Cardio/weight rotation idea.

Author
Lilac
Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
  • Total Posts : 901
2008/09/08 18:29:29 (permalink)

Cardio/weight rotation idea.

Hello! I really need to start doing more cardio. I like doing weight videos, but never seem to find the time to do cardio. I only have 30-60 mins a day to work out. The fact is, I don't really like cardio as much as weights, so I put it off. Anyway, I've been doing Cathe Gym Style workouts a lot lately, and I was thinking of a rotation something like this:
Mon: 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Back}7495^ Work.
Tues: 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Bicep}7495^ Work.
Wed. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Leg}7505^ Work.
Thurs. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Shoulder}7495^ Work.
Fri. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Tricep}7515^ Work.
Sat. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Leg}7505^ Work.
Sun. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Chest}7515^ Work.
How do you think that would work working only one body part with weights per day? That way I could fit in some cardio and also do some weight work. I'd only be working each upper body area once a week, but I'd be doing some upper body/weight work on back to back days, but not too much, so do you all think that would be ok? Thanks!

16 Replies Related Threads

Dawn
    • Total Posts : 4083
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 18:40:05 (permalink)

where is your days off? you should take at least 1 or 2 days,maybe a sunday or saturday and one during the week? are you a beginner? advanced?

post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/08 18:42:41
    Lilac
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 18:55:43 (permalink)
    Hi Dawn! Well, that was just an example of my rotation as I'd like to try to do it. I normally do take a day or two off during the week, because I'll get up late or something. I do plan to work out everyday, but it is probably more like 4-6 days a week.
    I've been working out for 5 or 6 years, usually to intermediate to advanced workouts.
    I started off with mostly the Firms, but now do more straight weight lifting videos. I have some aero/toning videos, but haven't been doing them lately. And I have quite a few videos with 30 min cardio like {Womens Health Train for your Body Type}7742^, {Prevention Fight Cellulite Fast}7808^, Jillian Michaels {Kickboxing}7550^. I try to do them a few times a week, but its hard when I'm also trying to do my toning videos to get everything done. I really think I need to do more cardio, but don't want to neglect my weights either. (I'm naturally a pretty weak person, so really like lifting weights to feel and look stronger.)
    I may try the rotation I mention for a couple weeks, so just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or comments or had tried anything similar?
    Oh, I know this was on another post Dawn, but I was looking at a OneHanesPlace catalog today and they had lots of bras that looked comfortable! Lots of them were in A sizes and not too expensive.
    Dawn
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 18:58:32 (permalink)
    how about

monday cardio 45-60 minutes
    Tuesday weight training
    Wed cardio 45-60 minutes
    Thursday weights training
    friday cardio 45-60minutes
    saturday short cardio and weights
    sunday- day off
    post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/08 19:00:07
    Dawn
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 19:04:54 (permalink)
    heres mine usually,I feel somedays I still do to much and a waste of time,TY! I know my sports bras are hanes and they are very comfy! 

Sunday  rest day  off
    monday cardio and weights
    tuesday cardio
    wed. cardio and weights
    thursday cardio
    friday cardio and weights or circuit workout
    saturday cardio
    post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/08 19:06:42
    Donna D
    • Total Posts : 3289
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 20:35:47 (permalink)
    Hi Lilac,

30 to 60 minutes a day is more than enough to get a very effective workout.  I try to do a Leslie Sansone Walking DVD each day, 20-30 minutes.  In addition, I break down my strength/resistance training into 3 segments, one day upper body, one day lower body, one day abs, then repeat the cycle.  Always allowing one day of rest.  Some days I use the 10 minute solutions, some days an 18 or 20 minute toning session - I like to mix them up.  Some experts believe you hinder the progress by exercising too much. 

I have copied a very interesting article from the Mayo Clinic, as well as supplying the link -http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/AN00893
    For most people, there's little evidence to support the superiority of multiset strength training. In fact, a single set of 12 repetitions with the proper weight can build strength as effectively as can multiple sets of the same exercise. Simply use a weight that tires your muscles at 12 repetitions. As you get stronger, gradually increase the amount of weight. To help ensure continued progress in your strength training program, make your strength training workouts progressively more difficult. It also helps to vary the type of exercise you perform for each muscle group.
    If you're hoping to increase muscle mass significantly — during bodybuilding, for example, or to enhance your performance in certain sports — adding additional sets may be beneficial. Remember, however, for most people there's no need to spend extra time in the gym doing multiple sets of the same strength training exercises.

Donna D.

