Working out with injuries

Author
pitterpat
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/10/29 11:06:56 (permalink)

Working out with injuries

I'm a 52 yr old woman with tendonitis in my right shoulder and a torn tendon in my left shoulder which needs surgery. Obviously, push ups are out. I've also had carpal tunnel surgery and still do not have a lot of strength in my wrists/hands. I also have some arthritis in my thumbs and lower back. I've always been petite but age and inability to workout as I used to has added an extra 20 lbs. In addition to walking videos, does anyone have any suggestions what other toning and cardio videos I would be able to do? My favorite workouts are interval ones and find those to be less hard on me. Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

Laura
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2893
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/04 19:56:51 (permalink)
    Having suffered from tendonitis, I would seriously suggest you check with your doctor before following the advice above.  It doesn't sound appropriate to me.  The medicine ball will still add a significant amount of resistence to your shoulder (perhaps more than light weights).  And, I find holding the ball to be more aggravating than holding free weights. 

My suggestions (in addition to Talking to Your Doctor) are pure cardio dvds (skipping any bothersome large-arm-movements). I personally enjoy dance dvds, anything by Jen Galardi tends to be fun and well-cued.  Remember: you can skip arm movements if you feel you'd like.  Would you like to try some barre work?  It tends to focus on the lower body; element ballet comes to mind.  You might want to consider pilates, but beware than many pilates dvd include several plank positions which might be bothersome; so I immagine some might be poor choices (perhaps someone has a specific suggestion?)

Your doctor, of course, and your own instincts, will be good advisors.

Hope you heal quickly!

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson
    Laura
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/05 15:31:26 (permalink)
    To make my post less confusing: there was one post placed before it.  It has since been deleted.

"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."  ~Hans Christian Anderson
    mlb
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/05 18:07:38 (permalink)
    Hey Laura,

I remember that there was a post there before.   There is someone useing the screen name "moderator"  which is kinda confusing....I see it...think it is collage staff at first....but I don't think it is.
    Laura
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/05 21:06:41 (permalink)
    Yes, confusing.

Donna D
    • Total Posts : 3289
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/06 05:08:21 (permalink)
    mlb

Hey Laura,

I remember that there was a post there before.   There is someone useing the screen name "moderator"  which is kinda confusing....I see it...think it is collage staff at first....but I don't think it is.

I noticed that also, thought it was strange - because Collage's replies have never said moderator.
    Carol S.
    • Total Posts : 2743
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/06 08:45:35 (permalink)
    The person with the "Moderator" screen name isn't Collage.  If you click on the name, you get the person's profile.  I think that Collage should request that "Moderator" change her screen name.
    Laura
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/06 09:09:41 (permalink)
    It's also note-worthy that she doesn't have a "Collage icon."

Melanie
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 305
    Re:Working out with injuries 2008/11/07 22:39:29 (permalink)
    Can anyone who has suffered from tendonitis or bursitis of the shoulder describe what it feels like? I have been having problems since summer with my right shoulder, which high doses of ibuprofen help with, which makes me think it's minor, like tendonitis. I have an appt. with my Dr. in two weeks, but in the mean time, I'm wondering what it is.  Thanks for any input.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1