Heart Rate Slowdown

Author
xandra
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/07/04 10:21:48 (permalink)

Heart Rate Slowdown

Is it my imagination or does it become more difficult to achieve a high Heart Rate if you do cardio Daily (without a couple days off).

Do to weight gain, - my Heart Rate (which translates to calorie burn) has become very important to me so I've been doing a lot of cardio (mostly step). It seems it takes longer and longer to get it up to desired rate, and sometimes still won't get up there even tho I've been using increasing difficult vids.

Any Advice - is this a plateau? Would interval training or circuit training offset this effect.

All Advice appreciated.

6 Replies Related Threads

w.o.w.
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/04 22:24:41 (permalink)
    I have noticed that it takes me longer to get winded than it used to, but I don't use a HRM so I can't tell you exactly what my HR is. I used "perceived exertion," which is a scale that relies upon your own perception of how you feel as the indicator of how hard you are working.

I am not sure you are experiencing a plateau, but I would say that to me, it sounds like you are definitely increasing your fitness level and that your heart/lungs are more conditioned, which is a great thing. 

I would recommend weight training to your regimen if you are not already lifting weights. Weight training destroys body fat and builds muscle which is metabolically active and burns more calories at rest- building muscle has done wonders for me- I can pretty much eat what I want and I don't really gain weight (unless I throw all caution to the wind- but I do eat my treats and a pretty good diet and can eat as much as I do because of having more muscle- I used to have less and couldn't eat as much. 

HTH! :)
    w.o.w.
    • Total Posts : 2185
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/04 22:26:56 (permalink)
    Meant to say that I would recommend ADDING weight training...
    Sam
    • Total Posts : 2808
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/05 00:14:55 (permalink)
    LOL Xandra -- IT'S A GOOD THING!  Me too by the way...  I keep a chart of the workouts I have done, and one example I have is Christi's {Mission Possible}7548^ -- which burned 700 cals for me in 2007 when I was overweight, and now burns under 300.  And my average and max HR is lower, etc.  W.O.W gave some great advice -- increasing muscle mass means a metabolic boost, meaning you burn more calories even at rest.  Also, for cardio -- mix it up!  I too love step, but once you get comfy doing something, your muscle memory kicks in and the exercise becomes less effective.  You need to jump out of your comfort zone once in a while, throw your body a curveball, to shake things up and produce change.  Try kickboxing, kettlebells, interval circuits (with weights and cardio intervals), dance, etc -- in addition to step.  If you usually do steady state cardio, try high intensity intervals.  You WILL continue to get fitter, but luckily there are always more advanced moves you can do to max your HR.  The Insanity program is an example -- or Crossfit, jumping rope, Turbo Fire, kettlebell swings with 40lbs for 2 mins, etc -- there are ALWAYS higher intensity options.  You might just have to modify your current workouts to add some intensity boosters in!  Make jumping jacks into air jacks.  Turn jump roping into tuck jumps.  Wear weighted gloves/vest during step workouts.  And congrats on moving up in your fitness level!  It's what we all aspire to do :)
    Cheers,
    Sam
    Orion
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/05 00:32:07 (permalink)
    Xandra,
    I second everything said so far. Cardio will burn calories but without the muscle to keep your metabolism up you'll be in an endless cycle....
    I think, though, that a few more things should be taken into consideration:
    are you taking any rest days? even with cardio only, some rest days are imperative and not taking any is counter productive. Rest days do no have to be idle, it can be active rest - doing something that is very easy compared to workout days
    regardless of HR - are your workouts getting harder or easier? on a same w/o basis and on an increased effort basis
    have you raised the step hight?
    as for weight gain - some weight gain can't be controlled through lifestyle alone (gain due to low thyroid activity, for example) so, can you explain (to yourself) where the weight came from? or were you doing everything the same and the weight was gained non the less?

My (totally non fitness related) blog about TOC
    Lynn
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 454
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/05 00:42:47 (permalink)
    I do know that with hypothyroid heart rate slows down and weight starts creeping on little by little no matter how much you exercise.  I also have noticed that the more conditioned my lungs get the easier it is for me to get through a workout and not be winded.
    xandra
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Heart Rate Slowdown 2010/07/07 20:35:42 (permalink)
    Hi All, I've been reading (and appreciating) all of your replies, and am currently mulling them over. so that I may reply with as much thoughtfulness. Back to you all shortly -- xandra
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1