Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule

Author
april78
Bronze member (<100 posts)
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/11/15 20:35:39 (permalink)

Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule

I am a stay at home mom who trying to get my body back in shape after having a baby a year ago. I work out at home and I rotate mostly Ellen Barrett DVDS ( I own all of them even the Crunch ones and LOVE them), Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs, and Denise Austin {Hit the Spot Pilates}7500^ DVD. I usually take one rest day a week. I love Ellen because she incorporates pilates into most of her workouts which really tagets my problem areas of abs and inner/outer thighs.  My question is it OK to do pilates everyday? Many of the DVDs in my rotation including the cardio ones have similiar abs and thigh "moves".  I've heard that because muscles need time to recover, you are not supposed to work the same ones everyday.  My thinking was by working these problem areas everyday I would be able to see results sooner but I dont want to waste my time if thats incorrect..

7 Replies Related Threads

Alice Kathleen
    Platinum Elite (500+ posts)
    • Total Posts : 1090
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/16 07:14:21 (permalink)
    Hi,  I am 65 years old and do Pilates every day,  at least the basic "series of five" and the basic legs. Thisseries takes about 15 min to do, max.    I started doing Pilates age 49 when I had an accident that ruptured my achilles tendon completely and had surgical repair,  stuck in a cast for 3 months and a brace for 3 months after that,  decided to learn Pilates.  I use both videos and my years of doing it, but my fav video is "Classical Pilates", also "10 Min Solution {Rapid Results Pilates}7663^".   Joe designed his workouts as something one could do DAILY  and then go do a sport, dance, etc !   I am not a Pilates instructor, but I sure say that Pilates has been good for my back,  keeps me limber,  and darn strong and straight for my age!   I carry my mat on our trips (we are retired) and love doing Pilates by the hotel pool or in the room.   Again,  I do about 15 to 20 min daily along with my other activities, whether strength training, or other activity.  On my "strength training days,  I may do more, and occasionally like to try some of the
    more challenging  (for me) moves like "Star" and "Boomerang".     Weight control for me is diet and portion control. Best to you from another Pilates fan!  Alice   
    PS My fav book is Powers Pilates by Stephanie Pilates,  I take it on every trip. 
    PPS I take a day "off" every week and just do hatha yoga, just to be accurate. 
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2010/11/16 09:33:17
    Lilac
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/16 10:37:00 (permalink)
    I think all the workouts you have are ok to do everyday.
    Maybe just alternate the more cardio ones with the less cardio ones.
    I think muscles need a day of rest only when working one muscle group very hard with heavy weights.
    Alice Kathleen
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/18 13:19:21 (permalink)
    Hi again, I just did a video that I rented from the library, Ana Caban Pilates for Weight Loss.  I loved the pace,  the set, the music, and the fact that she used classical moves in sequence.  I think you might like it.  It was only 30 min, nice way to start the day.
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2010/11/18 13:19:47
    april78
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/18 16:11:37 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for the responses! Alice, how thoughful of you to think of me! I really love pilates and I am kind of a pilates DVD junkie and I am always looking for another good one.  I do have one of Ana's that is really good so I think I will have to try that one for sure. It feels so great to be back to working out again and I am determined to not only look just as good as when I had my baby boy but better :)
    Alice Kathleen
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/19 07:01:30 (permalink)
    You are welcome,  and with Pilates,  we cannot go wrong!
    My library has quite a few books and videos, and this oneby Ana was a nice surprise.   I may have to get it!
    I started my home Pilates with Jennifer Kries.    I did not care for the recent"Hot Body" video,  but still have the Precision Pilates, etc from 90's.   You might like them for your collection if you do not already have them.   In fact,  I think I will do one thismorning!  She is an interesting instructor who danced with  the ballet in Paris, and in her earlier ones,  she would toss in a bit of French!
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2010/11/19 07:02:48
    april78
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/19 09:30:18 (permalink)
    That is too funny! The first pilates DVD I bought was Mari Winsor's original infomercial set. I did that one for a while until someone (probaby on here) suggested Jennifer's Precision Pilates and I absolutely loved it and that still remains my favorite to this day. Its pretty long but I really like it because its very thorough and I always feel amazing afterwards. Plus, her flexibility level is enviable and gives me something to strive for! I also have the one from the 90s that is divided into 10 minute sections which I can remeber the name of but it is pretty good as well.  Her new ones really dont interest me.  I told my husband I only want two things this Christmas- Kari Anderson's {Reach}7509^ and Angles Lines and Curves. These look absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to get them! Do you have them? They look really challenging but I think they would really compliment my collection because I really dont have any advanced level pilates DVDS...
    Alice Kathleen
    Re:Need advice regarding Pilates and workout schedule 2010/11/19 18:25:00 (permalink)
    Hi,  I do like Kari,  also a dancer with lovely form.  I bought Angles, but cannot remember why I donated it to library!  I did Pilates Perfect Mix by Jennifer this morning after posting! I don't keep a great many on hand,  no real reason,  perhaps I made a mistake in not keeping them all!   There is ONE however that I love.  "Classical Pilates".   I had to lie, cheat, and steal to get it.  Also,  there is Jonathan Urla.  You might like his "Yogalites" earlier videos, one and two,  I have both. He has a nice set and music and is a dancer also.  I love the beginning where he does a handstand.    I don't care for either Maria or Stott Pilates,  cannot tell you why, though I have bought and used both.  It's hard for me to finda video that stands up to viewing again and again and again!I bought Denise Austin's Pilates too and kept it at work to do on our video player there.   (lucky, eh?).  But if you want advanced, find the Classical Pilates video   I also like to check out library books on Pilates or buy them at book sales. Hmmm... how about asking for a Class at a local studio?  I would love to work out on the Reformer, and google Stott Pilates and check out their equipment.  Amazing.  Boy, if I were rich,  I would have my house/yard filled with these! Yes,  it's a most wonderful system of exercise.  It's more dynamic than yoga, but great flexibility work.   If you cannot find the "Classical Pilates" let me know.  Here's to Joe, with thanks! Alice
    post edited by Alice Kathleen - 2010/11/19 18:27:27
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1