Workout routine

Author
silvia.p
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 9
2010/10/06 12:55:04 (permalink)

Workout routine

Hi everyone

First of all I would like to say that I love your website!! I think that you are doing an amazing job!
I am from Switzerland and just came across your website a few days ago and I have already spent hours on it ;-).

I have a question about my workout routine. I would like to loose weight, strengthen my body and get fit. I am very motivated and ready to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. But I am not sure when / how long / how often I should work out. I don't want to over do it but I also want to achieve my goals in the fastest way possible. Here is some information about me: I am 23, 160cm and I weight 65kg. So as you can see I am not overweight but I am curvy. I definitely want to go with my weight below 60kg. I think my "ideal" weight would be around 55kg.

Now I was thinking about doing some cardio in the morning before breakfast and going to the university (30min - 60min) maybe with Zumba and then in the evening doing some strengthening workout (core fusion dvds, jillian michaels {30 day shred}7963^) and maybe also some cardio (the firm -  {calorie explosion}5882^). (I was told not to do strengthening exercise in the morning before breakfast).

I also have a gym membership and I go there on the crosstrainer, elliptical, etc. And I own the following dvds (beside the already mentioned ones): David Kirsch {New York Body}7443^, David Kirsch 7 day Prescription, Mel B {Totally fit}5643^, and the Billy Blanks Boot Camp DVDs.

As you can see I have a lot of options to choose from and that is exactly my problem! I don't know which DVD's I should use, how much time per day I should spend doing sports and how much resting days in between, etc.

As I have already told you I am very motivated and would even do 4 hours of sport per day if that is what it takes but I am afraid that I'll over do it and harm my body instead of bringing it in shape and being more healthy!

So I would really appreciate your professional advice.

Thank you very much in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me.

Kind regards
Silvia

17 Replies Related Threads

Orion
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/07 14:42:12 (permalink)
    Hi Silvia,

Welcome to the forum!

I took the liberty of checking out your BMI and you are just a bit above 25 which means you are slightly over weight, but lose 1 kg and your BMI will be healthy!

I am wondering why are you so rushed to lose the weight? it is always much better to lose slowly 2-4 kg per month is a healthy range, faster than that is probably not.

There is no point in working out 4 hours a day - with the addition of life and school this is far to much stress for your body. I truely belive that 30-60 mins a day is enough, you can split it up anyway that fits your life, and if you have the time you can go up to 90 mins on some days. Make sure you have at least 1 rest day in your week, you can do light w/o like yoga that day for active recovery or just take a full day's rest.

I've never heard of the no lifting before breakfast rule - I know it is hard to lift heavy and to failure if you have not "fueled" correctly but the body adapts quickly, just eat enough protein before bed and you'll adjust in no time.

Last but not least - in order to lose weight you need to make sure your diet is top notch and you are burning more cals than you are consuming.

Good luck!

My (totally non fitness related) blog about TOC
    silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/08 13:25:05 (permalink)
    Hi Orion

First of all thank you for taking the time to answer me!

Maybe I expressed myself in the wrong way. I know that it is not possible to lose 5kg in one week. I just meant that I want my workout to be efficient. Meaning that I don't want to lose time doing something that doesn't bring me as far as something else.

Concerning my eating habits: I'm currently on a diet where I eat only carb in the morning, 5 hours nothing, carb and protein for lunch, 5 hours nothing and only protein for dinner.

So I suppose if I lift some weight in the morning and just eat carbs in the morning then my muscles need protein and therefore it would be better to do the lifts before dinner with protein. Don't you think?

I have one more questions. For example jilian michaels 30day shred implies that you do the workout every day. But is that really healthy? I mean muscles need to recover in order to build up, right?

Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Kind regards
    Silvia
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/08 15:12:51 (permalink)
    OK, from here on you get my opinion on things and only my opinion. I am not a pro but I read a lot and try to look at things from a logical point of view, taking into account the fact our body is a biological mechnism that conforms to simple rules of physics.

1 - your diet seems, and I'll be polite, odd. I am totally against any kind of food separation diet. Have read a lot lately that eating just carbs for breakfast is very bad, esp. for students since it triggers a drop in blood sugar within a couple of hours - meaning it is harder to concentrate. As far as diet goes there is only one rule - eat less than your body needs (not to little, though, or your body will react and will need less). I've lernt through trial and error that I need about 30%+ of cals to come from protein, throughout the day. Also - why go without food for so long? it is highly recomended to eat every 3-4 hours. If you, specifically, just don't feel hunger or need for food - I say don't eat but if this is the system, I beg to differ.

