take off any fat, anywhere.  It just seems hard when you want to lose it in the front and people say, "Wow, your face got thinner!"  Great. You might want to try some aero/tone exercises so as you lose weight you see some definition.  That's a real morale booster!
    Every month there's a 100 challenge.  It starts fresh with 100 points and you set your own goals.  Can be exercise 2-3 times a week and eat right...run every day...walk the dogs or meditate...your choice.  When  you miss a goal you take off a point.  It's fun and the ladies there are wonderful.  You can get support, advice and share more than exercise. If you're  interested, check out the March 100 Challenge and meet us.  Then sign up for April...usually around the 20 or so of the month the new 'sign-up' sheet appears.  You'd be welcome!
    Slinks
    • Total Posts : 5001
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/19 15:22:39 (permalink)
    Amen to Phoenix .. a beautiful written post !! lol, if they gave out the pulitzer prize here, you'd be a winner  :-)

I'm an intermediate exersiser and I too use Leslie ..

Yikes !! I forgot to welcome KC to the forum .. please join us  :-)
    post edited by Slinks - 2010/03/19 15:24:49
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/19 18:13:16 (permalink)
    When I restarted to exercise to DVDs I used Ellen Barrett.   Low impact, easy tootwork, many of the workouts can be done barefoot.  Overall, when I started, all my joints and muscles felt stiff, and many of the workouts felt too jarring then.   Ellens DVD are  encouring and relaxing.  They helped loosen up the creaky body and prepare it for other types of workouts.  It's been a while since I was dong Ellen, and she has added new workouts.  If she appeals to you, perhaps there are others on the forum with a more info on her workouts.

I'd recommend you try a few different DVD's, so that you have a little variety.  Say pick 2 or 3 instructors or workouts/workout types that appeal to you.   And don't overlook resistance training.  Dumbells, tubing, bands, even body weight,  that sort of thing.  Many resistance workouts provide cardio while at the same time working on muscle strength or endurance.
    Mrsprincess07
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 230
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/19 21:19:44 (permalink)
    I would recommend anything by Debra Mazda!! She specializes in Plus-Sized and "Shapelier" Sized womens fitness. Anything that she does will be safe on the joints and an effective way to get you going. I'd also suggest anything by Leslie Sansone that is rated anything from Beginner to Intermediate. That will give you a good workout but it won't be such a pace that you can't keep up with.

Debra Mazda and Leslie Sansone!!

Prevention's {3-2-1}7530^ and {2 Week Turnaround}5698^ is also great! Stephanie Huckabee's {Powerfit}5681^ is great too and excellent for when you're short on time. She has 2 new systems that are currently on Pre-Order which also employ the "20 min per workout" theme including both cardio and strength workouts. I actually really enjoyed her original PowerFit and have both of her new ones on pre-order myself. I'll be using a lot of PowerFit in April as I'm have another Knee Surgery at the end of this month. Those DVDs will be a life saver for me in many ways!

All the ones I have listed above for me, are must haves especially when you are just starting out or coming back from time away from exercise.

FYI: Cardio helps to burn calories but muscle (building muscle with strength/resistance workouts) is actually what burns the fat. You need a steady balance of both cardio and strength as cardio-only will actually result in muscle loss. I could go into a huge explaination of why that is, but it's long and it's late. Do both to lose fat, build muscle, gain endurance, and reshape the body! You can't go wrong regardless of what the scale says, your body and clothes will tell a different story.
    post edited by Mrsprincess07 - 2010/03/19 21:27:00
    One Fit Lady
    • Total Posts : 2194
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/20 00:18:29 (permalink)
    Welcome KC!

Don't ever be intimedated by size or experience. Always pick something you enjoy, like dance, step, weights etc. That way you'll actually do the dvd.

The first step is just to pop in the dvd and enjoy! This forum is a great motivator with loads of great ladies ready to answer questions and share experiences. Welcome!
    Phoenix
    • Total Posts : 718
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/20 01:19:07 (permalink)
    Slinks

Amen to Phoenix .. a beautiful written post !! lol, if they gave out the pulitzer prize here, you'd be a winner  :-)

I'm an intermediate exersiser and I too use Leslie ..

Yikes !! I forgot to welcome KC to the forum .. please join us  :-)

Thanks Slinks...I'm dusting off my award shelf now :)  I can't help it, no matter how hard I try...I'm a Gemini and just have to talk!  You have no idea how much I edit...lol
    Lynn
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 454
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/20 10:44:51 (permalink)
    Welcome KC!  I have Prevention {2 week turnaround}5698^, it's two dvds-one cardio and one strength.  The cardio has two 15 min workouts, plus some bonus workouts and the strength has two 15 min workouts, plus some bonus workouts.  I emailed Chris Freytag to ask her how to set up the rotation for these.  She recommends doing all four every day for two weeks, using light wieghts (2-3 lbs) and then do them 2-3 times a week plus additional cardio for maintnance.  I also love Leslie Sansone {3 mile weight loss walk}7970^.  Anything by Ellen Barrett is good too.  If you would like to try kickboxing Ilaira {Powerstrike 5}5618^ and {Bodystrikes}5628^ are good too, low impact-good intensity.   I wish you the best of luck on your new journey!
    tigger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/03/20 18:04:09 (permalink)
    I still have weight to lose too (great with the exercise but horrible with the diet), but I quickly advanced to using almost all int. and advanced dvds (although I still do light workouts a couple days a week).  If you start a program and stick with it, you will see great results in your fitness level!  The best thing to do, IMO, is to try a few things and see what teaching style, type of workout, etc. clicks with you.  That said, Leslie Sansone has tons of workouts that can be easy or intermediate depending on number of miles, whether you add jogging, etc.  Also, I second the recommendation for {Powerfit}5681^.  It is quite flexible in that you can add a step to make the cardio more intense and add weights or heavier bands to make the strength work more intense.  This (and Leslie) are my go-to workouts when I feel tired, under the weather, etc.  Also, you might look at something fun like Turbo Jam (not for sale here) as they have workouts of different lengths and have low-impact modifiers.  Good luck on getting back into shape!
    post edited by tigger - 2010/03/20 18:07:25
    BunnyHop
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/04/03 17:36:35 (permalink)
    In the 'if it's exercise, it's good for you, even if it isn't exactly cardio in focus' camp, I'll chime in again with a bit of praise for Jari Love's original {Get Ripped}7450^. It's a weights workout, not a lot of jumping around.

The reason I find it a good beginner workout, is that there's not a lot of jumping around, the segments aren't complicated, and you can start right where you are, using your own body weight if that's all you have, and get yourself moving. In my view, that's the important thing. One small step can make all the difference.  :)
    kcbenson
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:workouts for overweight 2010/05/14 13:03:03 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your idea's :)
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1