Dawn
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 20:43:08 (permalink)

There are some girls that do way too much and dont lose the weight and dont see results that they want until they cut back. There was a couple girls that had told me this that when they had cut back thats when theystarted to see results. I also was reading that doing to much can cause the body to go into stress and it starts to hold onto fat. On a different site most girls that I know do 3-4 days cardio 30 minutes and 2-3 days weight training heavy weights. I prefer dvds but they really likeThe New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess I know  I do to much of cardio but this really helps my depression and rather do it the natural way. Take Care!!!

post edited by Dawn - 2008/09/09 07:45:32
    BobLoblaw
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/08 23:50:42 (permalink)
    I kind of disagree with the "one set is enough" idea -- as in it is enough for most people.... but most people are pretty sedentary and unfit. Maybe one set is enough to develop a basic level of fitness and provide some health benefits, which is certainly good, and better than the couch potato level many people are at. But for those of us who are more serious about improving our fitness, performance, athleticism, etc. beyond that -- one set isn't going to cut it. Which, admittedly, the article does mention (in passing). Nevertheless, I suspect the target audience for the article is the general (sedentary) public and the aim is to avoid scaring them away from exercise altogether with the idea that long workouts are necessary to improve health.
    JGirl
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/09 09:11:57 (permalink)
    But, he does say one set using a weight heavy enough to fatigue the muscle in about 12 reps.  In the regard, I think one set is probably plenty provided you're using a heavy enough weight.  That's kinda of the thought process in the New Rules of Lifting books.  Less can actually be more!
    deesharee
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/09 11:45:58 (permalink)
    Dawn

heres mine usually,I feel somedays I still do to much and a waste of time,TY! I know my sports bras are hanes and they are very comfy! 

Sunday  rest day  off
    tuesday cardio
    wed. cardio and weights
    thursday cardio
    saturday cardio

WOW! this is exactly what I am doing right now. To the tee. I do either C/W or a circuit on Fridays too!
    Ronne
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/09 13:15:19 (permalink)
    Lilac

Hello! I really need to start doing more cardio. I like doing weight videos, but never seem to find the time to do cardio. I only have 30-60 mins a day to work out. The fact is, I don't really like cardio as much as weights, so I put it off. Anyway, I've been doing Cathe Gym Style workouts a lot lately, and I was thinking of a rotation something like this:
    Mon: 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Back}7495^ Work.
    Tues: 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Bicep}7495^ Work.
    Wed. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Leg}7505^ Work.
    Thurs. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Shoulder}7495^ Work.
    Fri. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Tricep}7515^ Work.
    Sat. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Leg}7505^ Work.
    Sun. 30 Mins. Cardio and {Gym Style Chest}7515^ Work.
    How do you think that would work working only one body part with weights per day? That way I could fit in some cardio and also do some weight work. I'd only be working each upper body area once a week, but I'd be doing some upper body/weight work on back to back days, but not too much, so do you all think that would be ok? Thanks!

Hi Lilac

I did something similar to this last year and really noticed a big improvement. I lost inches and broke through a plateau. It was a similar set-up to your rotation but with one day off a week. Also, you don't have any abs in there. You might want to move things around a bit to include abs say twice a week.

Hope it works for you!

Ronne
    Lilac
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/09 16:29:54 (permalink)
    Hi Ronne! Thanks for answering my original question! I didn't think anybody was going to! LOL! I like that you said it helped you break thru a plateau. I've been at a plateau for a long time now. I think I will give it a try and include abs a few times a week too. When you did this did you use Cathe's gym style workouts?
    Dawn
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/10 07:42:22 (permalink)

Hi deesharee!! I really like this routine also!!  it seems to work good for me !!!

Ronne
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/10 10:12:31 (permalink)
    Hi Lilac

I didn't have the GS series at the time but I'm sure that would work really well.

I did the relevant sections from {Muscle Max}7445^ and {BM2}7691^ (the {BM2}7691^ sections twice through) and a separate leg workout (like {Legs & Glutes}7535^). I just did legs once a week and no cardio on that day.

I got the rotation off another website (I don't think I'm allowed to say which!).

Ronne
    sundari
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/10 19:07:56 (permalink)
    deesharee

Dawn

Sunday rest day off
    tuesday cardio
    wed. cardio and weights
    thursday cardio
    saturday cardio

me too!!

WOW! this is exactly what I am doing right now. To the tee. I do either C/W or a circuit on Fridays too!

Sundari
    Mandolyn
    • Total Posts : 1951
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/11 17:17:48 (permalink)
    Sundari that is about my exact schedule!

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 
    Dawn
    Re:Cardio/weight rotation idea. 2008/09/11 17:41:10 (permalink)

Hi Sundari,this is usually mine too!

Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1