2 - about working out: regarding {30 days shred}7963^ - some people can workout without recovery days (not me), it is highly unrecomended. I don't like that workout or Jillian as a DVD trainer. If your point it to be efficient and effective - train on most days, do plenty of cardio (even daily), at least 2 strength sessions per week, preferably more and don't shy away from heavy lifting, at least 1 stretch/yoga session per week but you can do it daily if you have the time and will. Use whatever workouts you like and enjoy. Every 4-6 weeks change things up - up your weights, change the workouts and styles and so on to create muscle confusion.

3 - Weight loss - it is the best bet to aim for a loss of 0.5 kg per week and no more. That means 500 cals deficit daily. There are plenty of tools that will help you calc how much to eat to acheive that based on your w/o level. Another important thing is to live actively - choose activity over inactivity: stairs over lift, bike over car, walk as much as possible and so on, it adds up.
    post edited by Orion - 2010/10/08 15:13:46

AnnieBananie
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/08 18:23:27 (permalink)
    I just want to add my 2 cents by following Orion and saying "what she said" on pretty much every point : )  Very welll said, and well-thought-out comments.   You make a lot of sense.  While I am not a college aged student any longer (sigh), I know that alcohol and sleep can play big parts in a young person's life.  Weight loss would be aided by trying to limit the former and getting plenty of the latter : )  

Silvia, I hope you will give Orion's suggestions some thought because I believe she has provided some very good information for you.  Best of luck!

~~The yogini says to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."
    silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 03:22:27 (permalink)
    Hi guys

Thank you very much for your answers!

@AnnieBananie: I appreciate your comment and your help. But as I don't drink alcohol and really like to sleep this shouldn't be a problem :-).

@Orion: Your answer was really helpful, thank you. I have now drawn up a sample workout plan. Would this be how you would recommend it?

Day 1, 4:
    Morning: 10min Yoga, 40min. Cardio (Zumba)
    Evening: 20min. Strength (JM - {30days Shred}7963^)

Day 2, 5:
    Morning: 10min Yoga, 40min. Cardio (The Firm - {Calorie Explosion}5882^)
    Evening: 20-30min. Strength ({Core Fusion Body Sculpt}5619^ or {Core Fusion Pilates Plus}5609^)

Day 3, 6: Rest (or some Yoga)

Also, can you maybe recommend any good Yoga DVD? I looked at some but a lot of them focus more on toning and weight loss than on stretching and relaxation I thought.

And another question: what does w/o level mean? 

About my diet:
    To be honest I am a little bit lost in this subject because everybody says something different. I have been eating this summer a while with a "fatburner" method that said to eat 5 times a day (every 3 hours or so) and to always combine carbs, protein and (low) fat. I did it and ate a lot of really healthy things like wholemeal bread and turkey, yogurts, apples and kiwis, oatmeal with milk and I did sports with cardio, strenghtening, etc. like 5 times a week. And the arguments to do so sounded very logical to me. Although I did feel very healthy and energised, I didn't really lose weight (or inches).

So I decided to try this diet that I am currently on because it is a very famous diet in Germany from a nutritionist that has written a lot of books about it and what he writes in his books seemes also very logical to me. (For example if you eat something in between the big meals you stop your fatburning, protein in the evening activates the fatburning through the night, etc.).

As I am not a nutritionist I can only believe what they write and what sounds logical to me. And also during this week that I am now doing this diet I did notice that I actually don't need to eat something in between. It was more of a desire for food than it was an actual hunger. So with this method I did learn to listen more to my body and what he really needs. And if I get really hungry after 4 hours I eat then - so I don't wait for one hour starving just to get to those 5 hours! But I did learn to only eat when my body is hungry.

By the way: my problem was never that I eat too much (like big quantities) but that I eat the wrong things.

Again thank you very much for your help! I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards
    Silvia
    post edited by silvia.p - 2010/10/09 03:53:31
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 05:40:37 (permalink)
    If it works for you - do it, I will never argue with success...
    No matter what system you are using or how healthy is the food you eat weight loss is the simple result of caloric deficit. Remember - you can get fat on healthy foods just as much as you can do it on junk food. I would highly recommend tracking calories for a while, just to make sure. If you truely believe you created that deficit but did not lose the weight - calling in on the doc might be a very good idea since there are some clinical situations that need to be ruled out - such as low thyroid level.

Your rotation seems logical and sound.

