Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury

Author
erin210
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/09/07 18:16:12 (permalink)

Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury

Hello there.  I posted this on the special situations section of the forum, but thought I would try here as well.  I have recently been diagnosed with two herniated disks in my lower back.  My physical therapist has instructed me not to bounce or jump in my workouts, which is very frustrating for me to comply with.  This is because I am used to working out with Cathe Friedrich and Amy Bento and other higher intensity instructors.  Does anyone have any recs for video workouts that are lower impact but still a good workout,i.e are higher intensity and get your heart rate up to an actual good level?  I love Cathe's Low Max and would like workouts similar to that one.  I am also supposed to refrain from kickboxing- though that is nearly impossible for me since it's my favorite aerobic workout.  Any recs for specific workouts that might fit these criteria would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
post edited by erin210 - 2010/09/07 18:17:32

7 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Platinum member (300-499 posts)
    • Total Posts : 454
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/11 05:23:50 (permalink)
    What about walking dvd's?  It's hard for me to suggest things not realizing how much movement is considered too much.  Or-Ilaria {Powerstrike 5}5618^, or {bodystrke}5628^ *not so much her newest dvd's) would be low impact, can be modfied, high intensity.  But I'm not sure if the movements would aggravate your back.
    Diane LG
    Gold member (200-299 posts)
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/11 09:53:19 (permalink)
    Charlene Prickett has many low impact step workouts.  Collage doesn't sell them, you'll have to do a search.

~~~Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.~~~
    Exerciseman
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1353
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/11 18:14:47 (permalink)
    There is nothing less helpful than a vague recommendation about what not to do. Has s/he given recommendations on what you should do? S/he may have colleagues familiar with exercise videos for you to speak with or you could mention a type of workout such as pilates or ballet / barre that s/he should know something about. You could take some of the videos you think would be lower impact and show clips from Collage on-line. Your PT should be encouraging you in what "to do" and not just "not to do". Even if s/he just spoke to the types of movements to avoid it would be more helpful.

Disclaimer -  I am a nonclinical physical therapist (the money is better in management). PTs should place a greater emphsis on client support and motivation to have client's take charge of their own rehabilitation once the acute phase is over. Cients such as you who come with a natural desire to work to get better should be guided in a positive way. You are at risk for overdoing / wrong doing, but with guidance the right balance can be found.

I'll get off my soapbox now...D
    JLM
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/12 12:15:37 (permalink)
    Did you ask your PT how to maybe modify some of the moves you like to do? I found it frustrating after I broke my ankle with the physical therapy. I never really got a really good answer on what I could/could not do because they weren't familiar with my typical workouts. Good Luck!
    erin210
    Bronze member (<100 posts)
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/16 16:56:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I had my last physical therapy appointment today and I was given the go-ahead to get back to my regular exercise activities in 6 weeks.  I can try kickboxing again in 2 weeks, but no high impact and/or jumping for the additional 6 weeks.  She did give me some suggestions on how to modify things I like to do, so I am feeling less discouraged.  I really appreciate all the input here and in the other part of the forum I posted my question in.  I have ordered some of the videos mentioned here and look forward to trying them out.  Thanks again!
    JLM
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/16 19:13:26 (permalink)
    That sounds like good news! Six weeks feels like a long time. Just remember to keep moving and it will be here soon. Who knows - you might even find a new workout or type that you didn't even know you liked!
    Orion
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Low impact, high intensity for person with low back injury 2010/09/19 03:39:38 (permalink)
    I'm a bit late with my answer, but better late then never - Last week I started a CLX rotation and this has a lot to offer in the no impact high intensity realm - heavy lifting (very heavy) gets you HR through the roof with no impact AT ALL and the aerobic w/os in the set always offer low impact modifications that allow you to go at a very high intensity, it also uses a toning band around the legs for some sets which adds a level of intensity without any need for impact. I also think high volume sets of sculpting moves can give you a very high intensity w/o and no impact - do 1 min on, 15 secs off of things liek body weight squats and lunges, light weighted hand exercises..... KBells might also be a good idea.

My (totally non fitness related) blog about TOC
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1