I can't recomend a yoga DVD but there are a lot of threads about this subject - try running a search or asking in the DVD section.

w/o level is defined by collage by the amount of sessions you do per week and the amount of time you have been consistent, but I can't find it in their site and I don't have a copy of the print catalog at hand. You can refer to it as begginer = just starting out, int = a bit challanging, adv = very challanging. You'll see people define it differently, mostly by what trainers you can keep up with.

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 06:45:06 (permalink)
    Hi Orion

Thank you once again for your reply.

So do I understand correctly that I could also eat for example only chocolate the whole day as long as I have a caloric deficit of 500 per day I would lose weight? (Don't worry I know that this would be really unhealthy I just wanted to make an extreme example to make sure that I understood you).

Ok, so I checked on a website how many calories I should eat per day and it stated 1716. Does that mean that in order to lose weight I need to eat only 1216 calories per day (1716-500) ?

And it also stated that I need 143g Protein, 183g Carbs and 40g Fat per day.

UPDATE: I just checked another source and there it says that I need 2600 calories per day, 52g Protein, 325g carbs and 86g fat. Which one is now correct?

UPDATE 2: I just calculated an average day with the food I eat and I have the following result: 1166 calories, 64.6g protein, 143.9g carb, 36.1g fat. I think this is not bad, isn't it?

But isn't it also important when I eat the food? I mean if I eat half of the calories needed the whole day right before I go to bed that would also have a negative effect, right?

Sorry if my questions are stupid or anoying, I just really want to make sure that I get it right.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards
    Silvia
    post edited by silvia.p - 2010/10/09 08:11:08
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 10:56:35 (permalink)
    Yes, you can eat only choclate and still lose weight, if you create the deficit. I have tried it in the past - 1000 cals of junk, let me tell you, is very little food, I regreted it.

As per those web sites - I can't answer since I don;t know what they calculate and how. I've used the site I like (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#) for you (You are 23 years old, 65 kg,5 feet 3 inchs, working out 5 times a week right?) and got the following:
    Maintenance:  2010 Calories/day
    Fat Loss:  1608 Calories/day
    Extreme Fat Loss:  1206 Calories/day

The lowest number it highly NOT recommended, it is the bare minimum for you. They also offer a tool for planning out how to cycle your cals through the week, which is a nifty thing allowing you to "fool" your body by having higher cal days through the week.

I'm using the data from that site to help me lose weight. BTW I'm about 10 cm higher than you and I eat a good 500 cals more than you on average and still lose weight.

It is possible you are eating too little so your body is lowering your caloric consumption rate to make sure you have enough energy for the vital things such as heart rate and brain function. Consider going higher.

When you eat has an impact, of course, but I find again and again that our bodies are "smart" and can adjust to a lot of things. So it is not too wise to eat a lot of cals just before bed but if that happens, no big deal. There probably is a "perfect" way to eat, but it is very personal since we are all unique. I don't think it will justify the effort of figuring it out, I'm content with good enough eating habits.

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 11:20:01 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply!

Ok, so I should eat more then. Now my question (and it might sound stupid) how is the best way to eat more? I mean sure I could eat some more chocolate or cookies but that is not really healthy. And more salad doesn't really increase the calories so much. Well maybe I need to figure this one out on my own ...

If you don't mind ... could you maybe tell me how/what you eat throughout the day? As you mentioned you are also trying to lose weight at the moment and in your case it works. That would be really helpful, I hope it is not too much to ask.

However, thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards
    Silvia
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 11:37:55 (permalink)
    Sure, no problem....

Breakfast is mostly 1-2 eggs (fried on Teflon with oil spray or hard boiled) with some cheese and vegetables, rarelt cereal with soy milk (can't eat regular milk). Sometimes I add a yogurt and sometimes I split them so the yogurt is a snack.

Lunch is 120-150 gr of protein (fish. turkey breast....) with cooked veggies or a salad and some carbs such as half a cup of rice or couscous (pref whole). If I'm on the run I get thin crust pizza with veggies - not the best choice but I love pizza.

Dinner is a huge salad from tomato, cucamber, carrot, coleraby, lettuce, peper, cabbage with tuna or pumpkin seeds, to this we add a piece of home made whole bread, a spread of cheese and a little high quality french type cheese.

Throughout the day I snack on babybell cheese, yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, sometimes I make a tortia pizza and so on. Many evenings I have a piece of high quality dark choclate with herbal tea.

We eat out  at least once a week and have a big family meal where I make desset at least once a week. It balances out.

I have checked out the nutrition data of foods for McDonalds (where my boys like to eat) and for my favorite coffee shop chain (Called Aroma here, they have a presence in Europe under a different name) so I can easily plan them into my schedule or react to unexpected changes in plan....

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 11:46:55 (permalink)
    Thank you.

So from what I read you eat more or less 5 times a day and always mix carbs, protein, fat, right?

Maybe I'll calculate the calories of the things that I was eating when I ate that way this summer. It might be that it just added up too much or too less ... because I did feel great eating that way ...

And how does your workout routine look like?
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/09 12:38:39 (permalink)
    I eat 3 meals an 2-3 snacks, so yeah, more or less what you said.

I workout 6 times a week, following the CLX system - 3 days of HEAVY (real HEAVY) lifting - I add 20-30 mins of cardio to make sure I'm warmed up real good and a 10 min full body stretch since last time I tried this program it I pulled a muscle. To this I add 3 days of cardio - one is intervals of high intensity aerobic mixed with very light weight lifting for endurance, one is athletic drills and one is steady state (I'm trying to do roller balde for this), on cardio days I add drills to prepare me for ski season (killer drillls) and 2 days of ab work, 1 day long and through strech or yoga.

I love love love working out very hard, near the point of total collapse. This last week I took things down just a notch to let my body recover and I so craved the andrenalin rush I get when I have pushed my self to the edge. My point is this workout plan is pretty crazy and not necessary for getting good results - it's just what I love.
    When I finish the CLX rotation (it is 3 month) I am planning on looking into bar type w/o but I'm not sure I'll go down in intensity.

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/10 03:47:31 (permalink)
    Dear Orion

Thank you so much for all your help, support, information, etc.!!

I'll now try to incorporate everything in my daily life!

Kind regards from Switzerland

Silvia
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/11 02:28:00 (permalink)
    Another important point to make, I think, is that lifestyle choices have a GREAT impact. When ever, where ever you can add activity - do it. It does not have to feel like a workout, it does not have to be hard, you heart need not pound, your muscles need not strain. Go for a walk or a strall, window shop, bike with friends, go out dancing - anything and everything counts.
    I'm not saying you don't need to workout - you do, for a ton of reasons (better health, increased muscle mass....) just that you can't ignore lifestyle,either. I just read somewhere that they did an estimation and our cavemen forefathers (and mothers) walked about 10,000 steps each day. Of course the hunters did quite a bit of running but the gatherers probably did all that walking at a light and easy pace.......

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/12 12:31:03 (permalink)
    Yes, indeed.

It is also another point that I still have to work on :-).
    Thank you for mentioning it!

Kind regards
    Silvia
    Orion
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/16 05:30:02 (permalink)
    Just bumped over this website today and thought you might find it helpful
    http://www.hussmanfitness.org/

silvia.p
    Re:Workout routine 2010/10/19 13:36:26 (permalink)
    Hi everyone

@Orion: Thank you so much for the link! It is nice of you to think of me and to post this link for me!!

I also wanted to take the time to tell you about my progress.
    Although it has only been two weeks since I joined this forum and opened this topic I have really had a change in my lifestyle. Everyday I walk at least 30min. outside (e.g. I get out of the bus a few stations before home) and overall I have become more active in my life and not only been focusing on sports. This has really improved my quality of life and especially with the temperatures dropping I am also doing something for my immune system.

As for my "diet" I eat now 3 - 4 times a day and only when I am really hungry (not just desire for food). And in every meal I mix carbs, protein, fat. I try to eat carbs with a low glycemic index and of course the healthy fat options. Although I also let myself eat a piece of chocolate or cookies or so from time to time but only in combination of a meal and not as a snack.

My sport routine is really fun for me and everyday after doing my workout I am already eager to do the next one. I have my workout plan but I also listen to my body and if he needs it I also put a recovery day in.
    Furthermore I bought a heart rate monitor which is in my opinion really useful to track your heart rate, calories and overall fitness. The model I bought also suggest you a training programm according to your age, weight, fitness, etc. And it tells you in which zone you are training and how many calories and fat that you have burned during your workout. At the end of the week it tells you if you have met your goals or if you need to train more or squeeze in a recovery week. So this really keeps you informed about your body and it also helps to stay motivated. I bought it especially to make sure that I don't overdo it and to be able to get a better understanding of how intense my workouts are and to get to know my body better.

So again THANK YOU to everyone who has given me advice and suggestions. I'll definitely keep up this lifestyle for a while because boy am I motivated! And I'll keep you informed about my progress.

Kind regards
    Silvia
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1